Quantcast

SST Saturday @ Noon?

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
I'll be down there at noon Saturday, breaking with my tradition with earlier starts on Saturdays. Anybody else up for some riding? Weather might be nice, but the forecast if for light rain...

Tom :dancing:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
light rain = perfect for there - it's the monsoon/deluge stuff that makes it tough

Well, as I snapped the top bolt for my shock I must say "I don't know". I will be there in one form or another...perhaps to do some touch-up or continue raking the many leaves that have graced the flow-section as of late.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Did ya get a new bolt yet? It shouldn't be too expensive to upgrade to a better bolt. Head to a Tacoma Screw or somewhere like that. They'll have better hardware...

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
I cant make it on Sat. because I am finally going to Moses Lake for some MX dune riding. :D I will try to make it Sun, but that depends on how I feel(I am out of MX shape). DBR I have a Rock Shox sid air shock, it is my spare for my AC air (7.5 x 2.00 stroke). You can borrow it Sun or for as long as needed. If you need it this will give me more motivation to get up there earlier in the morning. I guess it also depends if the shock fits your bike too. :think:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I'm heading out now to seek bolts - going to local hardware store, but if they fail me, I know Tacoma Screw can help. My bro had the same bike and he was always able to get replacements there.
I appreciate the offer on the shock, Langer. Worse comes to worse, my bro does have a Cane Creek airshock that I originally had on this rig. I don't know the exact specs, but I know it's not a 'standard' size - this bike is odd that way.:mad:

*fingers crossed and off I go*

(much later)
After a close call w/ a stripped thread on my linkage plate in the 6" position (caused by bent bolt I replaced), I have a solid-ish bike once again. 5" front and rear - hell, I'm pinner...I could get away w/ 4" of travel if I had to.:blah:

Thanks again for the potential assistance, Langer!:cool:

gooch

Monkey
May 16, 2002
Outside Seattle
Can someone give me driving directions to Sea Tac?
I also need riding directions to the good stuff from the parking lot..
I think we will be checking it out Sat for the first time...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
gooch said:
Can someone give me driving directions to Sea Tac?
I also need riding directions to the good stuff from the parking lot..
I think we will be checking it out Sat for the first time...
HERE are your directions. The 'flowpark' section is basically on the far corner of the park. Look for (and follow) the 'big' bikes.

I think he's coming from outside Seattle, Tom.:eviltongu ;)

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Don't follow the path to the end. Go past the little 1/4 mile sign on your right as you head out the trail. Shortly after that you'll find a trail on the right side, leading to a clearing. Go through the clearing to a road, turn left. Continue on that road (100-150 yards), turn left, turn right at the next intersection, and head stright into the flow area. The roads are abandoned, it used to be a neighborhood. It was closed because of the runways at Seatac.

If you're at the lot by noon, look for me. I drive a white Toyota Prius and ride an orange Bullit. I'll be happy to show you the way out there.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
gooch lives in the GOOD neck of the woods:cool:
Yeah, it's a shocker that not everybody is a Seattleite - I'm still trying to absorb that fact.
What time are thinking of getting there? I may get there sooner than Tom, so either way you can get the Tour de Seatac.:)

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
bikeguy100k said:
Sweet, I'll look for you!
Whoa...is that Beeker from The Muppet Show fame in your avy?:cool:

I should already be down there by the time y'all show up...barring extra-terrestrial events and such. As is the norm, I have a few small chores to tend to down there before I can feel worthy to ride.
Going for a lil' test-ride after I post this to be sure the bike is up to Team Andy specs once again.

NWS forecast says "chance of rain"...that tends to bode well for this area. So long as you're not a bad witch you should be OK.:blah:

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Yup, I finally decided to make Beeker the avatar. The old one is Dino, my handlebar mojo for over 10 years. He resides on my Karate Monkey that I don't ride too often these days. I have a small lizard on the Bullit, but think I need to find another cool one for it. Any ideas?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
bikeguy100k said:
Yup, I finally decided to make Beeker the avatar. The old one is Dino, my handlebar mojo for over 10 years. He resides on my Karate Monkey that I don't ride too often these days. I have a small lizard on the Bullit, but think I need to find another cool one for it. Any ideas?
I'll bring something I have sitting around here for ya, Tom. It's not in tip-top shape, but I think you'll like it.
I wish had my digi so I could post a pic of it. Oh well, a little suspense never killed anybody.
:nuts:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
bikeguy100k said:
Sweet!

