Quantcast

Steel 29er

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Hey guys (and girls).I am currently riding a missfit dissent 29er hardtail.This is an aluminum frame .The other bikes I have are also aluminum.I am wanting to try a steel 29er because I have not rode a steel frame since about '96 an it was a pretty low end one then.I have it narrowed down to four choices so far.I chose these because of versatility and price.I was just looking for oppinions or other possible frames that you may know of that would fit my bill.Thanks in advance for your help.

Also if anyone has a used steel 29er I would definately be interested.Thanks again.:happydance:

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
You don't say which four are on your list, but might I suggest these? The Inbred, The Karate Monkee, The Niner SIR 9, and The Haro Mary. Any of these would be durable, comfortable, great handling, and inexpensive frames/bikes. There are other choices, but I think these strike the best balance of ride quality, aesthetics, and bang for the buck.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I have two that are on your list. I really like both, and I am not likely to ever get rid of either one. Here are some points....

Karate Monkey: This one is the mother from which most other hardtails have sprung. Yes it's a bit heavy, but that means it's durable and probably will be around a long long time. The best thing about the bike is the spot on handling. Surly hit a home run with their geometry on this one. If you can get one to fit, (the standover can be a bit high for some) then you are golden. Cons: Rear dropouts and disc brakes are a fiddly combination. Wheel removal can be a bit tedious. If run in a geared set up, you need the special drop out spacers called "Monkey Nuts" to help clear the front derailluer.

Inbred 29"er: This bike has another great handling package. The frame details (gussets, DeKerf-like seat stays) are cool and the rear tire clearance is pretty decent. The frame is a bit more compliant than a Monkee and a bit lighter, but not by alot. The standover clearance is very generous and the top tube lengths available fit a wide variety of folks. Rear tire removal is a breeze even with disc brakes because of the sliding drop out design. Cons: Some have complained of slippage with their sliding drop out designs, but a newer, heavier duty version of the tensioner is out that's supposed to quell any slippagge issues. (Mine have never been a problem and I have the earlier, skinnier version tensioners) You might need a 400mm post with this bike as the seat tubes run shorter to allow for better standover with a staright top tube.

Hope that helps!

T-Blazer

Monkey
Jun 8, 2004
rochester,ny
STEEL IS REAL!! Been jammin on the Kona Unit 2-9 for 6 months and its a great ride. I do run a Reba shock and its set up as a ss. Steal frames make for a velvity ride.

Victor

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I switched back to steel on my SS about two months ago after riding a C-Dale 1FG for a few years. My frame before was a Parkpre Pro 825 made of Tange Ultimate tubing (a step above prestige). It rode great.

In going back to steel and switching from 26" to 29", I went with the Niner SIR9. Wow, what a great bike. Compliant and stiff where you want each. The Reynolds 853 frame is light and responsive. I can't say enough about it. It's currently rigid with a Niner fork at 490 A-C. A little tall right now, so the stem is inverted slightly, but it rides like a dream and I can't spend enough time on it.

Good luck with your choice. I'd ride a few to see what kind of ride you want before you buy.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Well I ended up with a kona unit 2-9 in the green.Right now I have a pace carbon rigid fork on the front and it's a little tall so I have my stem inverted with a flat bar.I will post pictures this weekend.Right now The flatbar I'am running is an old 23 incher and I think Iam going to go to a 25 inch bar and see how it feels.

Other than that I'am just scrounging up funds for an american classic wheelset.Anybody have any info on these wheels?Also any recomendations on a wide flatbar?I looked at the salsa promot but iam not sure about all the back sweep.:monkeydance:

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Salsa bars are sweet. The backsweep is not a big issue, really. Especially if you ever used a riser bar, think of it as a riser, without the rise!

Another good really wide flat bar is Niners Flat Top 9 bar. It's a 31.8 clamp diameter though, so your stem would need to agree with that. You can also cut down the Flat Top 9 from it's 28 inch length. I have both of these bars and they are both awesome.

I have heard some troubling things concerning American Classic wheel sets. I've also heard raves. Leads me to believe that either (a) they are of inconsistent quality, or (b) they are not up to super severe conditions riding. Normal XC stuff, maybe.

At any rate, I wouldn't recommend them, nor buy them myself based upon their spotty reputation amongst the 29"er community.

lovehamr

Chimp
Dec 15, 2006
I retired my Nuke Proof al ride and built a Kona Unit 2-9er as well. I'm using the dropouts from the Exlposif model so I can run it geared though. Got a sweet deal on the frame as a closeout on ebay. So far I use it for just about everything.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Well I ended up with a kona unit 2-9 in the green.Right now I have a pace carbon rigid fork on the front and it's a little tall so I have my stem inverted with a flat bar.I will post pictures this weekend.Right now The flatbar I'am running is an old 23 incher and I think Iam going to go to a 25 inch bar and see how it feels.

Other than that I'am just scrounging up funds for an american classic wheelset.Anybody have any info on these wheels?Also any recomendations on a wide flatbar?I looked at the salsa promot but iam not sure about all the back sweep.:monkeydance:
Buddy of mine rode them and destroyed the bearings. Something about the lack of proper fitting and a bad design that crushed the bearings. Anyhow, he still owns the wheels and got a machinest friend to fix the problem, but doesn't suggest them.

I've been running Surly Hubs for a few years now and other than having the front loosen up on my recently I have had ZERO problems. They lace up really nicely as the flanges are designed so you only use one length of spokes throughout.

As for bars. I run an old Answer Pro Taper that I love. It came in Ano Gold and was decently light. If I were to go for a modern bar I'd pick up a 9 or 11* bend Bontrager bar. Very wide and still light. Strong as hell too. Backsweep is good, but in my opinion too much of it is a bad thing. 9* degrees of sweep is great for me. Some like a bit more, but I tried the no On-One bars with mondo sweep (Mary bars?) and disliked them immediately. Just get a set of Cane Creek Ergo Barends so you have a second hand position and extra leverage.

With SS and rigid a bar with a second hand position and lotsa leverage is key.

The Ito

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
also don't forget voodoo. they make a great product. i have the bizango frame (though not a 29") its ride is fairly complient but its still remarkable stiff in an all out effort. the 29'er that they make has a sliding dropout and keeps the disc brake in the right location all the time. also the dropout itself is vertical so there will be no sliding issues.

just another though

btw dirtrag did a review on it last year i think in the october issue and they really liked it