Quantcast

Specialized Armadillo : good tire?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
whatcha think?

I've been commuting to work and got a flat. The tire's a little damaged, I could duct tape it and get home. I forgot to bring a spare to work, so I thought I'd see what the LBS has.

They claim to have two commuter tires in stock the Armadillo and some Bontrager thing.

So, do I buy one of them or limp home and get something like the Continental Ultra Gator ro Schwalbe Marathon?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Specialized had a booth at Sea Otter YEARS ago and I won a free armadillo tire. Since then, I've been riding them for years as my main tire. Basically, they're a heavier tire that's meant to be used a mileage and training tire. These tires have NOT flatted on me. Granted I don't ride through shards of glass and other Xtreme materials, but any tire that lasts and doesn't flat during the course of normal riding is okay by me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Cool.

I just got a pair of 28c Armadillos. They feel really solid. Since I only have 19-25c tubes, I bought a couple of bigger tubes. Unfortunately, I forgot that this wheelset is that retarded kind with a deep dish and the stems barely get out enough to inflate. Arg.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
this wheelset is that retarded kind with a deep dish
What's the advantage to that? My wheelset is that way too. I know the full disk wheels (or whatever they are called) are supposed to be more aerodynamic, but can it really make that much different with a "little dish" like ours?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
for my wheels, I'm going to guess it was just marketing cuz I'm riding my original road bike for commuting. Some crappy Alexrims.

My regular wheels are Mavic Open Pros.

I suppose there might be an aerodynamic effect, but don't know.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Get the armadillo elites. much lighter with a kevlar bead. i only got 1 flat 12 months later.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks, but already got the standard Armadillos, so we'll see how that goes.

I don't care about weight on my commuter roadie, so...

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
When I was working at a shop in ND, a guy riding cross country happened to hit some glass 30 miles outside of town. By the time he made it to the shop, the tread had almost completely shredded off the armadillo casing, but they were still holding air. They definitely kept him from having to hike. And he got his tires warrantied too.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So are y'all saying that I should consider Armadillos on my roadie too?

I often find myself miles and miles from anywhere in the mountains, so...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Do you use them on your road bike, commuter or both?
I only have the crossbike which usually has some type of crosstire on it -- 35c at the moment. I only put the Armidillos on if I'm riding with some roadies.

Why do you wish you got the 28 instead?
I like to ride some dirt roads and might leave them on more if they were a little wider. I'm thinking about picking up some ruffy-tuffys or roll-polys(?) btw-I'm around 215lbs.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wumpus, I keep forgetting... you don't have a road bike? I assume you have at least two sets of wheels, yeah? Seems frustrating to swap tires

well, I just bought another set of Vredstein Fortezza SEs for my roadie cuz I couldn't make up my mind.

I like my SEs a lot, but they don't seem to rack up the miles before wearing out.

But I did put the Armadillos on my commuter, so I'll see how that goes.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Your armadillos work well, specially for the cost. they roll well, and hold up to flats. on teh down side, they are a little heavy. Currently my favorites for longevity, weight, and lifespan goes to Vittoria diamonte's. Very supple, hi thread count"220". lightweight, bout 200 grams. very low rolling resistance. Downside, twice the cost. 45 dollars for the diamonte, bout 19.95 for the standard Armadillo. Both are really good tires though