Quantcast

Some New DH Bikes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
fucking hell ebikes

i agree with all/most of the above. it's not necessarily that DH is dying, but it sure is on this forum. I'm considering selling my DH bike (after platty fall riding) as it just doesn't get used. I'd rather have the money to sink into a project car that I can throw the endurbro bike in and head to the local trails for an extra three hours of riding that I don't have to spend in the car. In another 6y, I hope to be taking the kids to thunder, if they're still open...

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Maybe I’m just lucky geographically, but at 45 with twin 10 year olds, I ride my DH bike more than I ever have. To the point that when the lifts open, I don’t care to see my trail bike all that much until they close. Stopped racing a few years ago, as full weekend trips were too much all the time. I’m an hour and a half from Thunder or Highland, so day trips or even half days are easy. A few weekend trips to Killington and life is good. My girls have just this year shown interest in riding at Thunder. I can’t wait to get them up there for a few runs. I have no plans to sell the DH bike anytime soon. Looking forward to a new frame hopefully next year. #longlivedh

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Maybe I’m just lucky geographically, but at 45 with twin 10 year olds, I ride my DH bike more than I ever have. To the point that when the lifts open, I don’t care to see my trail bike all that much until they close. Stopped racing a few years ago, as full weekend trips were too much all the time. I’m an hour and a half from Thunder or Highland, so day trips or even half days are easy. A few weekend trips to Killington and life is good. My girls have just this year shown interest in riding at Thunder. I can’t wait to get them up there for a few runs. I have no plans to sell the DH bike anytime soon. Looking forward to a new frame hopefully next year. #longlivedh
Nice. If you’re in striking distance of lift runs a dh bike is mandatory.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
switched over to gravel biking, so much fun!
Yeah, soon they will put a suspension fork on them, then a flat bar and a 110mm stem, then huge 1.9" tyres and the horrible XC bikes of the 90's will be reborn.

Where does the Gravel bike fit in the bike spectrum?- Fixie, Cruiser, Road, Touring, CX, XC, AM, ENDURO, Mini DH, DH, and an e-Bike in each flavor.

Riding everything poorly and getting carpal tunnel while doing so seems like a pretty odd way to have fun. Then again, I ride an Enduro hardtail that also does everything poorly but I find it enjoyable and only have one bike so there's no "I didn't bring the right bike" excuse.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Yeah, soon they will put a suspension fork on them, then a flat bar and a 110mm stem, then huge 1.9" tyres and the horrible XC bikes of the 90's will be reborn.
already on 2.1" tires

Where does the Gravel bike fit in the bike spectrum?- Fixie, Cruiser, Road, Touring, CX, XC, AM, ENDURO, Mini DH, DH, and an e-Bike in each flavor.
it's for riding fast offroad when there are no hills.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So it's a touring bike with the bags taken off?

Best CX riding I have seen-

EDIT- I tried to watch a video explaining why Gravel bikes exist but I heard "UCI" so I stopped watching.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
fucking hell ebikes

i agree with all/most of the above. it's not necessarily that DH is dying, but it sure is on this forum. I'm considering selling my DH bike (after platty fall riding) as it just doesn't get used. I'd rather have the money to sink into a project car that I can throw the endurbro bike in and head to the local trails for an extra three hours of riding that I don't have to spend in the car. In another 6y, I hope to be taking the kids to thunder, if they're still open...
All forums are dying. Unless a site resembles a social media BS portal the forums are dead. I don't think it's an RM specific problem.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Road bike sales are down 24% in the past two years across most of the industry. Maybe all the roadies are infiltrating mountain bikes and sucking the joy out of them. There's already been some roadie threads on RM started by God knows who.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I had the Mont Saint Anne thread open during the race but there is a hesitancy to post about things like Danny Hart's smelly armpit when there are so few people posting in the thread. I'll post my inane thoughts and random reactions in the next World Cup thread in the hope others will follow suit.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
My old Trek rep. He's a pretty shady dude that nobody likes though, so take it for what you will. My buddy at Giant didn't give me specific numbers for them, but said road bike sales have plummeted in the past few years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My old Trek rep. He's a pretty shady dude that nobody likes though, so take it for what you will. My buddy at Giant didn't give me specific numbers for them, but said road bike sales have plummeted in the past few years.
So the golf trend is over? Interesting to hear that though. Any idea of the sales numbers are shifting to other segments of cycling? I'm guessing so, because from what I've read the industry as a whole isn't doing that badly.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Rode one of those once. The suspension and handling was surprisingly good. Too bad they weighed as much as a dump truck.
They were supposed to be pretty flexy in the back end but I never got to ride one or even see one, I do need to watch Seasons again though.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
So it's a touring bike with the bags taken off?
more like oldschool mtb hardtail geo but with (dirt) drops, that's my go anywhere bombtrack hook ext-c, perfekt for the area around berlin, there are lots of trails but everything's flat like 9 year old. the highest "mountain" here is like 80m, so no need for any suspension at all

Attachments

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Yay, it's a new downhill bike. It's also 29".

Pricing is surprisingly reasonable at $6,449 for the X01 build, $4,199 for the GX build and $2,279 for the frameset.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Gravel and bike packing is definitely where the young, hip ex-fixxie kids are now. Around here some of em are starting to dip their toes into actual mountain biking too. Steel is real (marketable via Instagram).

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I wonder if Sam Hill ever wrecks his tats?

Well speaking of DH, if it wasn't for Crankworx, I'd be up in Whistler right right now! But I'll settle for a ride up on Seymour this afternoon, and tomorrow hit up Squamish.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Any idea of the sales numbers are shifting to other segments of cycling?
I dunno, I'm no expert, but at least around Toronto, there seems to be more trail clogging vermin than ever....

And of everyone already owns a roadie, why are they going to go buy another one?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So the golf trend is over? Interesting to hear that though. Any idea of the sales numbers are shifting to other segments of cycling? I'm guessing so, because from what I've read the industry as a whole isn't doing that badly.
A shop my friend runs sells a ton of super expensive triathlon bikes. All the dentists and corporate email forward managers need to do triathlon now and push each other off bikes beause it's easier than training

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
With Ironman being hyped by private equity and sold to a chinese conglomerate a couple years ago, it does seem there is a ton of new high dollar marketing in Triathlon. #goals #socialmediafitnessregimen

I guess it's the new Spartan Race/ Tough Mudder (or would that be the original 1980s spartan race type of thing, whatever...).