Quantcast

Stans Flow MK3 and/or Maxxis EXO...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
One or both of these can suck a bag of something. I have never had so many cut sidewalls. Which is the weak link here? I keep winning these EXO tires at races and them seem legit, but damn I'm tired of ruining rides. Or perhaps is these stupid 30mm rims from Stans?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
you are probably on to something with the width of the rim leaving the sidewall more exposed to scrapes and cuts. @landcruiser confirmed as much way back in the day in the DH tires thread. For me, the sweet spot seems to be 25-27mm inner-width rims and 2.3" to 2.5" tires. I'm quite happy with the 2.3 DD Aggressor as a rear tire, paired with a 2.5" DHF EXO front. On Spank Oozy 295s (25mm inner width).

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I've had similar problems on EXOs and standard Flow rims. I don't know what it is either, but I've moved away from Maxxis on the rear and have been good to go, running tires for 6 months or more!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
To sum up:

Yes, I'm a hack as Jeremy's pic shows.

I have picked the old man class souls because they give away Maxxis tires as prizes. Jokes on me I guess

Metemorphic, what tires are you running now?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If you want a good balance between weight and flat/cut resistance, I think the Schwalbe SuperGravity casing or Maxxis DD are the way to go. They do weigh ~280g more. EXO is really light and I find them reasonable for their weight, hard to expect super-durable at those numbers. I'm sure you can just sell your freebies, spenduro is a high demand segment.

I agree with everyone who commented on wider rims too, but save changing that for when they blow up.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've run exos in nc rox and related gullys, as well as on my occasional trips to windrock, bailey, snowshoe, for years. i've never slashed a sidewall (*runs and frantically knocks on dining room table). my biggest prob is burping them when i'm not careful to check pressure. i have torn knobs and torn them on top. i attribute the burpings to my decidedly non-ust ex500s and hackish steeze. very interested in the DD casing as idgaf about a bit of weight and would like some added sidewall support.

Last edited:

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
To sum up:

Yes, I'm a hack as Jeremy's pic shows.

I have picked the old man class souls because they give away Maxxis tires as prizes. Jokes on me I guess

To be fair, you were a young hack when that photo was taken.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Specialized Purgatory GRIDs :shocked:. Not even the super turbo beefy GRID casing like the Slaughter and Butcher get. Allz I'm saying is that last year I sliced and botched 7 Maxxis tires (6 EXO DHR/DHF/SS minions and a DD Aggressor) within about 4 months on my Flow rims. Most expensive 4 months of riding evar.

Moved to the Purgatory and 1st one lasted about 7 months, second one is going strong at 5 months in. They just work.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Specialized Purgatory GRIDs :shocked:. Not even the super turbo beefy GRID casing like the Slaughter and Butcher get. Allz I'm saying is that last year I sliced and botched 7 Maxxis tires (6 EXO DHR/DHF/SS minions and a DD Aggressor) within about 4 months on my Flow rims. Most expensive 4 months of riding evar.

Moved to the Purgatory and 1st one lasted about 7 months, second one is going strong at 5 months in. They just work.
Or maybe you're just lucky. My GRID Slaughter lasted about 7 weeks. I liked it a lot while it lasted though... I have to think it has to do with width.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Well, Maxxis is getting a box of bad tires. Tried to remount DD Aggressor that I have previously used and the damn bead was warped and wouldn't stay on the rim. The preverbal "straw".

So I am going to try Schwable. Good grief, starting over with tread patterers and acronyms is daunting. Any help? I am looking to endurbro, but Im a hack and like to find squared edges. What should I be looking for?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Cut sidewalls:

take better lines

Or

Narrower rim for given tire

Or

Larger balloon tire for given rim

Or

Dh casing with butyl bead insert

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Better lines are a matter of opinion. I like to take big boys lines on my SB6. "Better lines" are for the hard tail.

Not ready to relacce wheels with new rims just yet. Although I feel the is where I am going to end up.

Rear triangle of the SB6 struggled to fit the 2.4 High Roller II. 2.35 was fine. Can't go bigger.

While I am taking big boy lines, I'm not taking DH lines. EXO sucks a bag. Plain and simple. DD had worked, but Maxxis has had too many strikes. I not sponsored by a tire manufacturer anymore, I'm a consumer and I'm not fooling around with their tires anymore.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a pair of bonty SE4 2.4s waiting for me at my next tire swap. I'm skeptical, but a friend has had good experience.

Also, I've ridden the e13 trs+(?) And those are awesome, if not a big sluggish on the ups.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Edit - oops, too late :D

So I am going to try Schwable. Good grief, starting over with tread patterers and acronyms is daunting. Any help? I am looking to endurbro, but Im a hack and like to find squared edges. What should I be looking for?
I am not very endurbro at all, but IMO you want the SuperGravity casing (it's the DD equivalent), and Schwalbe run a bit big so their 2.35 is the same as an old 2.5 (26") Minion DHF, or ever so slightly bigger.

I don't think you can actually get the SG casing in smaller sizes (eg. 2.25) so I'd say a good bet is to buy one for the front first and see if you think it'll fit the rear for yourself. The Magic Mary is an awesome tread pattern, but I give zero f's about rolling resistance so this may not be for you. In 2.35 SG, actual weight is 1150g.

The "Snakeskin, TL Easy" casing is the next step down in casing thickness, which opens up smaller sizes (2.25 etc) and other tread pattern options (Nobby Nic, which is probably similar to the Aggressor), but I reckon all that will do is maintain your current problem.

They have just changed their compound names again too annoyingly, but basically you'd want "Addix Ultra Soft" if you want the most grip (maybe front only for enduro) and "Addix Soft" for a bit more life and faster rolling. The softest Schwalbe compounds are always softer than the softest Maxxis (which I like), but as a result if you pick the softest for the rear it *will* wear fast. I do it anyway.

