Quantcast

Stand up for America

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Last week, the Shelby County Alabama Legislative Delegation hosted a "Stand Up for America Rally." More than 1,200 people attended including featured speakers Chief Justice Roy Moore, Adjutant General Mark Bowen and Alabama State Auditor Beth Chapman.

Attached is a copy of Mrs. Chapman's speech, which resulted in five standing ovations, tremendous applause and an encore. It's a short read and well worth it.

I hope you enjoy it as we continue to "Stand up for America!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m here tonight because men and women of the United States military have given their lives for my freedom. I am not here tonight because Sheryl Crowe, Rosie O'Donnell, Jane Fonda, Martin Sheen, the Dixie Chicks, Barbra Streisand, the Beastie Boys, George Clooney or Phil Donahue, sacrificed their lives for me.

If my memory serves me correctly, it was not movie stars or musicians, but the United States Military who fought on the shores of Iwo Jima the jungles of Vietnam , and the beaches of Normandy .

Tonight, I say we should support the President of the United States and the U.S. military and tell the liberal, tree-hugging, hippy, Birkenstock wearing, tie-dyed liberals to go make their movies and music and whine somewhere else.

After all, if they lived in Iraq , they wouldn't be allowed the freedom of speech they’re being given here today -- ironically, they would be put to death at the hands of Sadam Husssein or Osama Bin Laden.

I want to know how the very people who are against war because of the loss of life, can possibly be the same people who are for abortion?

They are the same people who are for animal rights but against the rights of the unborn.

The movie stars say they want to go to Iraq and serve as human shields for the Iraqis, I say let them buy a one-way ticket and go.

No one likes war, I hate war. But the one thing I hate more is the fact that this country has been forced into war -- innocent people have lost their lives -- and there but for the grace of God, it could have been my brother, my husband, or even worse my own son.

On December 7, 1941 , there are no records of movie stars treading the blazing waters of Pearl Harbor .

On September 11, 2001 ; there are no photos of movie stars standing as human shields against the debris and falling bodies ascending from the World Trade Center . There were only policemen and firemen -- underpaid civil servants who gave their all with nothing expected in return.

When the USS Cole was bombed, there were no movie stars guarding the ship -- where were the human shields then?

If America’s movie stars want to be human shields, let them shield the gang-ridden streets of Los Angeles, or New York City, let them shield the lives of the children of North Birmingham whose mothers lay them down to sleep on the floor each night to shelter them from stray bullets.

If they want to be human shields, I say let them shield the men and women of honesty and integrity who epitomize courage and embody the spirit of freedom by wearing the proud uniforms of the United States Military. Those are the people who have earned and deserve shielding.

Throughout the course of history, this country has remained free, not because of movie stars and liberal activists but because of brave men and women who hated war too -- but lay down their lives so that we all may live in freedom. After all -- "What greater love hath no man, that he lay down his life for his friend," but in this case a country.

We should give our military honor and acknowledgement and not let their lives be in vain. If you want to see true human shields, walk through Arlington Cemetery . There lies human shields, heroes, and the BRAVE Americans who didn’t get on television and talk about being a human shields, they were human shields.

I thank God tonight for freedom -- those who bought and paid for it with their lives in the past -- those who will protect it in the present and defend it in the future.

America has remained silent too long. God-fearing people have remained silent too long.

We must lift our voices united in a humble prayer to God for guidance and the strength and courage to sustain us throughout whatever the future may hold.

After the tragic events of Sept. 11th, my then eleven-year-old son said terrorism is a war against us and them and if you're not one of us, then you're one of them.

So in closing tonight, let us be of one accord, let us stand proud, and let us be the human shields of prayer, encouragement and support for the President, our troops and their families and our country.

May God bless America , the land of the free, the home of the brave and the greatest country on the face of this earth!

Origins: The speech quoted above, as claimed, was delivered by Beth Chapman, the Alabama State Auditor, at a "Stand Up for America Rally" hosted by the Shelby County (Alabama) Legislative Delegation. A transcript of the speech is available on her web site.

Yes, it actually happend: http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/chapman.asp

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
you couldnt sum that up in a 7 word (or less) sentence?
'cause I ain't reading that.

(did i accidently wander into the political debate forum :confused: )

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
It's not black and white.
I support the troops and pray that all of them get home safely, but I do not support W's actions.
The "love it or leave it" mentality is stale.
After all, if they lived in Iraq , they wouldn't be allowed the freedom of speech they’re being given here today -- ironically, they would be put to death at the hands of Sadam Husssein or Osama Bin Laden.
So just by the fact that they have inalienable rights, shame on them for using them?

