Quantcast

Staying sober

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, just so I could ride on NYD, I decided not to partake tonight. Boy, life gets very boring without booze.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
You going full off the sauce?
I just made 30 days today.

Boring, but then it gets funny.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I partook last night......usually don't on new years...

woke up.....

tried shaving....

wondered why the shaving cream wasn't lathering up...

looked in mirror....

i had toothpaste all over my face....

going back to bed now.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I had two 40's at the dirt jumps last night in the ripping wind and bitter cold. We still jumped and had a great time. Made some fondue, had a Stella, and stayed up long enough to see the ball drop then headed to bed.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I don't drink, but the wife and I had a friend over and played games most of the night....it was fun

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What was strange was driving around San Francisco. My crappy bike is out of service, so I decided to drive, and it felt I should have a cow catcher to plow through all the people hailing taxis.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I partook last night, and it was good. We watched the latest Indiana Jones flick last night. That was not so good.

We got out for a six mile snowshoe hike this afternoon. Good times. :)

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Hung out with wife, watched new Indiana Jones (lame...) drank 3 Shiners...rode 14 solo miles in the desert this afternoon. Not a bad start for the Neuvo Ano...

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
For the topic. Im always sober so last night was no different. I ll be the first to admit Im the most boring person I know though.

Stay out of the backcountry right now. Seriously.
I had planned on starting a new thread about this but this one will work now. We dont really have this problem on the east coast but some of RM Im guessing with back country skiing/snowboarding especially should be aware of this.

A video of one of the survivors of an avalanche in BC where 8 snowmobilers were killed when they were burried by multiple avalanches. Its hard to watch.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/popup_nlp.html?http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/news/features/jeff-adams081231.wmv

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
For the topic. Im always sober so last night was no different. I ll be the first to admit Im the most boring person I know though.

I had planned on starting a new thread about this but this one will work now. We dont really have this problem on the east coast but some of RM Im guessing with back country skiing/snowboarding especially should be aware of this.

A video of one of the survivors of an avalanche in BC where 8 snowmobilers were killed when they were burried by multiple avalanches. Its hard to watch.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/popup_nlp.html?http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/news/features/jeff-adams081231.wmv
Everything from Colorado west is..... beyond scary. The usual rules about the back country don't apply. People are getting killed on the flats by cornices breaking off. The snowpack in the backcountry has been likened to sheets of plywood on top of ball bearings. Jackson Hole, Snowbird, Grand County, CO; this goes on and on. One of our local areas had four in bounds slides last week; a patoller was buried up to his chest while shooting hazard zones.

Last edited:

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
Everything from Colorado west is..... beyond scary. The usual rules about the back country don't apply. People are getting killed on the flats by cornices breaking off. The snowpack in the backcountry has been likened to sheets of plywood on top of ball bearings. Jackson Hole, Snowbird, Grand County, CO; this goes on and on. One of our local areas had four in bounds slides last week; a patoller was buried up to his chest while shooting hazard zones.
The same time as the avalanche in BC I believe two were killed by slides in Utah and Colorado. The survivor interview pretty much said the same thing as you. They were aware of the dangers so they werent highmarking (trying to ride as high and steep as possible) they thought they were safe cause they were staying at the base. The survivor was buried twice there were a total of 4 avalanches before they got off the mountain. Crazy stuff. Good warning Geargrrl:thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm just getting into snowshoeing... any tips?
We are just getting into it too. In fact, yesterday was the third time I've ever done it. So, I don't have a lot of advice to give. I must say that the new hiking boots I bought make the experience more fun. The boots are waterproof (Gore Tex) and warm. Warm, dry feet are nice. If my feet didn't get cold yesterday, they'll never get cold.