Quantcast

SRAM work with Shimano cassette?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yes, but it would be like putting 22 spinner wheels on a Civic. Skip the X0, get the X7 or X9, and with the money you save get a better cassette, XT's work great. Unless you were just referring to Deore as some shimano cassette.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The only issue with SRAM/Shimano compatibility is mixing shifters and derailleurs. SRAM makes shifters that work with SRAM derailleurs (denoted by numbers or X-#) and with shimano derailleurs (denoted by names like Rocket, Attack, etc.) You have to use the proper shifter for your brand of derailleur and vice versa.

Shimano shifters only work with shimano derailleurs. The difference lies in the amount of cable that the shifter moves in order to shift a single gear.

Otherwise, all brands' 9spd stuff is compatible, same with 8spd. And 9sp rear derailleurs can be used with either 9 or 8spd setups.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yes... SRAM will work with a Shimano cassette. I also recommend bumping up to an XT cassette if possible. I'm running an X0 der and XT cassette with a SRAM chain - no problems.

And yes, an 8speed der will work on a 9speed setup. To my knowledge, ders aren't really designed for 8speed versus 9speed. The shifters dictate how far the der moves, so as long as you've got a cassette, chain, and shifters that match (i.e. all 8speed or all 9speed) you should be fine. BTW... I assume you're talking about a long cage der... not a short/mid cage design?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Totally interchangable regardless of cage length. Cage length is only pertinent to the size differential between your various chainring/cog combinations, not the total number of speeds...and 9 and 8 spd arrangements have the same potential max. cog sizes (34t max for both of them). The difference is in an extra intermediate gear.