Quantcast

specialized p1 - dirt

GeminiboyPT

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
hi people
i need know the that think about specialized p1
i go buy, but...
Is good bike for dirt, is light, the bicycle is small, for good damping?

help me guys xD

thanks

MTBKR415

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
right behind you...
what year are you looking at? i have a 2007, its not small, just a different shape, so it may seem small. but it is sturdy, click on my name, and go to my profile...

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz

I have a 2008 P1. Its small for me, but then again I am like 6'4. Stock, its not light. Geo is alright at best but works. BB height is ridiculous low. As for your 'damping' question, I am guessing you are talking about the fork? DJ3s are heavy, horrible, basically have no way to tune them. The DJ3 is a SR Suntour fork. Its pretty terrible. Stock for 2008, the wheels were ****. Completely soft and bendy. I am not sure if they fixed that for 2009.
I like the bike as mine is now way more then how it was before. Stock the bike isn't light, the fork is ****, the wheels are terrible. Having had to change the majority of the parts out just to get it running decent wasn't worth it. Cranks fell off multiple times, both of my wheels came out of true within a month of riding, the fork felt like **** and all of it was unnecessarily heavy. Having spent who knows what changing those parts out over time and having ridden the bike for almost 1 year. I don't really think it was a good buy. Sure I got a discount on it through my LBS, but it was basically an impulse buy when I could have spent a little more and gotten something used that was better.
Currently the only stock parts on it are the bars and stem, which I am going running because I am going to buy a new stem and don't want to run the stock stem with a shim so I can run my Nemesis Project bars, the seat because it works and the frame. If I had the money, I would get a new frame with better Geo and lighter.
Given my experience with the bike stock, it worked for what it was but it didn't last. Wheels came out of true within 1 month, cranks wouldn't stay on after 6 months, fork constantly bottomed off of everything. My bike didn't stay stock for much time. Within a month I was changing things out due to their obscene weight or the parts failing.
Soo.. do I recommend it? Not really. I mean it works but the parts won't last. I paid 800 for it and I got most of my upgraded parts for cheap through hook ups here and there. I have probably put more money into the bike to get it running the way it is now then what I got it for stock. And as soon as I get the money, I will be switching out the frame.
Save your money and get something else. Knowing what I know now, it was not worth any of my money or my time.

Any other questions?

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
The spec on the P bikes has actually gotten worse with time. as Windowlicker mentioned, the stock stuff is ****. My friend got one this season...it's his first season really riding, so you'd think he wouldn't break much, since he doesn't really know how to ride hard. WRONG.

so far (keep in mind he's had the bike since March)...
-cranks have a chronic falling off problem
-BB broke (somehow....)
-wheels...well...the rear pringled, the front did too, to a lesser degree, and the hub seemed to eat axles and bearings.
-fork feels like utter ****
-stock brake cable blows.
-bashguard cracked almost instantly.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Fork and rims suck and it's not super light out of the box. $800 you can't expect too much. Never had issues with things breaking or falling off. No issues with the low bottom bracket either. Can't really see any reason why everyone hates on the P bikes so much because of it.....It is being replaced as my street/jump bike by a 20" next week. The P1 gets more use by my lady friend when we go ride xc trails.

Last edited:

mr.c

Chimp
Jul 16, 2008
el doraod hills, ca
i actually went to look at the 09 model of the p1 at my lbs because i was thinking about getting it, but like windowlicker stated(hahah best name ever), the dj3 sucks hairy stuff, and the stock rims are shiat. otherwise the bike is legit. it is the same as the p2 cromo just single speed, if you like the single speed the 09 p3 is single speed and pretty shweet. if your just starting and dont know how to spell , then im sure it will work for you. im guessing your foriegn? anyways i ended up buying the mechanics 06 p3 with a 08 dj2 for 700 instead of the p1 which is 800. your better off getting a used bike in the classifieds and still having money to change a few things to your liking, just make sure you check the bike out first. goodluck

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i've got an '07 P cromo and love it. the p-series bikes are the only hardtails that i can jump on with no weird transition period after a few days of riding my DH rig. i just dig the geo for my style of riding, more bmx-ish geo's feel too small and put me over the front wheel too much. try to find a frame-only deal and build it up with better parts. the stock parts do blow monkey balls as previously mentioned.