Quantcast

Some Super help please?

Eddie_Lad

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
Manchester UK
hi lads/lasses

wondering if anyone can give me a lil bit of help with a santa sruz super 8....being a brit no-one really knows much

right ime getting a 2001 used super 8 for £850 or $1300

but no-one seems to have any technical info in my lil country so ive emailed santa cruz....but in normal bike company fashion.. no reply!

so ime turning to you guys and girls for a couple of questions:

1. seatpost size?
2. bb length (ime using 3pc on-ones(small brit company) so am unsure if axle will be long enough for the cranks to clear the frame)
3. max tyre?
4. What shall i look out for (i.e cracks in certain places....etc)

and 1 last very important one

5. i have cut my steerer damn short for my previous bike(a scott octane) so am wondering how long you super 8 users steerer tubes are??? <<<<<<<<<<this is a big problem which may force me to buy a goldtec stoke( a stem and top crown all in 1)

thanks to all the people i am hoping will help me

edd

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
have you tried calling jungle (the importers) or stif?? and if you have reetards, theres 2 different axles, a long and a short, one will do it.

Eddie_Lad

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
Manchester UK
Originally posted by alex spencer
have you tried calling jungle (the importers) or stif?? and if you have reetards, theres 2 different axles, a long and a short, one will do it.
i spoke to brant theres onyl 1 standard axle ime gonna go measure it tommorow morning

but ime told the profile mtb axle is the same spline configuration so they will fit just wondering how long they are then??

i cant really be arsed phoning stif or jungle!

K

kitchenware

Originally posted by Eddie_Lad

but no-one seems to have any technical info in my lil country so ive emailed santa cruz....but in normal bike company fashion.. no reply!

I've never waited more than 24hrs for a response from Scott, he'll get to you and help you out.

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
Originally posted by Eddie_Lad

i spoke to brant theres onyl 1 standard axle ime gonna go measure it tommorow morning

but ime told the profile mtb axle is the same spline configuration so they will fit just wondering how long they are then??

i'm pretty certain theres 2 lenghts, 4" and 5"

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Profile makes a 6 7/8" spindle and that is what my super 8 has, the bike does use quite a bit of steerer tube but it depends on how tight you can fit your triple clamps, but if you cut it short you may want to consider an on-one stem with the really low stack height.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
OH some more answers 31.6mm seatpost I think your choices are limited to Thomson and Syncros.

The frame will fit 3" tires

Examine the bracing on the swingarm. When you buy it make sure to keep the shock pivots free of slop.

Eddie_Lad

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
Manchester UK
Originally posted by alex spencer

i'm pretty certain theres 2 lenghts, 4" and 5"
theres only 1 length my man and its just over/or under 6.5"

OH some more answers 31.6mm seatpost I think your choices are limited to Thomson and Syncros.
just measured the one off my scott octane itll fit perfect

Profile makes a 6 7/8" spindle and that is what my super 8 has, the bike does use quite a bit of steerer tube but it depends on how tight you can fit your triple clamps, but if you cut it short you may want to consider an on-one stem with the really low stack height.
thats my plan if the steerer is just a little too short its much cheaper than resorting to a stoke!

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I'd actually pass on that Super 8 or at least try to get a better price...1300 for a used one is WAAAY too much I don't know how much you guys have to pay retail for those in the UK but here in the US the Super 8 wasn't that much more brand new. Hell some guys on this site are selling their Super 8's...do a search for "atom" he's an injured rider whose selling a Black Med Super 8. They're solid bikes...a lot of people bash them cuz they have a relatively high leverage ratio and that its a Single Pivot.Oh yeah and you'd probably get more information if you posted this on the Dh section...yess you 're supposed to post tech questions here but this doesn't see the amount of traffic that the DH section gets.

Eddie_Lad

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
Manchester UK
Originally posted by Dog Welder
I'd actually pass on that Super 8 or at least try to get a better price...1300 for a used one is WAAAY too much I don't know how much you guys have to pay retail for those in the UK but here in the US the Super 8 wasn't that much more brand new. Hell some guys on this site are selling their Super 8's...do a search for "atom" he's an injured rider whose selling a Black Med Super 8. They're solid bikes...a lot of people bash them cuz they have a relatively high leverage ratio and that its a Single Pivot.
it may seem alot in america but in britain ther retail for £1600 and ime getting it for £850 with the rear wheel built up!!
the bike is in perfect condition and has just had a mojo tune on the shock.

Oh yeah and you'd probably get more information if you posted this on the Dh section...yess you 're supposed to post tech questions here but this doesn't see the amount of traffic that the DH section gets.
bit of a newcomer to this forum seemed the logical place to put it anyways if you put posts in busy forums they dissapear rather quick which is not what i want

edd