Quantcast

Song of the Day (16Jul07)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Dave Douglas is a trumpet (and probably cornet) player of note, both in his solo guise, and as a key member of john zorn's Masada (the straight quartet, not one of the many permutations). very classic sound, well-recorded, and he typically fills the studio w/ sympathetic and well-trained players to complement his endeavors.

kick back on this hot, humid sunday afternoon and enjoy this one as the sun sets.

Charms of the Night Sky

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this'll be interesting, especially as i got sick of all my masada recordings and deleted them from the library... :think:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ok, my take: good recording quality, technically. F maj. constant F---C-ClowCCF--- pattern in the bass. no annoying squeaking noises from dave douglas, unlike in masada! almost sounds like he's on flugelhorn actually, or maybe it's a ribbon mike? or other postprocessing responsible for this sound.

overall, i appreciate that it's not an in-your-face frantic song, but it almost feels as if you'd need to smoke something or other before listening to it (or performing it) for the appropriate effect. i do quite like dave douglas's actual solo near the end of the track, as it actually goes somewhere and then retreats back.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, but dave douglas also gets into the act with the squealing and popping <shudders>