Quantcast

stainless or non-stick?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
what do you use? rather than buying a cookware set, which i can't afford, i tend to just buy what i need when i need it. like bike tools. i like to buy and use stainless. no real reason...i just do. i don't cook too much exciting stuff, though. what about you? do you opt for the non-stick?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Non stick is good for eggs and flaky fish. That's about it.

You don't get fond with non stick. For that, you need stainless or (even better, if the stuff you're cooking isn't acidic, plus it's WAY cheaper) cast iron.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Pedalist said:
Stainless, no aluminum, non stick and all that other stuff showed up about the time Alzheimers got so common.
I hate to tell ya this but teflon is essentially chemically inert, which is why nothing will stick to it. I doubt that anything in the telflon could possibly react at a chemical level within the body to cause alzheimers. Aluminum on the other hand may be a large factor.

I really like cooking with cast iron, once it's nice and seasoned nothing will stick, plus it seems to heat more evenly than just about anything else.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Kornphlake said:
I hate to tell ya this but teflon is essentially chemically inert, which is why nothing will stick to it. I doubt that anything in the telflon could possibly react at a chemical level within the body to cause alzheimers. Aluminum on the other hand may be a large factor.

I really like cooking with cast iron, once it's nice and seasoned nothing will stick, plus it seems to heat more evenly than just about anything else.
I agree some what...
I would never worry about Teflon, but you can end up consuming it if yu ahve a beat up old non-stick pan. In fact, when you buy birds (Parrots and stuff) they tell you not to give them food cooked in Teflon b/c it can kill them if they eat even teh smallest speck of it.

As far as Pans, I think you need one of each type (ALL with solid letal handles so you can oput them in the oven).

Non-stick is good for eggs and fish b/c they don't stick. It is also good for "low-fat" stir fries.

Stainless is good for chicken and meats b/c they brown well and add more taste (Also should know how to DeGlaze to make some GREAT sauces for your meal) Try to get a stainless steel pan that ahs an aluminum core for even heating.

ALuminum (Annodized) is great for regular stir fries b/c it gets hot FAST and cunducts so well.

Cast Iron is a good all-around choice b/c it is naturally non-stick, and it also browns. Yuo jsut have to know how to season it right, and how to take care of it.