Quantcast

steepest climbs?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Got in my 3rd road ride today since returning to the bike after 6 months away and climbed one of the steepest climbs I've ever done. 15%(according to the guide book) for 1.2 miles. The thing just shot up and was a killer. I've never worked my arms so hard on a road ride! It was all part of a 25 mile loop with a 1000 or so feet of climbing. Anyway, I was stoked on the climb and felt I should share.

just a question though....what do the hills look like in your neck of the woods? Steepest climbs? Hardest climbs? I like to hear and I want motivation to keep rocking the road rides!

The Ito

J

JRB

Wow - and I thought I had it bad at 7% for 2 1/2 miles. Oh well, I am a sissy.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
loco said:
Wow - and I thought I had it bad at 7% for 2 1/2 miles. Oh well, I am a sissy.
I'm still proud of you :)

My steepest climb is out of bed, the rest is downhill.

I can't think of one specific steep climb. The one that keeps coming into my head is Lyons to Ward (NW of Boulder, CO)... fookin' thing is 5% for 25 miles! There's only three little areas to catch your breath.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
San Diego had a couple really steep climbs....REALLY! There was a hill I'd hit if I took a round about ride to work that was 28.6%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I don't know the grade, but the road to my house is just a smidge under 2 miles with an 800' elevation change. The grade is pretty constant - I tried it once on my HT (with road tires - it's the closest thing I have to a road bike). I wasn't in the greatest shape at the time and managed to do about 1/2 mile. If I were to try it during the summer when I was in better shape, I could probably do about 1 mile or half the hill. Someday I'll get there...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
"Super Tioga" - hw 99 north of Pemberton, BC. 13 or 15km of 15%. i wish i still had the info from my HRM.

Tioga Pass, 9mi of 11%

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
jacksonpt said:
I don't know the grade, but the road to my house is just a smidge under 2 miles with an 800' elevation change. The grade is pretty constant - I tried it once on my HT (with road tires - it's the closest thing I have to a road bike). I wasn't in the greatest shape at the time and managed to do about 1/2 mile. If I were to try it during the summer when I was in better shape, I could probably do about 1 mile or half the hill. Someday I'll get there...

2miles = 10,000ft (about)

800/10,000 = 8/100 = 8%

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
-BB- said:
2miles = 10,000ft (about)

800/10,000 = 8/100 = 8%
Ok, next time keep that crap to yourself. After seeing what some of you are riding, I feel like a wuss wimping out on a measley 8% grade.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
There are a few good steep and long hills here in Toronto, I don't know what grade, there are a few in my area(the beaches), not to long but very steep. When I am bored I like to pick a hill ride down as fast as I can, turn around and pedal up it as hard as I can and repeat until I cant handle it any more. On my commute to school there is a long descent at the start, which is nice. In the mornings I usually don't really feel like riding up a hill, especially with the mountain bike I am riding for the winter months. But I'm a climber, body type and all, I actually perfer a slight incline rather than a flat road.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
"Super Tioga" - hw 99 north of Pemberton, BC. 13 or 15km of 15%. i wish i still had the info from my HRM.

Tioga Pass, 9mi of 11%
It doesn't count in your truck. :D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
jacksonpt said:
Ok, next time keep that crap to yourself. After seeing what some of you are riding, I feel like a wuss wimping out on a measley 8% grade.

:confused: so you guys have climbs steeper than the tour??

Q. How are the various climbing categories defined for the Tour de France?

A. The categories are assigned subjectively based on:

length of the climb
altitude difference from bottom to top
average (and steepest) grade
summit elevation
climb's position on the stage (early or late)
width and conditions of the road

After considering all these factors, the Tour's director sportif makes his recommendations after driving over the stage routes a couple of months before the race. Also, the Tour is supposed to be TOUGH, so what might be a Cat 2 climb in Le Tour might be a Cat 1 in another race.

Typically for the Tour, Category 4 is an easy, short climb.
Category 3 is the easiest "real" climb - ie, 5km at a 5% grade.
Category 2 is about as tough as you could ever see here in the states. (Something like 5km at a grade of 8-8.5%)
Category 1 typically a long climb (15 - 20+ km) at a not too steep grade - 5-6%.
Hors Category is long and steep. The altitude difference is at least 1000km and an average grade of 7% or more.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Heidi said:
San Diego had a couple really steep climbs....REALLY! There was a hill I'd hit if I took a round about ride to work that was 28.6%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, who ever made that road is just cruel! It's a road climb, not a freaking quarter pipe.....but damn, that's hardcore.

Ya, similar to what Chris said I prefer something with a slight uphill to riding flats. Of course this is mostly because my singlespeed doesn't keep up on the flats very well....spinning at 120 for extended periods sucks.

I'm going to have to find some steeper climbs, see how bad it can get.

The Ito

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I dunno what the grade is, but honeyrun is a nice climb. It goes from 50ft to 1800. there are some steepass climbs that I have yet to do here. Just wait till the snow melts.......

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I posted this in another thread, but it probably belongs here. The best climb around here is Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mountains in Northern Washington. Starting with your back wheel in the ocean in Port Angeles, you don't quit until you reach the alpine meadows of the ski area exactly one mile of elevation and 17 road miles later. That only averages 6%, but there are a lot of false flats early on. It has some really kicked up sections, especially the last 2 miles. We've had some incredible no-prisoners-taken battles on that one.

