Quantcast

Steel vs Aluminium (more like...ox plat vs scandium)

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Thinking about getting a new xc/tailbike hardtail(have enough full sus, don't need more) Looking at new steel frames reynolds 853, ox platinum.. etc... vs easton ultralite and scandium frames.

for steel i'm looking at..
Kona Explosif
Kelly
IndyFab
Salsa

and for alum..
Konda King Kula
Canyon
Salsa

Not to much of a weight weenie, just wondering how wheel the newer aluminiums ride. Kinda wondering the fatigue life of them as well.

The Kona Explosif is my top choice so far... true temper ox... and cheap. Not sure on the dropouts though.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ultralight is nice, I ride a Homegrown made out of it (Or whatever they called it, N'Lightened), but it will beat the crap out of you. The Scandium is more forgiving, I'd go with the Kona, they've had it out for awhile. Indy fab steel stuff rocks, but I don't have enough experience with steel to give a good comment.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco-gringo said:
You want a 2003 Salsa Caballero. Lite and scandium. :D
You need reading lessons?

Grimey said:
Thinking about getting a new xc/tailbike hardtail(have enough full sus, don't need more)

Steel lasts for a lot longer if properly cared for. Some manufacturers will warranty steel for life as opposed to aluminum for 5 years. (ok, the only one I have found is IH.)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Perhaps I'm still having new bike love... but I think the Explosif with Platinum OX is kick ass. Smooth ride, nice and light. :thumb:

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
I just got a Scandium Canyon Cycles and it is awesome! It rides like a steel bike but weighs almost a pound less. I'm going to be using it on all my ultra long climby rides/races like the Vision Quest. Call Robby Rupe at Canyon, he'll set you up right. 818-885-6900