Gotta stop now. Growing irate. :monkey:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by TN_Fred
you couldnt sum that up in a 7 word (or less) sentence?
'cause I ain't reading that.
Here, let me help..."if you're not one of us, then you're one of them". A simple minded mantra for simple minded people. And yeah, its getting stale.

Putting up my American flag tonight for our troops...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just what the world needs more of a string of simple factless emotional quotes. Whoever wrote that has a great future in politics.

After the tragic events of Sept. 11th, my then eleven-year-old son said terrorism is a war against us and them and if you're not one of us, then you're one of them.
I'm glad our president and a large portion of the population can have the same simple binary uneducated view of world politics as an 11 year old boy in Alabama.:(

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
I support the troops and hope for their quick and safe return, but I did NOT vote for GWB (nor did the majority of this nation!) and I do NOT support his foreign policy or domestic policy for that matter... I am in utter dismay of what he has done to our country... doesn't this belong in the political forum?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by DamienC
Here, let me help..."if you're not one of us, then you're one of them". A simple minded mantra for simple minded people. And yeah, its getting stale.
That is what I woulda' guessed. That is why i didnt want to put the effort into reading it. :rolleyes:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Brian HCM#1's new tagline:

Tonight, I say we should support the President of the United States and the U.S. military and tell the liberal, tree-hugging, hippy, Birkenstock wearing, tie-dyed liberals to go make their movies and music and whine somewhere else.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I read through her speech and realized that I have never seen State Auditors doing any of those things either.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I just tripped walking up the stairs at work. Luckily, nobody saw. That would have been embarrasing.
that's so wierd, I MAJORLY tripped this morning coming back from class, I dropped my stupid notebook and everything. Not so much embarassing as just a pain in the ass.

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
I tripped at work last year, grabbed for the railing, and my cell phone flung out of my pocket and down 20 ft or so to a concrete floor. I watched it helplessly through the grating of the catwalk as it burst into a million tiny bits.

That sucked AND was embarrasing. :rolleyes:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by sub6
that's so wierd, I MAJORLY tripped this morning coming back from class, I dropped my stupid notebook and everything. Not so much embarassing as just a pain in the ass.
Why is it that I laugh whenever I watch America's Funniest Home Videos? I mean, a person can fall down just so many different ways, yet I laugh every time I see another one.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Why is it that I laugh whenever I watch America's Funniest Home Videos? I mean, a person can fall down just so many different ways, yet I laugh every time I see another one.
I think it's because everyone (the fallee) reacts differently to how they attempt to (a) break their fall, (b)not fall at all, and (c)recover from it. And that makes for some funny $h!t. I laughed pretty damn hard watching Mtbkngrl fall up the stairs Saturday. Even funnier that no alcohol was involved at that point. :D

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
ya, and also it's amazing how many different animals will kick a guy in the nuts. And it's funny every time!!

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
Originally posted by Tweek
I think it's because everyone (the fallee) reacts differently to how they attempt to (a) break their fall, (b)not fall at all, and (c)recover from it. And that makes for some funny $h!t. I laughed pretty damn hard watching Mtbkngrl fall up the stairs Saturday. Even funnier that no alcohol was involved at that point. :D
I htnk it's even better when cats fall. They fall and then just pretend they meant to do it. Quite amusing. It's kinda like that "trip and then start jogging to cover it up" thing people do. :D

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by kafin8ed
I am in utter dismay of what he has done to our country...
You act like he has single handedly messed everything up in this country.....It's not just him....it's all of the past administrations that have led up to this.

No I didn't vote for GWB.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by sub6
ya, and also it's amazing how many different animals will kick a guy in the nuts. And it's funny every time!!
LOL!

Either that, or a young kid nailing dad in the nuts with some sort of flying object, being it a ball, a frisbee, or something else. :D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Tenchiro
I read through her speech and realized that I have never seen State Auditors doing any of those things either.
Aye matey, but you're a god forsaken pirate. Not one of them good god fearing folk. The devil must have given you supernatural powers of observation. :)

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
Originally posted by Freak
You act like he has single handedly messed everything up in this country.....It's not just him....it's all of the past administrations that have led up to this.

No I didn't vote for GWB.
You are right, it isn't ALL his fault but as the president he acts as the leader of the country and thus needs to take responsibility for the actions of the country and I would also like to think that he has the ability to right the wrong of past administrations instead of using those wrong as a presidence for further straying from the course set by the founding fathers of our country.