Honestly, looking at what I wrote and comparing it to your requirements, I'm not sure Schwalbe is the right choice for you - unless you're looking for a grippier and slower rolling pattern that may not fit your bike / may be too big for your liking. Hopefully you have enough info to make up your own mind now though.

I have no allegiance to either brand and run Schwalbe on my DH bike + Maxxis on my trailbike atm. If you want to ditch Maxxis maybe consider other brands, though in your shoes I'd probably just give another Maxxis in DD another shot.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'm kinda of a principle kind of guy. Probably to a fault. Maxxis is on the black list perhaps to my own peril. Time will tell.

I got the 2.35 Magic Mary in the New Addix compound with the SS sidewall for the front. I grabbed a Super Gravity 2.35 Trailstar in both the Hans Dampf and Magic Mary for rear duties depending on conditions.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Sweet, I think/hope you'll like them as long as you're not hugely fussed on rolling resistance.

The place Schwalbe solidly outshine Maxxis in my book is in wet conditions, especially when you need to use the same rubber in mixed conditions. I find Maxxis is more "one or the other" and their mud options have always been inferior. Wait for a wet race, strap on the double mary n let er rip.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
The increased volume/width on those schwabblez should work well with 30mm internal rims. Rocks will graze against side knobs instead of bulging and exposed sidewalls like the minions, and the butyl reinforced super-g casing is much more cut-resistant than the light weight trail/xc exo casing.

Happy shredding

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm kinda of a principle kind of guy. Probably to a fault. Maxxis is on the black list perhaps to my own peril. Time will tell.

I got the 2.35 Magic Mary in the New Addix compound with the SS sidewall for the front. I grabbed a Super Gravity 2.35 Trailstar in both the Hans Dampf and Magic Mary for rear duties depending on conditions.
I'm oh so very enduro and am currently on my 2nd SuperGravity Magic Mary in the Vertstar compound 2.35 up front. It is awesome.

Out back I am currently running a Minion DHRII exo.

Both tires are on the new Flow MKIII. Pretty good luck so far, but I'm not riding a lot less rox than most.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

When those Schwalbes wear out, which, if you ride regularly, should only be a matter of a few weeks, do yourself a favor:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Seconding what enduro Udi said, the Magic Marys are a great gravity tyre, and definitely better in the wet than the Maxxis options. For dry or gravel conditions, especially if you need fast rolling speed grab a Minion DHF but otherwise the SG Magic Marys are fantastic.

I've heard good things about the Michelins as well but haven't given them a go. Do they come in a million different compounds, sidewall strengths and sizes? Whats the proper version for 27.5?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Seconding what enduro Udi said, the Magic Marys are a great gravity tyre, and definitely better in the wet than the Maxxis options. For dry or gravel conditions, especially if you need fast rolling speed grab a Minion DHF but otherwise the SG Magic Marys are fantastic.

I've heard good things about the Michelins as well but haven't given them a go. Do they come in a million different compounds, sidewall strengths and sizes? Whats the proper version for 27.5?
The Michelin Wild Rockr2 is the business as a trail bike tire. There's only one casing (which is solid, much tougher than a Exo) and two rubber compounds. Magi-X is the soft one, Gum-X is harder. I usually run a Magi-X front, with a 2.3 DHR2 or Minion SS rear.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Tires, it seems that you can fill the whole internet with comments about them! ;)

I don't use Schwalbe any more since their side knobs tear off way too easily.

Nobody mentioned Onza? I have/had Ibex on both my trail and DH bikes and like them, not the grippiest in the wet tho...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Not stans rims.

Unless maximizing weakness with weight and the inability to hold onto some of the best made tires out there is your thing. I seriously don't understand the ubiquity of those things.
Rushes to dictionary to look up ubiquity….

I'm probably most mad about this. I have run 25mm rims forever and when I jumped into the 27.5" game I let myself get whitewashed with this whole wide rim crap. Needless to say, the EXO should be more durable than they are. Otherthan the price tag, I'm kind of excited about trying the Schwalbe tires. I rode a buddy's bike and had a ton of fun with how predictably drifty the Nobby Nic was.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Well, Maxxis is getting a box of bad tires. Tried to remount DD Aggressor that I have previously used and the damn bead was warped and wouldn't stay on the rim. The preverbal "straw".
This also happened to me on a DD Aggressor. Kept blowing off the rim, no obvious damage, but the bead was eff'ed apparently. Could not figure that one out for the life of me. I cannot offer any Schwalbe advice, but good luck man!!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
This also happened to me on a DD Aggressor. Kept blowing off the rim, no obvious damage, but the bead was eff'ed apparently. Could not figure that one out for the life of me. I cannot offer any Schwalbe advice, but good luck man!!
Weird fact: the brand-new DD Aggressor a friend bought from CRC came with a warped/stretched bead maybe three weeks ago. Seems like Maxxis needs to step up their QC.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just boxed up 3 used tires full of plugs, patches and stretched beads. Sending to Maxxis ASAP with a little note regarding where they can stick them. :blah:

Last edited:

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I just boxed up 3 used tires full of plugs, patches and stretched beads. Sending to Maxxis ASAP with a little note regarding where they can stick them. :blah:
When I was in the great Maxxis Detonation Phase of 2016, I called them and explained the situation. Their only resolution: "It sounds like you should really try some of our downhill casing and wire-beaded tires".

Yeah ok Maxxis, I should run world cup level DH tires for my 140mm trail bike. Thanks jerkwads. I rode Maxxis for YEARS leading to that too. Help me love you Maxxis, I really want to.