Quantcast

Stans: yes or no ?

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
thinking about going Tubeless, have Mavic 317's and Non UST tires, would I need to change to a UST tyre, stan seems to say no, any experience ?

anyone use stans ? negatives ? positives ?

thanks

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
yes yes

I run the Mavic d3.1 rear and x3.1 front. I run a WTB Weirwolf up front which is not a UST tire with Stans.

However I usually run a UST tire in the rear, not sure why just depends on what I buy/sales etc. Right now I have a maxxis Larsen TT 2.0, but have also run Panaracer XC Fire 2.1. I think you just need a wire beed for stans to work well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by rockracing
thinking about going Tubeless, have Mavic 317's and Non UST tires, would I need to change to a UST tyre, stan seems to say no, any experience ?

anyone use stans ? negatives ? positives ?

thanks
I have used stans with great success with 317 rims. Some non UST tires work better than others. I have the best results with Hutchinson and maxxis tires, had troubles with Panaracers and Conti's. I have only used kevlar beaded tires.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
I'm running Michelin Comps S kevlar, will that work, they're new so wouldn't want to change them right away, would get UST tires in future if I run them.

now anyone know where's a good place to buy from online that will post overseas, cant use paypal, so notubes.com is out of the question.

is it difficult to pump up the tires initially ?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You should check out the technews on the www.velonews.com site. Leonard Zinn has a bunch of stuff on tubeless and in particular, a guy from Intense provides interesting opinion from his personal testing. In short the Intense guy does not like using standard tires with sealants as he feels they are designed to work best with a tube. Without a tube the casing is far too flexible and he thinks it wastes energy and rides poorly. UST tires on the other hand have thicker stiffer casing and are intended to work without tubes(obviously).

I haven't run Stan's yet but I now have all the stuff to do it. I may try some Kenda Karmas on XTR wheels this weekend. I do have strips for my other wheelset, DTSwiss rims, and I did run that with UST tires for a while. Real UST rims work a lot better than the Stans strips and UST tires. With Stans the tires are much tighter and harder to mount and the strip takes up space so there is less volume in the tire. Once I got the XTR wheels and transfered the Michelin CompS Lite UST I could feel a better ride immediately.

I did try to inflate a set of Specialized Rockster comp s tires on the Stans strips and those pumped up with a floor pump very easily. The regular tires went on much more easily too.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by oldfart
You should check out the technews on the www.velonews.com site. Leonard Zinn has a bunch of stuff on tubeless and in particular, a guy from Intense provides interesting opinion from his personal testing. In short the Intense guy does not like using standard tires with sealants as he feels they are designed to work best with a tube. Without a tube the casing is far too flexible and he thinks it wastes energy and rides poorly. UST tires on the other hand have thicker stiffer casing and are intended to work without tubes(obviously).

I haven't run Stan's yet but I now have all the stuff to do it. I may try some Kenda Karmas on XTR wheels this weekend. I do have strips for my other wheelset, DTSwiss rims, and I did run that with UST tires for a while. Real UST rims work a lot better than the Stans strips and UST tires. With Stans the tires are much tighter and harder to mount and the strip takes up space so there is less volume in the tire. Once I got the XTR wheels and transfered the Michelin CompS Lite UST I could feel a better ride immediately.

I did try to inflate a set of Specialized Rockster comp s tires on the Stans strips and those pumped up with a floor pump very easily. The regular tires went on much more easily too.
Hey oldfart I've been using the kenda karmas on my new race bike on cane creek wheel with stans. They're the stick e model, they have been great except don't use them anywhere that has sharp rocks. The other day i had one of the side walls slashed like someone took a knife to it and the stans didn;t really stop the air that well. I've used pythons and have never had probs with them,

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Be careful while inflating, I let my sometimes forgetful dad try to inflate them. He blasted my panaracers to the moon (Put more than the starter 10 PSI in) and stretched out the kevlar bead, now theres no way stans will work in them, and its difficult even with a regular tube. I think I may go buy some Hutchinson Scorpion USTs and see how it works then, my FireXCs were not UST.

You will probably need a compressor, btw, I have never heard of anyone able to get the beads seated with a floor pump.

dunk

Chimp
Apr 13, 2004
Down Under
Ive had no problems with Stan's, and recommend it highly. I've had no problems getting beads seated with my floor pump (Crank Bros), I've never needed to use a compressor.