Quantcast

Some miserable soul...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
stole my bike. At the trails no less (not our trails, some friends' spot). We were checking out another area at the trails and left our bikes and stuff in the main part. Came back, and my Stricker was gone. Everything else was still there. So, that's pretty lame.

The good news is, my buddy Andrew Jackson hooked me up. He gave me his old WTP frame and a bunch of parts. I had some stuff laying around and was able to build up a new bike. There's only one problem... his WTP frame doesn't have brake mounts. So I'm officially brakeless... something I never thought I would do. It's fun and scary all at the same time. The bike feels so solid without a brake. You drop it and all you hear is the bounce from the tires. Flying through the trails feels about the same, except you have to commit the first time and every time (I bailed once). Stopping is the adventure, especially since it's in an area that we purposely designed to give as much speed as possible. :crazy:

Here's the new (used) ride. Don't know the build exactly, but it's pretty much WTP everything, except for the grips (longnecks), pedals (animal pc), and tires (primo). Thanks Andrew!!

Last edited:

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Damn Jeremy, that sucks, what trails did it happen at? At least andrew hooked you up though, I'll keep an eye out for your bike

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Bummer man, I hate to hear that kind of thing....
Keep us informed on how the brakeless thing works out for you. :D

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Would that work? I'd have to drill a hole in the bridge. I'll probably just go brakeless for awhile. It's kinda fun.

James, it was at the palms.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
That sucks bro, beat that ****ers ass once you find your bike, you probably will within a few months. Good thing you got homies to hook you up. Brakeless is craze.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Serious bummer but you seem to be taking it better than most of us would so props for that.

Kind of cool though you ended up riding brakeless for the first time as a result.

Good luck on the bike recovery.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Would that work? I'd have to drill a hole in the bridge. I'll probably just go brakeless for awhile. It's kinda fun.
A caliper brake was all we had back in the day....
You could put on on the front, if your fork is drilled. I know a guy that's always run ONLY a front brake.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
That sucks about the bike. Wait so don't you still have the Simple bike or did you get rid of that?

Its likely that if the trails were hidden, then the person had to know someone in order to know about the trails, so ask around. Maybe drive around to all the local spots.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, I still have my Simple. But, it's in pieces and is slowly coming back together.

Those trails are in the middle of a neighborhood and every kid knows about them. All the local heads know it got snagged and will keep an eye out.

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
That's ironic, I just bought a white Stricker frame and a rear wheel with a chrome rim just like yours. Funny, huh? If you want it, I'll sell it to you super cheap.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I'll keep an eye out for it around town. I've seen some sketchy motherfvckers at those trails