Quantcast

Sooo...I polished the rear end of my Sunday, but everyone was wondering...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...what it would look like if I did the ENTIRE bike.

Well, this guy in Japan had his Sunday chromed. The whole thing...

Bling:

Blang:

edit: Pretty sweet, if you ask me - Looks like he needs some help matching the rims. :)

:biggrin:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
?????

other then a short cage rear der and shorter chain. his build is awesome.
O.K. - that was an inaccurate statement. What I meant was that he went through all the trouble to chrome the frame, but didn't match tha rims. :biggrin: If you are gonna bling it out like that you may as well go all the way, you know?

You are correct - the build IS quality.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Hmm, air shock and saint cranks - wondering what kinda terrain he rides. And how much weight the chrome plating added.
It does look good though.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
unlike the Honda team, it looks like he doesn't have a guy to keep it polished after every run. . . . be a lot cooler if he did.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Add MORE weight to a heavy frame.

it's gotta be polished. chroming a bike would be... shall i say... ridiculous?

has he been riding that bike with an air shock for like 1 minute DH runs? correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the reason that air shocks haven't been fully incorporated into DH bikes is because of the intense heat that ruins the valves,etc. during a full run at speed?

godzilla

Chimp
Dec 19, 2005
OMG!!! what is hasselhoff doing to that poor dog?!?

I'm not quite sure - I googled "fat guy polishing a harley" (just cause I've never understood how a person finds the time to clean such a beast - like a polished bike) for images, and this is what popped up. Terrifying.

edit: Maybe the dog's name is Harley?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
has he been riding that bike with an air shock for like 1 minute DH runs? correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the reason that air shocks haven't been fully incorporated into DH bikes is because of the intense heat that ruins the valves,etc. during a full run at speed?
Probablly just a little Jap fella,With the low leverage ratio a Sundays probably one of the best bike to run an air shock on and get away with it. I didn't see a resi on the shock,you'd definatlly want as much oil as possible.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

Apparently I've angered the gods by suggesting that the frame was chromed... It LOOKS chromed to me, but then again I also think that Paris Hilton looks like hell, sooooo.... :biggrin:

If it is polished, the individual responsible did an amazing job because they got into all the nooks and crannies that Virgil wasn't able to reach on my bike. (you have to take a REALLY close look at the rear triangle on my bike to see it) So that's why I thought it was chromed.

Crazy? Sure. But I've seen stranger things on the internet....

Like a reclining semi-nude Hasselhoff.

... that was awful BTW.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
has he been riding that bike with an air shock for like 1 minute DH runs?
The image you posted describes your understanding of the topic pretty accurately.

ALL shocks experience high levels of heat, damping is the simple process of converting kinetic energy into heat energy. All valving is designed to work under high levels of heat without performance being affected, and shock oils have high viscosity indexes to ensure the viscosity sees minimal change over the large temperature range they see.

Compressing air in the air spring does create heat, but this wouldn't be significantly higher than the temperature of the oil in the damper anyway - which FYI is sealed away in the damping section of the shock. When air is compressed it expands, so the only negative effect you might get is the spring rate increasing slightly over a long run - but because negative pressure auto-bleeds to match positive pressure, it's not really going to be a huge deal unless you are a real heavy guy and/or hitting runs over 4-5min regularly.

Something a lot of people also don't realise is that you can tune their rate between linear and progressive pretty well by changing oil or grease volume in the main air chamber, or using larger/smaller air tubes (eg dhx air / rp3 can be mixed and matched).

As noskidmarks mentioned, the sunday's probably the best frame to run an air shock in due to it's super low leverage ratio - allowing for lower air pressures for a given rider weight. The gemini dh (~7" travel version with 3" shock) is another great option, but anything with a reasonably low ratio is a good candidate (so - not a v10). PS, noskidmarks - the shock does have a resovoir, it's just hidden behind the upright on the sundays.

So with a bit of thought into application (rider weight, leverage ratios) and tuning - air shocks in dh are a pretty realistic option, with many racers happily running them.