I just read a really good book called Dreaming War by Gore Vidal, it's an interesting read telling why our government acts the way it does now. Basically, things have been screwed up since WWII.

I hope that someday we have a president that tries to set things straight and actually follow the constitution... hey that's a thought...

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by Silver
Aye matey, but you're a god forsaken pirate. Not one of them good god fearing folk. The devil must have given you supernatural powers of observation. :)
Yarr!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well now,

Im not exactly god fearin', and i dont give a rats ass about an 11 year olds opinion, but dammit.....that wasnt half bad.

How can the rest of you bitch about how she's making generalizations? What's she supposed to do...adress every citizen by name? All the anti-war arguments ive seen have been nothing but broad generalizations formed of completely ambiguous rhetoric. Everyone who doesnt agree with your little utopian views must be a hawk right?

Im glad to see people standing up for a situation that makes sense rather than just to try and defy something. In my situation, this WILL change my life. But i see its need.

If you're not part of the solution....you are in fact, part of the problem.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Well now,

Im not exactly god fearin', and i dont give a rats ass about an 11 year olds opinion, but dammit.....that wasnt half bad.

How can the rest of you bitch about how she's making generalizations? What's she supposed to do...adress every citizen by name

It's called respect-- I stopped reading when she started in with "tree-hugging......" It's the same tactics some use here, interspercing name calling with "ambiguous rhetoric."

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nice logic, let's apply that a little:

My car will not start. I replaced the battery and it still will not run. The battery was not the solution so it must be part of the problem. I will remove the battery from my car and that will help it start.

My brother will not help me paint my house. He is not a solution so he must be part of the problem. I will severe all relationships with my brother and that will help get my house painted.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Well now,

How can the rest of you bitch about how she's making generalizations? What's she supposed to do...adress every citizen by name? All the anti-war arguments ive seen have been nothing but broad generalizations formed of completely ambiguous rhetoric. Everyone who doesnt agree with your little utopian views must be a hawk right?

Im glad to see people standing up for a situation that makes sense rather than just to try and defy something. In my situation, this WILL change my life. But i see its need.

She is simply labeling people and then dismissing them with a generalization that may or may not be true.

It is easy to label all liberals as "pro abortion" and then dismiss their opinions as to the value of human life in Iraq, for example.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by patconnole
It's called respect-- I stopped reading when she started in with "tree-hugging......" It's the same tactics some use here, interspercing name calling with "ambiguous rhetoric."
Dude,

You've heard exactly the same kinds of things from the opposite side. Myself and others have read a ton of your slanted links that refer to people supporting the president as 'War Mongers" i believe. You especially owe it a read with all the stuff you post up here.
:)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
She is simply labeling people and then dismissing them with a generalization that may or may not be true.

It is easy to label all liberals as "pro abortion" and then dismiss their opinions as to the value of human life in Iraq, for example.
Well if it doesnt apply to you, you have no reason to be offended then do you?

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Dude,

You've heard exactly the same kinds of things from the opposite side. Myself and others have read a ton of your slanted links that refer to people supporting the president as 'War Mongers" i believe. You especially owe it a read with all the stuff you post up here.
:)
Good point.:)

But I actually believe they're war-mongers!---- I don't think I've posted anything like yours though, with the generalizing list that started with "tree-hugging.....". I don't like that for either side of the coin.

EDITO: er, I like it less for my side.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Well, mostly I'd bitch at her because that speech is a mismash of war, God, and fvck the hippies. I also haven't heard much protest against American troops, that has been mostly saved for their leaders. She seems to try to link being against the war as equal with not supporting our troops, and I really don't think that is the case.

It's conservative diarrhea. And it's got that great moral clarity that only the religious or the insane seem to posess.

<I> Throughout the course of history, this country has remained free, not because of movie stars and liberal activists but because of brave men and women who hated war too</I>

I've also got bad news for the esteemed state auditor of Alabama. Reading that she might want to dig up Thomas Jefferson and scream at him for a while. He was quite the liberal in his time....

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Well if it doesnt apply to you, you have no reason to be offended then do you?
Who said I was offended? I just realize that all she is doing is name calling, and pointing that out that fact.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Who said I was offended? I just realize that all she is doing is name calling, and pointing that out that fact.
I didnt mean "you" even though i said "you" twice...i just meant people in general. Sorry.:cool: