Quantcast

ss question...

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
I'm building up an older Spec. Hardrock as a SS XC/Trail bike and I'm looking for suggestions as to what gear ratio to use. I know I like 2:1 for street/park riding, but I dont know what would be good for climbing hills and whatnot.

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
A very common variation is 32:16. I'm currently in the midst of putting my SS together and it'll be at 32:17. What kind of trails will you be riding? Long steady hills? Short steep hills?

CoMo

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
SoCal
Usually the optimal gearing is around 32:16-18, all depends on riding area/terrain of course. But those seem to be for sure bets.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
What I did to find the right gearing is to ride around in different gearings to see what worked for me. I finallly settled on 32:18.

If you do that, ride the same loop in different gearings on a geared bike and just don't shift. That will give you an idea of what the gearing will be like.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I am changing over my Spec Hardrock Pro disk (commuting bike) to SS....

I have a 32f and option of 16 or 18 in the rear from the SS kit to replace the cassette. Today was my first day commuting on the bike. My commute is mostly flat and I was spinning out. If I was riding trails I would probably complain it was geared to tall....but for street with slicks I was spinning out quick.

I think I will try the 16t next.

My HardRock Pro Disc. I put my stock rims back on and new slicks, ripped all the shifting stuff off, removed the chain guide but left the bash gaurd on (mainly to keep my pants semi clean), bought some cheapo brake levers, cheapo chain tensioner, tossed the SS conversion on the rear wheel and went to work this morning.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
What I did to find the right gearing is to ride around in different gearings to see what worked for me. I finallly settled on 32:18.

If you do that, ride the same loop in different gearings on a geared bike and just don't shift. That will give you an idea of what the gearing will be like.
Excellent suggestion. I went with whatever we had lying around (it happened to be 33:17) and it's tough, but do-able.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I'm in Colorado and I suffer on the climbs. I've got a 32:18 and I'm able to sit and pedal instead of standing and grinding it out on the climbs.