Quantcast

Stevens Pass winter DH ??

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
You can put screws in them, but unless you're running tubeless, it's tough to keep the head of the screws from popping the tube. Plus with the race being in April, I don't think the screws will do a whole lot of good, depends on the day though. It can be below freezing until 10-11AM, so morning runs the screws might be nice. But by afternoon it's good 'ol spring corn.

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
why not just take a old tire and put some screws in them eh?
The screws looked cool, but seeing them in action wasn't impressive, worse than a normal tire, they picked up and held on to clumps of ice/snow and flung it all over the place.

Big fat tires, that's the way to go (and maybe a front fender, being in April and all..... )

Tonic

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
Seattle, WA
At least you stay warm in the bunny suit!

The tire set-up = mud tires or something with spikes and large side lugs. Maxxis Swampthings are one option. Another option, as Mr. Grubworks mentioned, is Nokian Gnazzi's. I saw a bunch of folks using the Nokian's last year.

DH bike is the way to go. The extra weight of the big bike keeps your momentum rolling.

sad panda

Monkey
May 5, 2005
It's posted on the Steven's Pass site that the race will be held on Jan. 7th.
Biker Royale presented by Clif Bar, probably same setup as last year, that's all I got from the site.
After the race last year they were saying that they were going to be trying to do two a year, but that sounded mostly like wishful thinking at the time.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
sweet and right after christmas too so Ill have all my new parts on and have money to buy tires and stuff...they guy I emailed told me in April, so maybe he talked to someone about doing another one. I told him alot of people were stoked about it and want to go and that 2 a year would be nice...who knows.

Also, I personally wouldnt use screws...because just incase you fall, your Fckd up. If I deside to hit a jump *who knows...* I dont want to land so hard i get a screw up my azz.

lol
yeah well when it gets closer, we'll have to figure out whos going so we can all say hello :-)

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
oh hey...i just looked on the site, and he must have switched it from April 7th to January 7th.

Its the same guy I talked to too...sweet.

Dan89

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
my ass
no one showed up with snow bikes last year but if some did show up it would defiantly not work out because last year we had to pedal off the start..... so yea...

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
no one showed up with snow bikes last year but if some did show up it would defiantly not work out because last year we had to pedal off the start..... so yea...
yes i know. it was a mad sprint. BUT i think i might be able to sprint just as fast on my feet pushing it then hop on (thats how you get going)

perhaps a whole seporate category? i see people post up on this board all the time about snow bikes but never see anything come of it.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I bet that if you got enough people in the same class they could make arrangments for you, if you warn them ahead of time.

just shoot them an email...technically they ARE bikes.

all they require is a helmet

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
http://www.stevenspass.com/events/detail.aspx?id=125

The registration forms are up!

Im in the 15 and under class...haha I doubt many people will be in it with me.

easy competition I guess.
Dont hold your breath on the easy competition. Me and my crew of kona-ryders wont be taking any prisoners.:monkeydance:.

Damn though, $45 to register. Will they let us ride the mountain all day, or is that just for a few runs? What about prizes? They better have milk and cookies, or I'll be pissed.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
oh damn...haha i didnt know so many people were 15 or under...hmm well ill see you guys up there.

look for the bighit with the red atomlab handle bars :-)

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
....yeah, $45 is kinda steep. If I remember from last year, it was only around $30..... that makes for an expensive trip from Hood River. Last year you didnt even get an event t-shirt. Nice prices for winning, but thought there would be some more event goodies.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Im just happy i get to go...it will be my first race on a bike.

:-D
plus, I ride the ski bus on saturdays...so my mom will take me up and take pics of the race and stuff, then she takes my bike home...and I stay and ski till 7 :-D

sad panda

Monkey
May 5, 2005
there would be some more event goodies.
Uhhh...
As I remember last year they gave away a whole box of shirts and crap at awards. One of my buddies got a helmet, and another got a brand new Kona Cowan frame that Das Rad House donated.
Thats on top of trophies for top finishers.

Edit: Did pro men get cash too?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I will be!!! probably bring the 4x bike and the DH bike, see what works out better. Depends on if I have the 4x frame built or not... I need to get on that!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Im excited too...Im telling all my friends about it so they can watch. I cant wait to see peoples faces when they see bikes on brookes...haha.

I know I would be surprized if I didnt know about the race.

W00t, I wouldnt mind winning a prize :-D

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
haha yeah it will be pretty fun...im pumped for it. I dont expect to win...but you cant beat going down stevens pass on a bike...thats rare. :-D

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Question is, are you going to be there?!?!?:monkeydance:
With bells on Darl'in:monkeydance: If bibs would let me borrow his pink tu tu I might look like one of the hippo's from Fantasia coming down the slope on a bicycle. Bad visual.

Cosmic is going also!!!!:busted:

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
He is trying to justify buying a stab. He maybe doing Hood and Whistler next year. I don't know if the DH scene is ready for Cosmic and Gimmy with a G the wonder dog.:crazy:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
He is trying to justify buying a stab. He maybe doing Hood and Whistler next year. I don't know if the DH scene is ready for Cosmic and Gimmy with a G the wonder dog.:crazy:
Did he put a 29 on that Stab? Maybe next year we'll be able to keep up with him at the Tree Farm, if he's on the Stab:monkey: