Quantcast

some info about HT Frame

Éric_

Chimp
Jan 27, 2004
Mtl, Qc, Canada
I want a new Hardtail frame. Less than 7 pound (around 6 or less would be the best), vertical dropouts, steep headangle (~71° on a 3inches fork) and short chainstays (~400mm) is what I want. I'm gonna run gears with a 3 inches travel fork, disc brakes and euro bb. I'm not really smooth but I don't go really big either... I only run technical urban stuff, trails and road (It will be my all around bike). I am 5'9" and 150 pounds. Here's what I found:

Evil frames: The Imperial... (but I would wait for the SL, I don't like the super slack seat tube angle) The D.O.C. (Cheap, but slacker head angle than what I want. How much does it weight?) or the Sovereing (perfect)

Planet-X bikes: the Ghost is really light (4.7 pounds), but more of a trial geo. Jackflash also.

Kona Cowan: how much does it weight? how short can the wheelbase be?

Any other suggestion?
I would prefer in the range of 600$ cnd but I might save a bit more if I can't find what I want. (sovereing or Imperial SL)

thanks again

EDIT: found out the weight of the Sovereing by myself

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
The Evil DOC is going to weight 6.1 lbs(same as the imperial),put your name on the waiting list now if you want the DOC. I'm #25 for the black reg and i might not even get one till March. I beleive that the SL is already out but it is a very limited production so good luck. your best bet would be to call evil.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
hm...i wonder how that's gonna work. i'll likely be quite bitter if i have to wait till march. i pre-ordered through Unreal, though.

Unreal

Chimp
Sep 26, 2001
Seattle, WA
I have a bunch on pre-order and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. They should ship in January. The margins on those frames aren’t all that great so I don’t expect most dealers to stock big piles of them. I guess I slept through that business class though, because I don’t really care about how much I’m making off the frames. They’re going to be steel, they have wicked geometry, and they got the Evil name on the downtube… that’s all I need to know :-)

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
PX newjack flash its pretty much what you described, of corce the evil is good (great) too. the 24 letoy aswell, always a favorite.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sounds like you want a 26" BMX bike...how about a Gack?

MD

Edit: Sorry, has horizontal drops. I'll keep thinking.

Unreal

Chimp
Sep 26, 2001
Seattle, WA
I just read your post again... do yourself a favor and check out the Jack Flash. If you like a good super techy trials-like but not trials bike, light weight, stiff and responsive, and want something that's actually available in shops right now, it's a great choice.

I always keep them in stock. They aren’t right for most riders needs, but if you like your bikes quick, tight, light, and fun, they’re one of the best options around. If you like hoping up on stuff as much as wheelie dropping off the other side, they’re mad fun. Just don’t try drifting one down a fire road at 40mph… ask me how I know :-)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, and what about the Evil Sovereign? Looks like if you use a short fork, it's pretty darn steep, and the chainstays go down to 15.5".

DW posted the tech spec sheets in my thread below...

MD