Quantcast

Sort of noob...looking for a new bike

Mathew

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
First off I'd like to say hi and nice to meet you all (I didn't see an intro forum). Name's Mathew, age 22, 2nd year apprentice mechanic. I live in B.C. Canada, yes home of the North Shore and Whistler :cheers:

I wouldn't say I'm a total mountain bike newb, I've been doing it semi seriously for about 3 years now.

I started 3 summers ago with a horrible Infinity hardtail that I found (yes, found), probably worth $100 from Wal-mart (and thats new, this thing was definately not). Well I spent the summer destroying it, pretty much everything is bent on it now.

2 summers ago I rode a Trek HT bike, I think a 4700 or something like that (sort of a cross country bike) that belong to my friend's Mom. Very nice bike but obviously limited riding potential.

This last summer I got somewhat serious about it and bought a Norco Chaos which was about $700 and probably Norco's most entry level FS bike. I had a lot of fun with it, and started riding more serious trails including Burnaby Mountain and a trip to Whistler. However, being a cheap bike, it has its limits, especially at Whistler, where I did NOT feel the confidence I needed on it.

So finally I want to spend about $2500 for next summer on a new bike. This is the bike I want to keep and upgrade if necessary.

So far I have looked at a Kona Stinky, and I have to say that I love it. I "test" rode it for about 15 minutes behind the store, but my only concern is that it is pretty "squishy" and might have trouble doing anything but downhill (like riding long distances and climbing). It is very solid though, and very upgradeable, and at this point I have no problem dropping the 2.5 grand on it.

However, I could really use some advice on what other bikes to look at in the same class and price range. Since I'll be buying my dream bike in the spring, I have lots of time test bikes and not just buy the first one I try (the Stinky).

So sorry about the long first post and I would really appreciate any advice. Also I'm not going to be a one poster, I intend to stay to learn more about this wonderful sport, and possibly one day give someone else advice :)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Kona Stinky's are a very nice choice for an above-entry level bike. And they're upgradeable as time (and riding skill) progresses.

As long as you've got at least 2 chainrings in the front (24-36-bash or something similar) then you're good to go with climbing....FS rigs don't climb as well as hardtails but the trip down is well worth the long haul to the top.

Another option (if they're around) is Iron Horse. They make some FS rigs up to Whistler's task for around your pricepoint.

Yet another company to look into is Giant. They've got some good stuff out there.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
You might want to look into the Iron Horse 7point series. They are great bikes, and the rear suspension design (DW Link) helps out with the climbing making it pretty darn efficient for a bike with 7 inches of rear suspension. From what I've heard it also descends amazingly.