Quantcast

Ste Anne World Cup

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
why does everybody always predict kovarik...he's an awesome rider, always puts up great results, but aside from ONE awesome race years ago, he wins about as much as...well, he doesn't win at any rate. .
He left a huge impression on people from era 1999-2002.....he had few wins (Norbas included) where he trounced pummeled and dismembered the competition....also, seeing him in practice, at his peak, was probably the most impressive DH riding i have ever seen.....but i haven't seen it all by any means...

It's mostly reminiscing i think....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
why does everybody always predict kovarik...he's an awesome rider, always puts up great results, but aside from ONE awesome race years ago, he wins about as much as...well, he doesn't win at any rate.

I predict one of the top 5 guys will take it. Probably Gee or Sam, but i'm still pulling for peat like I do for every race.
Might want to check his World Cup resume. Before Sam Hill was the next Chosen One, Kovarik was the next Chosen One. And he's stomped mudholes in everybody more than once at Mte Saint Anne. My CK Fanboy post of the day...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I donno, I haven't been in the DH scene that long, but it seems everybody ALWAYS predicts him to win, and he never does. He seems to be about as consistent as swiss cheese. After Psychosis though, maybe he'll put a stomping on everybody and prove me wrong! It'd be pretty rad to see another 14 second win.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I donno, I haven't been in the DH scene that long, but it seems everybody ALWAYS predicts him to win, and he never does. He seems to be about as consistent as swiss cheese. After Psychosis though, maybe he'll put a stomping on everybody and prove me wrong! It'd be pretty rad to see another 14 second win.
There were also 2 or 3 years at Mt. Snow on his final run where parts of his bike (wheels mostly i think) literally exlpoded....

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
CK stomped our phat wed race last week.....yeah, just a local beer league race, but we have plently of super fast guys.....he put 11 seconds into 2nd/3rd on a 2m30s course with a 2:19........and he always seems to step up at st.anne......I'm pulling for him and rennie....and if it stays wet, pascal!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
well, hopefully he proves me wrong, but I don't see it happening. Smart money is on Gee or Sam, probably Gee the way he's been riding this year!

I will admit that the Psychosis result was nothing short of spectacular - Sam beats previous record by like 14 seconds and then Kovarik takes off another 30 or something? crazy. Still though, I just don't see him anything above top 5 at Saint Anne

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
why does everybody always predict kovarik...
He was the most talented DH rider MTBing has ever seen (in regards to pure aggressive style, no holds barred, pure strength, ability to read terrain, on and on....). CK was just about to have a season where he dominated the globe, but blew his leg up and has not been same since.
I always try to refrain from a course being 'suited for him' type of thing, but, MSA has CK's name all over it.

Throw in the fact my wife says 'hes so hot' and you got yourself a rider for the fans.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Oddly enough, I did a little homework on Kovarik on the UCI site..which by the way takes forever to find rider's results pages. From '05 on his international results are pretty darn bad expert for a 3rd & 1st in '06, he's stunk it up everywhere except in North America.

warwick

Chimp
Oct 13, 2001
Squamish, BC
Can you please reactivate my account on DHracer.com please :cheers:
My site was DHrace.com (no "r")...

I keep semi-joking that I'm going to come out of "retirement" to make The Circus 2: 10 Years Later - then Fraser pulled me onboard the Freecaster crew for the next few events and got me out of retirement prematurely!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I kinda wish they'd left the plant....funny to see if it makes it through the week, watch people steer around it until somebody eventually plows over it, then other people start following suit and hitting it on purpose, and see what happens to it by the end of the course.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think I'm gonna go ahead an place a wager on Hill given the weather. I'll buy a round of drinks (for myself) if peaty pulls through and wins though

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
There must be massive amounts of rage in Hill though for losing the worlds in such a manner. I bet he wants to put school in session and put some time on the rest of the field to reassure us he is the fastest out there right now. He did have one of the most epic mud races ever. Speaking of epic mud races...I put Pascal on the podium as well if is remains sloppy.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I was soooooo disappointed in that course when I showed up (just to watch). All that crazy terrain and the worlds best riders and they came up with that course...for shame! I think that was the year I stole a VIP pass out of the press room and I was Habib Shamalamasomething from Xerox and proceeded to get ****faced with free beer in the VIP tent...lol.

You remember the old '94 open fire roady course (Shandro's favorite..haha) then in '95 they changed it to the crazy course and I was changing elastomers in my Manitou DH every run as they just exploded in the shocks. The forearm pump was crippling! That course was a defining moment in North American DH racing. A lot of the Yanks were complaining about it at the riders meeting but the Euro's liked it. Looks like it has evolved nicely for this year! Even the 4X looks good.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Oddly enough, I did a little homework on Kovarik on the UCI site..which by the way takes forever to find rider's results pages. From '05 on his international results are pretty darn bad expert for a 3rd & 1st in '06, he's stunk it up everywhere except in North America.
Yeah he totally sucked those years. I guess the shattered leg with the multiple halos mighta got snagged on his frame or something.

I'm no CK fan really, (hell I reckon Hill will be back with a vengeance after the Champs result), but his form this year has been nuts.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I can definitely see Strobel putting up a real good result if the weather stays craptastic. If Lehikonen is lining up, I wouldn't count him out. He's got to be itching to score a win for his new team. Regardless, it sounds like it's going to be an interesting race to be at. Enjoy!

Oh yeah, I will predict that Mark Brent (aka - SeaPig) will dominate the 40-X category. Dom-in-ate.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Yeah he totally sucked those years. I guess the shattered leg with the multiple halos mighta got snagged on his frame or something.

I'm no CK fan really, (hell I reckon Hill will be back with a vengeance after the Champs result), but his form this year has been nuts.
Down there homer. I'm CK Fanboy #1 because I've watched him first hand in his prime. He is the world's fastest but the accident definitely took away his edge. I was refering to the fact that in 07 and 08, I couldn't even find single digit finishes for him...a big surprise to me, considering after he came back from the injury he logged big results in '06. Seriously, in 07 & 08, he has worse results than some US riders is all.

Edit:anybody besides me getting the urge to buy a Vito Sport Dualiner after staring at dirt's site too long?

Last edited:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Edit:anybody besides me getting the urge to buy a Vito Sport Dualiner after staring at dirt's site too long?
they are pretty impressive. i wonder if they're even available in the U.S.? might have to stick with one of those Dodge rip-offs.

Gee
Hill
Peat
CK
Pascal