Quantcast

Spoted! NEW 2011 demo 8 in Portugal

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
BS. The geometry of a 225 is as good as it gets. I'd take one over a Glory anyday.
not to mention the basic fact that if a manufacturer is going to make ME a bike and I am the feedback for that bike and that bike is tailored to exactly the way I want it (Transcends case, not mine), then the Orange is a much much better option than the glory.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
not to mention the basic fact that if a manufacturer is going to make ME a bike and I am the feedback for that bike and that bike is tailored to exactly the way I want it (Transcends case, not mine), then the Orange is a much much better option than the glory.
A custom bike is a totally different.story. I still would not take.a stock Orange over a Glory or.a Demo. I just do not like single pivots for DH.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Maybe the geo is nice but the suspension design blows chunks. Plus they are noisy
What about the 225 suspension design blows chunks? compared to say a TR450 or a Comencial??
I do agree the old Oranges do sound like a toolbox being thrown down a flight of stairs though:D I've never seen or heard a 225 in person to comment.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Maybe the geo is nice but the suspension design blows chunks. Plus they are noisy
What the hell are you on about ? I doubt any other DH frame has won as many races. I look forward to hearing your in-depth analysis of the rate and squat curves...

ollyforster

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
I'm I the only one who just wants to know if this thing will come in another color, especially in a frame only option? The evo bikes look amazing! Please offer this frame with some choices, anything other than white and red! I'm not too bothered about the specs, its a Specialized and they usually get that stuff spot on and if its just a polished version of the 2010 it will be amazing! Come on guys, a color scheme to match the highlighter pen Evils and the TR450's!!!

Bighitz

Chimp
Mar 18, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I spotted one in a lift line at Northstar this Saturday, same 2011 frame, but with yellow and black paint. I didn't get a pic but it was mostly bright yellow with black accents, sort of like a TR450. I think it looked a bit better than the red/white scheme.

brian field

Monkey
Feb 5, 2007
I'm I the only one who just wants to know if this thing will come in another color, especially in a frame only option? The evo bikes look amazing! Please offer this frame with some choices, anything other than white and red! I'm not too bothered about the specs, its a Specialized and they usually get that stuff spot on and if its just a polished version of the 2010 it will be amazing! Come on guys, a color scheme to match the highlighter pen Evils and the TR450's!!!
Same here! DO something about that color.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
What the hell are you on about ? I doubt any other DH frame has won as many races. I look forward to hearing your in-depth analysis of the rate and squat curves...
Like I said before I do not like single pivots for DH. As for winning races where do you get this? Here on the East Coast I don't see any Oranges. Also what WC pros are running Oranges or a true single pivot? Only ones I see around are Morewoods.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Like I said before I do not like single pivots for DH. As for winning races where do you get this? Here on the East Coast I don't see any Oranges. Also what WC pros are running Oranges or a true single pivot? Only ones I see around are Morewoods.
Ummmm heres a quick list of WC pros that are on single pivots.
The Athertons, Cam Cole, Sabrina, Pascal, The Evil team, The Trek team, the GT team, Blinky, the Xprezzo guys(red dog) etc etc...... All of the bikes these people/teams ride are single pivots, most like the Orange 225 do however have a linkage activated Shock.

Sorry for the thread derailment...just wondering if quickneonrt actually knows the difference between a 224 an a 225 which is what Transcend originally mentioned???

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Ummmm heres a quick list of WC pros that are on single pivots.
The Athertons, Cam Cole, Sabrina, Pascal, The Evil team, The Trek team, the GT team, Blinky, the Xprezzo guys(red dog) etc etc...... All of the bikes these people/teams ride are single pivots, most like the Orange 225 do however have a linkage activated Shock.
Well I was talking True single pivot like a Morewood or a 224. I dont look at a Session, Revolt Commencal, Transition or a GT as a true single pivot.
I have never seen or ridden a 225 but I have ridden a 222, 223, Morewood and hated them.

Last edited:

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Well I was talking True single pivot like a Morewood or a 224. I dont look at a Session, Revolt Commencal, Transition or a GT as a true single pivot.
I have never seen or ridden a 225 but I have ridden a 222, 223, Morewood and hated them.
That's all good but why comment on the 225 like was originally mentioned in post 77 an 80 in this thread? You do realise its a single pivot with a linkage driven shock just like the bikes above?

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
I'm sure you have...;)

Quick question. Are you supplying the complete bikes with your own chainset or are manufacturers going to offer 165mm/86mm BB30 options ?
Eventually manufacturers will offer a 165/83 BB30. Frames will come with threaded adapters in the mean time, so they will work with virtually anything.

Jason C

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Guys this is a Demo thread. Not Giant, not single pivot, not penis size.

So, why the switch to 83/150mm? I thought tests confirmed it wasn't necessary?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
A single pivot is a single pivot. There is no such thing as a "true" single pivot. Please stop talking.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
A single pivot is a single pivot. There is no such thing as a "true" single pivot. Please stop talking.
he was trying to compare a single pivot to a single pivot w/ linkage activated shock.....which....both...are....single....pivots.......:rolleyes:

Fraser, how's that new Orange non-true single pivot working out for ya? :D

disclaimer:
all in good fun

ollyforster

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Here's my 2 cents as you say in the states. I worked in a concept store in the UK and it was obvious to me that Specialized really wanted to see a massive return on the tooling they had invested in to produce the Demo frames in Taiwan. I'm pretty sure they had a massive stock pile of BB cups, swingarms, this, that and everything else to produce the 2010 frame. The adjustments to the geo and the headtube wouldn't be a massive task, just adjust the frame jigs. Anyway, my observations have always been that they are out to make ace bikes but also make ace money! The 150/ 83 discussion has been bashed about on all the forums, the pro's got theres but we didn't purely because of economics and Specialized are clever buggers! In my opinion, you should listen to your customers, regardless of what a computer stress analysis gizmo says, people want a 150/ 83 set up because its a DH bike and thats how they are! Its all marketing!

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca

Here is the bike from Northstar.

This bike had a vivid rear shock, sram build but a bit toned down from the Sworks version (red/white) bike. It also has an adaptor to accomodate standard BB's for now, until they release their own crankset.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Or because they already have 83mm cranks and 150mm wheels and want to be able to use them on their new bike.
QFT. This has kept me away from the demo for the past few years. I buy frames and build up my bike the way I want it using the good parts from my old bike.

73mm x 135mm not happening for me anytime soon.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
My 150mm Hope to 823 rear wheel and 83mm Saints aren't going anywhere soon so moving to a 150 rear axle was a good move on their end.

Last edited:

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
So, why the switch to 83/150mm? I thought tests confirmed it wasn't necessary?[/QUOTE]

83/150 is the DH standard, and customers have been screaming for it. Wider compatibility is the main driver.

A 150 rear end on the frame is not significantly stiffer, lighter or heavier.

However, a 150 wheel with wide flanges can be stiffer and stronger if the hubmaker takes advantage of the additional real estate.

Jason C

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I like my 2010 demo but the 2011 looks like a grand slam home run. Hope the price is right.
Now I need to sell mine in time to get this one.