Quantcast

Squeaky Hope Minis

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
ok, its pretty much par for the course with minis, but there are a few things that canbe done to help.

get the mounts faced by a shop,
file a radius onto the front and rear of the friction material on the pads,
clean the pads and rotor well (cue mentions of fire and isopropyl achohol)
change the pads for ebc or something else,
check the pads arn't glazed.

if none of them work theres one last trick which will almost certainly silence them, but it is a tad pricey if you manage to go wrong.

what you'll need is a roll of exaust pipe repair tape for cars and some copper grease.

what you need to do is cut a section of the repair tape to fit on the pad backing and cover the holes where the friction material shows thru, and stick them down (this stops the pads getting contaminated) once you've done that, carefully put a thin smear of copper grease onto the prepared pads, fit them, and go for a (hopefully) silent ride, you might have to reapply the copper grease after a few hours riding (when it start squealing again) but the repar tape will last for ages.

R

RideMonkey

Thanks Alex.

How do I clean the pads? Just pour some alcohol on the brake or take the bads out and scrub them somehow?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Hey RM , the best thig to do is replace the pads with some EBC's. That should cure the problem. If you want to try cleaning them, remove the pads use a propane or mapp gas tourch(I prefer mapp) heat the pads to remove any oils, grease etc. Then when they cool lay out a strip of emery cloth and run the pads back and forth about 5-6 times, this will remove the excess resido that the flame created. Make sure this is done on a flat surface. Clean the rotor with alcohol and reinstall pads. You then should be good to go. If they still squeek go back to the first sugestion.

Z

Zonic Man

They will squeak unless you get some EBCs and face the mounting surfaces of your bike.

I, among many, have tried nearly everything to get rid of the squealing to no avail other than the above two tricks.

I'd get a pack of red pads and a pack of green pads from EBC. Then use one green and one red in the actual brake itself. Improves braking, and reduces noise.

The pads are available for about 15 bucks if your LBS orders them, if you don't want to deal with the hook up.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Zonic Man
They will squeak unless you get some EBCs and face the mounting surfaces of your bike.

I, among many, have tried nearly everything to get rid of the squealing to no avail other than the above two tricks.

I'd get a pack of red pads and a pack of green pads from EBC. Then use one green and one red in the actual brake itself. Improves braking, and reduces noise.

The pads are available for about 15 bucks if your LBS orders them, if you don't want to deal with the hook up.
Or just get some EBC green pads and clean the rotor install & enjoy. For RM's type of riding reds would be over kill + they wear like super fast.

Z

Zonic Man

Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Or just get some EBC green pads and clean the rotor install & enjoy. For RM's type of riding reds would be over kill + they wear like super fast.
Nope, go one green and one red.

Best of both worlds.

Try it, you'll like it.

I've ridden golds too...good brake pads but they squeal too.

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
the problem with the golds is they get too hot too fast, i had my 205mm e4 pumping out using them :eek:

go for greens, only use reds if you wanna stop fast, and buy pads once a month

R

RideMonkey

Went to the Hope tent in Durango.

The guy suggested facing the tabs and he had the tool to do it so we gave it a shot. Didnt work. So he sold me some EBC greens and that did the trick!

Attachments

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
Originally posted by RideMonkey

The guy suggested facing the tabs and he had the tool to do it so we gave it a shot. Didnt work. So he sold me some EBC greens and that did the trick!
Dangit, I want one of those tools!! I just don't know where to get it.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by RideMonkey

Told yah the EBC's would work.