Quantcast

Steel fork to carbon

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
I am restoring an older Benotto, it has a one inch threaded steel fork. I was thinking today about swapping the steel one for a carbon one. What is a good fork manufacturer? I would want to spend $100-200. unthreaded. and also a good headset to go along with it

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
On second thought I would like to keep the original fork, but I like the new style stems as opposed to the older 'skinny' ones. I know that the steerer tube is too short to modify, just wondering if there is such thing as a newer looking stem that would work for an older fork, with the plate that comes totaly off to insert the handel bars instead of having to strip one side down in order to 'weave' the handle bars in place

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Profile makes a buncha quill stems with face plates.

There is an attachment that is made that turns a threaded/quill system into a threadless... but I don't recommend it or sell it to any of my customers. Too much stress goes through your stem to have it have something else going on there. If that makes sense

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
sorry chico, it was way too late for me to be making sense. what i was saying is there is an attachment that clamps on to the steerer making a quill steerer into a threadless. it ruins (IMO) the integraty of the whole area (stem/steerer)

make anymore sense??