Hey, what do you do for a living? Anything in the web development arena?
Actually, I suck at computers in comparison to most.:o:
Right now, I'm just existing on unemployment...looking for jobs that aren't really there right now...at least the ones I want (bike-related). I think I'm going to have to 'settle' for something fairly soon that will net me more than the UI checks are.:(

Sat/AM edit - having issues w/ bike so I'm going to be running behind - if I even get out there at all today. Keep your fingers crossed.
:mumble:

Hey Andy,

Any word on the lumber allowance? I've got some pre-built stuff I'd like to bring out there if you want it. That rays mtn bike park has footage now of the area and a fun low level rollercoaster to see-saw would be a fun project I'd like to work on if "allowed".

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, that Ray's MTB park is different. I would guess that part of the country would benefit from it, but it wouldn't do well out this way. Hey, it's a step in the right direction for the global bike-park dream I have.
We're not getting any formal OK's, but I did speak w/ a person 'in the know' that says it should be fine so long as it's not skyscraper proportions. Bring it on! I'm wanting to put a roller-coaster thingy in there for sure. Not as tight/compact with the rollers and even make them slightly off-camber for the sake of it.

Today was interesting - I guess the 5pm darkness thing has made it to where everybody is there on the weekends now. Not a complaint at all, it was just a shocker to roll up to the parking lot to see it beyond capacity. Several of us wound up parking along side the road next to the golf course.
What REALLY shocked my sh*t was the fact that there were a solid 15-20 riders out there but not one single Specialized Big-Hit.
That wasn't a typo - NOT ONE.:eek:
Was there a Big-Hit convention going on somewhere???
Good times and good rips today for sure - I even managed to tree-tap off the hip on the bottom right...only cased once doing so as I failed to straighten my front wheel on one of the landings.:o:

DBR X6 RIDER said:
Hey, it's a step in the right direction for the global bike-park dream I have.
We're not getting any formal OK's, but I did speak w/ a person 'in the know' that says it should be fine so long as it's not skyscraper proportions. Bring it on!

but not one single Specialized Big-Hit.
First off, that rays mtb park is definently something Ohio could use!!! I know exactly where that's at as when I go home for christmas it will be 10 min. up the road. Believe me, that place will do well, Ohio doesn't exactly have alot of land other than the Kentucky boarder area. Those type of parks thrive very well and to be honest, it would be fun to ride, I'll let you know after christmas ;).

As far as the wood goes, consider it done! If I start hauling the stunts out, where would you like for me to stash them as I will need a couple of guys to help me once I get to SST.

Thirdly, funny you should mention Big-hits. I just did a post on MTBR about them as they seem like the type of linkage I'm looking to get. I really like that style of a bike but haven't had the chance to ride one, haven't even seen anyone with one in the area. Guess I need to come on down their and check some out. Big hit with monster T's sounds like quiet the setup for me ;)

Anyhow, when you can organize some time off, and maybe a couple of hands, we can go out to Victor and extract my stunts and transport them to SSt. They aren't much but some 6-8 ft long bridge type things but at least its a start and its free wood to use or reconstruct as you please. I've got the room for 3-4 guys in my truck, and I think we could haul most of the stuff out with one trip. So let me know.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
If it weren't for the 24" rear wheel, I think I'd be down w/ the Big-Hit myself. I'm starting to think that THIS (click me) will be my next rig. My poor X-6 is literally on its last leg componentry-wise.
I am pretty flexible, so let me know what works for you and I'll see if I can work with it as far as the wood goes.
It's just a matter of pulling up along the fences on 200th - west of the parking lot a block and then tucking them in the nearby woods until we know what we're going to do.
Thanks a ton for the hookup!:cool:

p.s. - do you know Andrew? I guess he's a builder around VF that is ALSO offering up some wood...odd coincidence, ya' think?

gooch

Monkey
May 16, 2002
Outside Seattle
Yesterday was my first trip out there. That place is a blast. All kinds of different lines to choose from. Thaks "bikeguy100k" for showing us the way.
BTW "bikeguy100k" we hit the drop on the way out. That is a sweet drop..

Fire Rider

Chimp
Sep 15, 2004
Kent "Upper E. side"
Andy I have that wheel barrow, but bike and barrow don't ride togerther very well, I'll figure somthing out. We'll see you guys in a couple hours. :sneaky:
My buddy should be out there with his Bighit with Monster today. He would probably let you ride it.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
gooch said:
Yesterday was my first trip out there. That place is a blast. All kinds of different lines to choose from. Thaks "bikeguy100k" for showing us the way.
BTW "bikeguy100k" we hit the drop on the way out. That is a sweet drop..

That's great! I did too. Just had to hit it twice before I went home...

Looks like a fun bike, what are they asking for it? I'm leaning more and more towards a Norco A-line again. I really liked my '04 but wish I would of kept it longer.

