Quantcast

Stepping up a notch

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
This past winter I trained quite a bit. I was hitting the weights at the gym 3 times per week and did a lot of interval training on the road bike. My results don't lie, and all that training is paying off. I'm not ridding as sketchy as I used to be and got some good results already.

I sat down with Riffle (Duncan) at Mount Saint Anne and we discuessed quite a bit about training, and dieting, and the kid had some good insight.

I'm gonna follow his advice and step up a notch on my training. I'm gonna invest some money on a Hyperbaric Chamber, so I can improve my recovery.
I found this one: http://www.hyperbaric-oxygen-chamber.com, seems like a killer deal, but I wanted to see if anyone knows anything about them. Do you guys know how easy it is to use one? And if it really helps in your recovery from extensive training?

Sorry for posting this here, I know I should post this at the fitness forum, but nobody actually visits that thing...

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
Fronj turned full factory corporate or what?

just messing around---Thats awesome you've stepped it up, im sure now that you have the support you deserve, youre staying on top of your game.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Metal said:
This past winter I trained quite a bit. I was hitting the weights at the gym 3 times per week and did a lot of interval training on the road bike. My results don't lie, and all that training is paying off. I'm not ridding as sketchy as I used to be and got some good results already.

I sat down with Riffle (Duncan) at Mount Saint Anne and we discuessed quite a bit about training, and dieting, and the kid had some good insight.

I'm gonna follow his advice and step up a notch on my training. I'm gonna invest some money on a Hyperbaric Chamber, so I can improve my recovery.
I found this one: http://www.hyperbaric-oxygen-chamber.com, seems like a killer deal, but I wanted to see if anyone knows anything about them. Do you guys know how easy it is to use one? And if it really helps in your recovery from extensive training?

Sorry for posting this here, I know I should post this at the fitness forum, but nobody actually visits that thing...
The only guy I know personally that uses one is a pro roadie... Freddy Rodriguez. He said that a lot of the pro road guys use them.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Surely even a lot of top xc riders and a i would of thought most world cup dh riders dont use these? I may be wrong.

Training can only help you to be quicker though and i suppose any advantage you can give yourself to make your training more effective is a good thing, not a little ott though? Couldnt the money be spent on a personal trainer or similar?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Cant Climb said:
Don't they simulate living at high altitude......?.......

if its actually used as a hyperbaric chamber, then it would simulate living under the sea. then again you could probably use it to live in a lower pressure environment too.

the F.H.B

Monkey
Jun 2, 2006
Syd, Australia
there are so many things you can do to aid recovery before you even need to think about one of those! Start with using compression garments to aid recovery after training, ice baths as well.
I mean a chamber would be nice but really its SO far down the list of training essentials i'd look at spending the money elsewhere.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have one and its great. Shaved off a couple of seconds so I should be able to start wining my beginner class. Next step I must remove hair on back for less drag.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Metal said:

If you live at or near sea level the thing won't help much! For recovery concentrate on getting adequate protein and carbohydrate replacement immediately following training/ racing. The chamber can be useful in high altitude situations, but DH performance has more to do with substrate depletion and energy systems utilized maximally through weight training, riding and dieting.

R

Rabie

I think that instead of getting a hyperbaric chamber, you should get a sensory-deprivation tank. And instead of using it for recovery, you should do drugs in it.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Transcend said:
Seems to me like someone has gotten a hold of sanjay's login info...
I agree.

Haha, Interval training and hitting the gym in the winter?? He was in a cast for most of the winter...that didn't stop him from going out to the desert with us and drinking waaay too much, 909 style!

I would agree though, he has improved his riding style. I can actually follow his lines now!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Rabie said:
I think that instead of getting a hyperbaric chamber, you should get a sensory-deprivation tank. And instead of using it for recovery, you should do drugs in it.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Oh man I could totally use that thing to pick up on chicks!

"Hey, wanna go back to my place and accelerate your recovery in my hyperbaric chamber?"

The awesomest part is that it would automatically prevent the drunken-fat-chick-hookup! It's like a sobriety test.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
You should try swimming. Do something like 20 laps warmup, 20 laps where you sprint 1, easy 2, sprint 1, easy 2 etc. 20 laps breast, 20 laps back, 20 laps kick only, 20 laps pull only, 20 laps cool down. Takes maybe a little more than an hour, do it 3 times a week & I bet your lung capacity would improve greatly. Plus it's non-impact.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
crazy timecube hippy people said:
Earth is composed of opposite hemispheres
which rotate in opposite directions
That theory is likely to hold up against empirical evidence. :think:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Brazilian downhiller said:
mtnbrider said:
Sanjay stepping it up on a bike? That is definately not him. He is too busy training on his carpet to even to what a bike is.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAJI, HAJI!
Don't forget his 3rd world brotha in the picture, Baloochi. One of the best camel riders ever!
On the ending Quote tag, add a /. like [/QUOTE] instead of
. Then it will have a quote box.