Quantcast

Steve and Bill on the same stage..... at the same time!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Apple, Inc., CEO Steve Jobs and Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates, the seminal figures in the development of the personal computer, will make a rare joint appearance at The Wall Street Journal's "D: All Things Digital" conference this year. The two men will jointly discuss the history and future of the digital revolution in an unrehearsed, unscripted, onstage conversation on May 30 with D co-producers Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher.
now THIS should make for a very interesting conference!

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
I'll be looking forward to it just because it should be great fodder to see the two of them in the same room

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
What was the name of that movie again ? Yess, I got it now: Pirates of Sillicon Valley (1999). They don't really seem to like each other during that movie. I don't really like BG neither, but maybe a bit more after he releases a UB version of office...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Yeah, no joke on the UB of office!

It should be an interesting thing seeing them both speak 'unscripted.' I'm so used to seeing them just read a teleprompter, I want to see if they can think on their feet!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I get Word documents all of the time from clients. I just import the text into a real page layout program without ever opening Word. I don't hear people bitching about it, but I don't know many people who actually have to use Office.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Openoffice is free and opens/edits MS Office documents - works on Windows and OSX.
Open Office is MOSTLY compatible with MS documents. A Majority of my work deals with Word and PowerPoint and it does not always come out right. I'm not willing to take that chance.

Also, under OSX Open Office runs under X11, which sucks, and most users don't even know what it is.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Installing X11 isn't that hard and it is called Open Office. Wait for the new version, Edit Office :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
All Open Office requires is that its installed, the end-user doesn't have to know anything about it or interact with it in any way.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I run Office 2004 and its fine. It just makes my super duper fast intel mac seem like a 10 year old Performa IIE!
Sounds like somebody didn't do their homework and is angry at the world. Complaining about MS office support for Mac OS is like being upset that you can't find a bolt on turbo charger for your Daewoo.

You get super flower points for a computer that looks like it belongs in a clean room scene from a '80s sci-fi film at the expense of compatibility with a handfull of otherwise universal applications.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
You get super flower points for a computer that looks like it belongs in a clean room scene from a '80s sci-fi film at the expense of compatibility with a handfull of otherwise universal applications.

........And does graphics editing, sound editing, and has a stable OS. But yeah, besides that, it sucks :blah:

I'm not complaining about it, like I said I have no problems running it, its just a bit slow under Rosetta.

I actually think that Office Mac is a great way for M$ to take back the market shares they are losing to all of the newer, "cooler" macs. If they didn't offer Office Mac, then many people would not have a Mac, or at least have to boot into M$'s OS on the mac to run office.

There are all sorts of programs that are "mostly compatible" but when it comes to 100% compatibility, unfortunantly it has to be Office. (Although, its not REALLY 100%, I've had some stuff not work cross platform, mostly in PP presentations.)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
........And does graphics editing, sound editing, and has a stable OS. But yeah, besides that, it sucks :blah:

I'm not complaining about it, like I said I have no problems running it, its just a bit slow under Rosetta.

I actually think that Office Mac is a great way for M$ to take back the market shares they are losing to all of the newer, "cooler" macs. If they didn't offer Office Mac, then many people would not have a Mac, or at least have to boot into M$'s OS on the mac to run office.

There are all sorts of programs that are "mostly compatible" but when it comes to 100% compatibility, unfortunately it has to be Office. (Although, its not REALLY 100%, I've had some stuff not work cross platform, mostly in PP presentations.)
I never said your Mac sucks, I just said it's pointless to complain about it, you should have been informed about the trade offs when you decided to buy a Mac. You get "graphics editing, sound editing, and a stable OS" but, you just can't run a couple of programs without sacrificing something like speed. Why should MS be obligated to produce software for the Mac platform when it's not likely they will see a return on the investment for several years versus producing software for windows that will make the company money within the first month. Again, there's not a big enough market for people who want to turbocharge a Daewoo, I'm sure there's someone out there somewhere who wants to rice out their Daewoo, but there's not enough demand to make it financially feasible for me to start building them in my garage let a lone mass producing them.