Quantcast

Specialized P.24

Gibby403

Chimp
Aug 27, 2011
Just purchased a Spec. P.24 it has a BMX front load neck but what kind of neck do I purchase to thread the front brake cable down through the neck? What to eventually upgrade and put Sunday Forks with the 990 mounts and Proper front brakes on the bike.

Just been doing basic aerials and carve moves at the local municipal half~pipe and loving it.

Gibby403

Chimp
Aug 27, 2011
thank you for the reply will the hollow stem bolt retrofit perfectly,
with the stock front load neck that came with the bike?

attached is a pic of the bike

Attachments

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Take the top cap off of the stem. You don't need to change the stem ("neck"). If the fork has a welded-in nut for the top cap it may be tricky, but you should just be able to hammer out the existing star fangled nut and install a hollow one.

standard SFN:

Hollow SFN:

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
there's a good chance though that since the P-24 is pretty much a Sunday knock off that the fork would have a threaded steerer tube.

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
there's a good chance though that since the P-24 is pretty much a Sunday knock off that the fork would have a threaded steerer tube.
According to the Specialized website, the P.24 comes with a threadless steerer

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52714&scid=1004&scname=Dirt%2FPark%2FStreet

With my Specialized P.2 (2005 mind you), the star fangled nut was not welded. You just need to buy the part w00dy has listed (you can get them for like $13) and run your brake cable through it. It's actually really simple.

If you decide to switch to a fork with a threaded steerer tube, then you can just get a fork bolt which allows you to pass the brake cable through like this:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have that P-24....

Buy the Sunday fork first and get the threaded cap with a hole in it for the cable. You can't run front brakes on the Specialized so there's no need for the star nut with a whole in the cap. The cap that If You Build It posted is what you want.

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
I have that P-24....

Buy the Sunday fork first and get the threaded cap with a hole in it for the cable. You can't run front brakes on the Specialized so there's no need for the star nut with a whole in the cap. The cap that If You Build It posted is what you want.
Yeah, this pretty much sums it up. Good work, team.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I have that P-24....

yep.

you can even just run it with no cap at all. the compression bolt/cap just squeezes your stem down long enough so you can tighten it in place. after that it's unnecessary. just looks clean.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yep.

you can even just run it with no cap at all. the compression bolt/cap just squeezes your stem down long enough so you can tighten it in place. after that it's unnecessary. just looks clean.
Wide misconception. Your headset will come loose as you ride. The only way to run without a top cap is by heavily over-tightening the stem, which can lead to the steerer being crushed or the stem breaking/stripping.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
I have that P-24....

If you buy the Sunday forks they come supped with the Sunday top cap which has the holes already in it.

Gibby403

Chimp
Aug 27, 2011
What I'm reading, is that I should get the Sunday fork with the 990 mounts,
ant the fork plug that comes with the fork. Also get the Hollow stem bolt aftermarket part, bang out the old new fangled star nut. As far as the brakes I planed on swapping the backs brakes and moving them up front. Then installing "Proper Brakes" in the rear of the bike. Although how hard is it to Hunt down a place that sells "Proper Brakes? Mostly places in the UK I found sells them. Not to many places in the US. Thanks again everyone

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
. Also get the Hollow stem bolt aftermarket part, bang out the old new fangled star nut.
You don't need that piece. You can't run front brakes on your current fork and that part only fits the fork you have now... Just buy the Sunday fork and you're good.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Then installing "Proper Brakes" in the rear of the bike. Although how hard is it to Hunt down a place that sells "Proper Brakes? Mostly places in the UK I found sells them. Not to many places in the US. Thanks again everyone
You don't need "Proper" brand brakes. check out albes.com or empirebmx.com Dia-Tech brakes will work on front or rear with the Fiesta upgrade. Even a plain old 990 will work on the front--it just doesn't have a barrel adjuster.

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6118

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
What about stainless steel brake housings I think that look cool. Kind of like a race car.
I just did a barspin setup on my Specialized P.2, and I used the Jagwire Ripcord brake cable kit. You can run them in pretty tight radius bends and they still work really smooth. This is important for running your front brake through your steerer tube on a 20" bike, because you have to make a 180 degree bend at the bottom. With this type of housing, you wouldn't need to use a gyro for the rear, just run your rear brake cable long. On my setup, from "lock to lock," I can spin the bars 4 times. They come in a lot of different colors, but I got the "sterling silver," which is what it sounds like you would want.

They work awesome and are really worth the extra cost over a generic cable housing. Here's a link to their site:

Jagwire Ripcord Brake Kits