Quantcast

speaking of paying your taxes...

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
...get this.
a friend of mine has to pay $400 in taxes this year!
The story: She is only 21 and is a college student at WWU, she gets NO help from any parent figure at all and lives off of hard work and determination. School is paid for mostly by scolorships that she applies for (she is the toughest cry-baby i know :p )
The catch: what little school is not paid for by the scolorships she has earned is paid by government aid.
SO: she did her taxes and ows $400 and a week later gets a check from the government for around the same amount for this quarter in school :confused:
did the government just pay her taxes for her? :think:

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
I doubt it, probably a refund of the aid exceeding charges to her account. I just got around $300 back from my loan as well. To bad it all went towards buying books :(

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Bullitrider said:
Guess that means she gets Pell Grants instead of loans. Cry me a f'n river.

oh there are no tears here...just thought it was kinda strange, you think the ever powerfull IRS would see something like that and realize how dumb it is to ask for there own money back

here you go...no wait give it back.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
C'mon now. You should know by now that one arm of the guv'mnt doesn't know what the other is doing. :nopity:
Just gotta play the game even if it means an extra trip to the bank.
I feel for your friend. I was at WWU paying for everything on my own .....oh my gosh....15 years ago.. :eek:
and we were all riding full rigid mtbs except for the rich kid that scored a Control Tech fork or the guys with the 'suspension' seat posts.
That is not an easy town to buckle down and study in with sailing, skiing, and mtbing to do instead of homework.
One thing I wish I did was take a year off in the middle to travel. You can defer your loans in the middle but not at the end unless you join the Peace Corps.