Not sure if I know an Andrew...what does he ride? He's probably offering up the same wood as there are only a couple of other builders out there and I'm the only one that hauls in truck loads of pre-built stunts. One of the major stunts I built got torn down, it was a good 20ft long and about 15 feet up. You would ride up onto it, then turn right and go for a bit and then turn left to a 15ft drop all while the hill kept dropping down. I was going to continue it around this tree and out another 25ft to drop you over a road which led up to the two 20 foot doubles I've got and then onto the teeter that someone broke. I worked probably a solid month on that trail and everything was sturdy and well built. Then these lil groms came out and rode it to death but never worked on it so everything got weaker because no one put any love into the stuff as it settled. I went out there and my big ewok cat track was ripped down so now there's wood everywhere. My other three stunts are still standing and being used so I was considering on fixing up the trail with my wood(new free standing stunts) and adding new lines with some dirt jumps up top. This section has sooo much potential its just that no one likes to pick up a shuvel and I get bored by myself after awhile which leads to burn out. Anyhow, so if SST is thriving, and it's cool to build some low level stuff, I'd like to donate all my wood and stunts I built to do whatever it is you think we can. Until about mid December, I'm free during most of the days so I'm ready to make a sick addition to SST or build the best trail there is out at Victor falls. I should come pick you up and show you what I'm talking about. I do have to get some kidney stone surgery in about two weeks so I will be down for two weeks but I'd say I have a solid three weeks to where I can put in some hard work if your down. During this rain season I get lazy and fat watching too much tv and playing video games so if I could shed some weight by building some sick lines I'm all for it.

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
ill try to be there.... its a bit difficult to do so thought cause i usually go to ride at softies and so i have my hard tail and i will want my fs for the "flowpark" as you call it... maybe ill skip softies this sat.

i ride either a green kona stuff or a red bullit

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
s dub said:
ill try to be there.... its a bit difficult to do so thought cause i usually go to ride at softies and so i have my hard tail and i will want my fs for the "flowpark" as you call it... maybe ill skip softies this sat.

i ride either a green kona stuff or a red bullit
I see peeps rockin' ht's out there all the time. Of course, things are sooooo much smoother on a Bullit. If you have skilz (which you likely have if you hit Softies) you can get away w/ the Stuff.

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
DBR X6 RIDER i know its possible on the ht but its not too much fun to do that stuff on a hardtail... like i can do all the smaller lines but its a bit too rough for a hardtail on the others.

ill bring the bullit see you there!

gooch

Monkey
May 16, 2002
Outside Seattle
bikeguy100k said:
I won't be there this saturday, 11/13. I was there last weekend. I might be heading to 38 Sunday, but if not I'll be down at SST again!
Hey Bikeguy, I was thinking of hitting SST or 38 also. Wanna hook up and ride? I'm down for either but 38 is close for me..

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
As of right now, it looks like it'll be SST on Sunday around noon. I still might be able to hit 38 in the morning, but the social planner -wife- might have some plans for me Sunday morning. I'll keep you informed. I should know by tonight. I'll start a new post if it'll be SST on Sunday.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
SuperSlow said:
Ill be there from b-ham on a beat up red yeti, and I may be sporting a mullet if i can find my clippers
Good running into you out there today...Kent?!?! If I can come away from that place remembering one new name then I'm impressed.:think:
Sucks about your buddy toasting his derailleur...smelly-stuff (mod-approved) happens.
Man, it was a crash-n-bash kind of day out there. Never seen so many wrecks in one day! At least 3 trees got taken out by riders one way or another...I gave one the hockey-style elbow check as I was wiping out.:o:
Nobody got hurt so it all worked out.
Well, off to the showers and straight to the feedbag. I'll be down there tomorrow between 9-10am until I've had enough. Look for the guy maniacally swinging a machete and that would probably be me.:D

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
I had a blast yesterday! Good to meet some people face to face (Scott). Yea my buddy is now named "the tree magnet" Its cool his bike broke, we just traded runs on mine for a while. The line all the way to the right with the drop to step down to big table is sick.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
SuperSlow said:
I had a blast yesterday! Good to meet some people face to face (Scott). Yea my buddy is now named "the tree magnet" Its cool his bike broke, we just traded runs on mine for a while. The line all the way to the right with the drop to step down to big table is sick.
Right on...the buddy-system is a good plan-B:p

That line is pretty much THE line of choice for sure. I'm still addicted to the bottom right line and need to start forcing myself at the stepdown/table a little more often - hahaha! Then again, I do alot of the stuff along the left side as well, so I guess I'm doing my part by tracking those lines.
It's all good!!:D

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
yah that left line is fun too, but i was having problems clearing the booter after the rock drop. I think that needs to be a little bigger. Other than that SST is a blast Ill spend alot of time there this winter