Quantcast

SS Chains...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hey guys,

Do you all use a beefier chain on your SS bikes, or just a shortened, regular MTB chain? I currently have some KMC on mine and it has held up well, but Ive busted a Sram and a Shimano before hammering up a climb and crashed pretty badly, because of it.

So what is it for you? I'd like to find a sturdy chain myself, where this wouldnt be an issue. Weight isnt that big of a concern, since I dont have a der. or anything.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Sturdy is the way to go. Nothing worse then getting a mouth full of front tire when you're trying to hammer a climb!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Some people say to stick with the 9sp chains since that is where the engineering dollars are going.

Would be interested to know where the chains broke -- quick link, replacement pin, or a random link.

Track chains

Screwed half links:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Mine just broke at random links. Both were 9spd if I recall correctly. I bruised my sternum once. It sucked.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm currently running a BMX chain. No breakage problems. I don't think I would trust a normal MTB chain, even though it would probably work just fine.

My next chain will be the Shadow Conspiracy halflink chain, pure singlespeed bling right there :drool:

currently running a sram 8speed chain, i snapped a nine speed cranking up to a jump/drop once and took a faceful of dirt, it sucked. i'm going to a 3/16 KMC when i get my profile imperial chain wheel. most of my SS budies (cowman being one of them) swear by the 3/16, even if it is just for burl factor

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
PC58. Nine speed chains suck on 9 speeds, why would they be any good in an SS application?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've been using the SRAM PC-1. I used to use standard chains, but found they stretch out pretty quick on an SS. My last PC-1 lasted almost twice as long.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
this is good info as I need a new chain for my Marin - also would it be a wise thing to get a non-ramped cog for the ghettorigged Marin - especially since I've now got an 34T Spot singlespeed chainring on the front?

If so, what should I ask the LBS for? A BMX cog and a BMX chain?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Ramped cogs work, but non-ramped are a bit more forgiving if your chainline isn't perfect. Also, the SS-specific cogs are a bit beefier. You can get a BMX cog for ~$4, or spend more on "gourmet" brand like King or Spot. A standard chain (1/2"x3/32") will work with either cog, but a BMX chain (1/2"x1/8") may last longer.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
MMcG said:
will a BMX chain rub on a bashguard?
mine did, so I added som washers, then it didn't... but I quit running a bashgard so I don't have to worry about it anymore

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
The pc-7x has lasted the longest for me - about a year with no problems. That chain is on my urban bike. For xc s/s, I always use a sram pc48/58 - never broken one and they are fairly light. That SC half-link chain looks cool too but I'm going to keep it simple and stick with sram...

paulbug

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
California
yeah, sram 7x for me too...workin very well. Non-ramped chainring and cog (you can get em cheap) and no bashguard.
keep it simple

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
KMC

First night out I had a PC 58 on it and after about 15 minutes into the ride I thought I broke my crotch bone when my chain gave way.

J

JRB

BikeGeek said:
I've been using the SRAM PC-1. I used to use standard chains, but found they stretch out pretty quick on an SS. My last PC-1 lasted almost twice as long.
:stupid:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Another vote for KMC. The 410 model runs under $10 and they are as strong as any other chain I've run. Plus they make a cool RustBuster model too.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I run a big ol' Chrome KMC chain, no breakage here baby!it will take all the stompin' an' mashin' you can through at it! :drool:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Echo said:
I'm currently running a BMX chain. No breakage problems. I don't think I would trust a normal MTB chain, even though it would probably work just fine.

My next chain will be the Shadow Conspiracy halflink chain, pure singlespeed bling right there :drool:
When I go SS my chain as well will be the Shadow Conspiracy one... my friend has one on his BMX and it is pure beef, looks sweet too.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
a vote for the pimpin gold sram pc7x chain here. i have never been able to break one...except when i taco'ed a chainring on a damn steep climb.

edit: about time we got a SS bored!

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
NotQuiteJdm said:
Anyone know of a gold bmx chain?
Izumi track BMX chain 1/8" X 1/2" mmmmmmmm sexy and blingin' yo! :drool:
I am rocking that on my Bianchi fixed gear bike with the old Campagnolo gold BMX cranks

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I used one of the 3/32 KMC bmx chains on my old hardtail, and it never gave me any problems. I'm a bit of a hammer so the chain stretched somewhat quickly, but it's to be expected for an ss chain. I use a 3/16 on my new cruiser, and it's sweet.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
I have got to get one of those screw in half links. Shazam.

I'm not sure what the piece of crap is i'm running (i found it laying around the shop) but it stretched a lot in two extreeeeemly short rides; on the plus side: my disc doesn't rub the caliper anymore. On my last bike the cheap bmx chain i used carved a fine pattern in my bashguard and i couldn't find a fourth spacer to set off the guard and keep it from rubbing, but it's nothing to worry about. When i pick up one of those BETD 1/8 x 32 x four-bolt chainrings i'm going to get a kmc z510hx to use with it most likely, the Dropbuster, as they call it.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
PC7X Gets my vote. I sold a bmx to a kid who has been running one for nearly 2 years. He goes hard. No snappy.

I also rode one on my SS street ht. Rode it way beyond stretched and never had a problem.

It's a nice light alternative to a fatter BMX chain.