Quantcast

sram quick links...

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
SUCK! i got a brand new 991 chain and i put it on the next day the link broke... twisted the chain all up... got a new chain the next day... link snaps.. today i put a link on and you guessed it. snap!!!! ugh i have never had a problem with these things! it pisses me off! anyone else have this problem>

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I stopped buying sedis chains a few years after SRAM bought them...to many painful crashes from broken chains.

Get a wipperman quick link (put it on any chain you like), they are pretty bomb proof.

I should add, everyone seems to have a chain that they have broken one too many times and sworn off, while the majority have success with the same brands.....I just have never seen a link plate torn in half...and that is what I did to my last sram. In general, the 'joining' is going to be the weak link.

I have generally heard good things about the new shimano xtr/durace level chain...but they have no quick link (but are cheap). I have been on wippermans for the last 5 years or so and have been VERY impressed with durability (wear and 'stretching') and have yet to have a single issue (they come with a quick link but are usually a bit more $$). Have started to hear good things about KMC as well (Z9000 IIRC)...

Last edited:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Been using Sram power links for almost 5 years now, never had an issue. Worked at a shop for four years that sold primarily Sram chains, never had a customer break one either.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have broke chains before, never have I broken a powerlink, EVER, in fact the one I have now has been of at least half a dozen chains.....I swap chains alot.....

Its weird your having issues with the quick link, are you using a tool of somekind to install it? I just cant imagine breaking three in a row, ar eyou sure your chain is long enough for your ride? Maybe your a link too short, and your slamming teh chain just a bit as you go through your travel. My brother was doing that on his Faith for awhile.

On a side note, the Sram powerlinks will work for any 9/8 speed chain, given you get a nine for a nie, eight for an eight....But ten speed will not work with other chains for that one you need a wipperman. Like DaveP said though, if your not liking teh sram version, get the wipperman, there about ten bucks, and never have I broken one of those either, nor ever seen one broken

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I had the same Powerlink/Dura-ace chain combo on 5+ bikes for over 2 years. Still going on my friend's bike. I'm surprised you had problems with it.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I like the powerlink design, and haven't had any trouble with Sram chains. That said I haven't had any trouble with any brand of chain, but more by joining multiple sections of chain as a quick fix and then just not bothering to buy a new chain until something crappy happens.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Never had a problem with quick links. Being a PT shop employee, the only problems I have seen with quick links have involved improper installation. Have a pro XC friend who lost her chain in a recent race due to this.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
well i know i put it on right and i know that my chain is long enough, the second time that the link snapped both of the "prongs" were in one link... i still swear by sram, i also like the design! just i don't feel to safe about it any more....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
but more by joining multiple sections of chain as a quick fix and then just not bothering to buy a new chain .
I usually retire the chain after 4 quick links, but that's just me. :)

In four years of using them, I've only had one pop on me.

To the OP, my guess is you are doing something wrong.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
3 chains in such a short time period... Sorry man, sounds like user error.

I don't know many people that break chains, however I personally do occasionally break them. And its NEVER because the power link itself physically broke. Usually its because a pin popped out somewhere else and just let go on a high-torgue section. I think I may have had a quick link come apart once (because I put it on wrong in a hurry) but never break.

Do you by chance wash your chain in a concentrated bath of white fuming nitric acid? That'll do 'er.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Never really had problems with the SRAM chains. We started supplying them as had endless problems with other brands. A common problem with the SRAM chains is often people try and use chain barkers to join the chain when really you cant. You must only use the power link.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
well i know i put it on right and i know that my chain is long enough, the second time that the link snapped both of the "prongs" were in one link... i still swear by sram, i also like the design! just i don't feel to safe about it any more....
Humor me for a sec if you would, Pull your shock off, put your chain in your granny gear, and cycle the suspension..... Lets just call it Due dilegence<sp>

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i already know that the chain is long enough. because the first chain i has was 2 links 2 short now like leave it a couple links longer

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Shouldnt be breaking chains at all unless they are super worn or someone rejoined with a pin.

A bad chain shifts poorly, a chain that breaks is another level of crap.

Im gonna 'me too' the chain's too short idea.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If your chain isnt too short, your installing them correctly, then there is only one other thing I can think of that could do this...... You need to do a very close inspection of your drivetrain, see if you have a bent toth on either the cassette or chainwheel. I mean seriously, three chains in a row, either installation error, operator error, too short, or damaged drivetrain components

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
oh and i forgot to mention, i rode my friends bike for a run after my chain snapped cause i wanted to try clip less and i snapped his chain lol, and that was a Sunday....

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Since we've eliminated the usual suspects, could you post a picture of your legs? And have you ever competed in the 'Worlds Strongest Man' competition?

FWIW, I've had one quick link snap in half, but it had been on there forever...Otherwise, no problems.

unixd0rk

Chimp
Dec 5, 2012
i have broken no more than 10 of these. once, i broke both plates in half. i do street and observed trials on a bike with a 9 speed cassette. thankfully none of those have snapped on big moves. the sram 991 chain is really good and lasts long but the stupid quicklinks are horrible. i don't know how they could be "improperly" installed, you just use your hands. if you are doing pedal kicks, dropping to rear, and lots of power moves i suggest finding a different quick link that works. i just took the one poster's advice and bought a couple 9 speed wipperman/connex quicklinks.

SUCK! i got a brand new 991 chain and i put it on the next day the link broke... twisted the chain all up... got a new chain the next day... link snaps.. today i put a link on and you guessed it. snap!!!! ugh i have never had a problem with these things! it pisses me off! anyone else have this problem>

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It is a good dig and yes the Wipperman links are much better than the Sram ones, easier to fit and easier to remove.

I snapped a Sram one a few weeks back but that may have been user error, I had the chain off for cleaning then a couple of rides later the link went boom.