We also have about a 3 mile climb here that has long sections of 23.5%. It's all you can do to keep the pedals going and not spin out or die. 39x26 just isn't enough. but it's all I have.

Gambo

Monkey
Gibraltar road in santa barbara .The ride is not very long, just under 30 miles. But it has a full 4660 feet of climbing! The Gibraltar climb from Mountain Road to La Cumbre Peak (elevation 3840 ft) is 8.9 miles long and averages 7.0%. Luckily there are a couple of places where it evens out. Most of the climbing averaged 8.0% and peaked at about 12.0%. The road conditions are marginal on Gibraltar and worse on Painted Cave and Old San Marcos Pass Roads. The descent down Painted Cave hit 21% on the switchbacks this is one of my favs.

But the hardest is Figueroa Mountain rd. in Santa Barbara back country. It will take all of you got and more. Check out what this guy thinks about it. http://www.uspsprocycling.com/featurefile/rv_2004jan28.htm The Discovery team is there now thay are staying 15 min. from my house training. :cool:

After I descended that mountain the second time I literally turned around and shook my fist at it. These climbs take on a personality. When you feel good and your just ticking up the mountain, you see the climb as a friend, someone who is helping you. When your legs are smashed from the grade and you body aches from white knuckling the decent you want to kick that climb in the butt.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Gambo said:
Gibraltar road in santa barbara .The ride is not very long, just under 30 miles. But it has a full 4660 feet of climbing! The Gibraltar climb from Mountain Road to La Cumbre Peak (elevation 3840 ft) is 8.9 miles long and averages 7.0%. Luckily there are a couple of places where it evens out. Most of the climbing averaged 8.0% and peaked at about 12.0%. The road conditions are marginal on Gibraltar and worse on Painted Cave and Old San Marcos Pass Roads. The descent down Painted Cave hit 21% on the switchbacks this is one of my favs. http://www.uspsprocycling.com/featurefile/rv_2004jan26.htm

But the hardest is Figueroa Mountain rd. in Santa Barbara back country. It will take all of you got and more. Check out what this guy thinks about it. http://www.uspsprocycling.com/featurefile/rv_2004jan28.htm The Discovery team is there now thay are staying 15 min. from my house training. :cool:

After I descended that mountain the second time I literally turned around and shook my fist at it. These climbs take on a personality. When you feel good and your just ticking up the mountain, you see the climb as a friend, someone who is helping you. When your legs are smashed from the grade and you body aches from white knuckling the decent you want to kick that climb in the butt.
Gibraltar Road....haven't ridden it on my "road" bike, but it was a wicked climb the few times I did it on my mountain bike. Nothing easier than a 44x28 and 36 pounds is a lot to hump up that hill.

I definitely want to do some of the other hills in SB when I get back there, sounds like they get intense. Time to start putting more miles on my Karate monkey so I can keep up.

The Ito

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
i dont know the grage of this one road we generally climb, its called sky line, and by the end of it, 6 mile climb maybe more i forget the #'s but u feel like your face is rubbing the front wheel, your heart maybe your arms are gonna explode witch ever gives out first. completely killer for what im used to

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
Last year I went for my first real road ride on the Kangamagus highway in New Hampshire...It's a 10 mile climb to the highest point on the highway from Loon Mountain, starting at 9% for 7 miles, and ending with a lovely 12% for 3, needless to say i was in the small ring on my triple, and second to largest cog in the back for 2 miles, it was hell but I did it!!! Then I hit 46 mph on the way back down!

Mar 16, 2004
Santa Maria
I have to agree with Gambo that Figueroa and Gibraltar are by far the two of themost gnarliest and EPIC :thumb: rides that I have ever done. When I did it I bonked :drool: hardcore on the climp up on Gibgraltar but was relieved that this nice family had some beer water (from an ice chest with empty beer cans thrown in it) for me to rejuvinate on for the way down which is equally as gnarly as the way up. Both epic ride that change your idea of what tought is.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Not that I would have ridden it, but the Angliru climb in the 2002 Vuelta De Espana, is considered to be the hardest climb in Europe. The reason why I remember is the winner of the stage and the Vuelta that year, Heras, used a triple!!! How many pro riders do you know used a triple crankset in a race

Taken from cyclingnews.com

The Angliru is back! This fearsome climb, first used in the 1999 Vuelta, has been the bane of many riders. 12.9 kilometres long at an average of 9.6%, the Alto de l'Angliru gets much steeper at the halfway point. A maximum gradient of 23.6% will see riders fitting some very large sprockets on their rear wheels.

P.S. They also raced that day in the pouring rain. Fun, eh?

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
43# DH rig up a 550'vertical ski run -1 mile. I usually do this twice, then head up to my house..another 300 vert' in a 1/2 mile.
There was a stretch on the Bicycle Tour of Colorado this year on Day 1 that was short, but brutal....the ride over Trailridge Road on day 2 was pretty silly. I think it was something like 5000' vert to almost 13,000'.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Heidi said:
Hey Heidi, that wouldn't happen to be Via Capri, one of the ascents going up to the top of Mt. Soledad would it? It starts from the UCSD/Torrey Pines north side of the base and is pretty much a mile long wall of pain.