Quantcast

Squealing rim brake noises

Ichiro

Chimp
Jul 13, 2002
Portland, Oregon
I got a Trek 4900 a few weeks ago and today the rear rim brakes started to squeal & squeek pretty much whenever I slowed down. The fronts are quiet.

The rim itself looks clean. Do I need to take off the pads & clean them up a little? Maybe roughen them up with sandpaper?
Or will the noise just go away?

Thanks for any tips

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Try this, Loosen the pad bolt a bit, put a credit card between the rear of the pad and the rim. pull the lever in, line the pad up on the rim with the card under the rear of the rim and then tighten the bolt back down. Do this to the opposite side. That should work.
Also did you get and lube on the rim? You will not see it but it will make your brakes scream like a panther.

:)

Ichiro

Chimp
Jul 13, 2002
Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the tips...

The pads appear to be hitting the rim at a slight angle, one side at least. I'm going to try your suggestion and hopefully I'll get it fixed before this weekend!

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
Sandpaper on the pads, Windex on the rims. Clean thoroughly with clean rag...

Adjust pads how you like. Personally, I clamp the lever down pretty hard, loosen the pads one side at a time, get it so the pads are hitting the rim flat on, and crank em down. I've worked on a ton of vees, and this has always done the trick.

Ichiro

Chimp
Jul 13, 2002
Portland, Oregon
Finally fixed it today... thankfully before I went for a nice ride in Portland's Forest Park (such a great place to ride & hike just 10 minutes from downtown PDX). Turns out the pads were set too low and starting to rub against the lower edge of the rim.