Quantcast

Stewart Area NY--airport expansion news

I am passing this info on from another MTB forum for anyone interested.

From NY Post article

STEWART EYED AS 4TH PA AIRPORT
By JEREMY OLSHAN Transit Reporter
November 17, 2006 -- Desperate for a new airport, the Port Authority is going to take a close look at Stewart Airport in upstate Newburgh, officials said yesterday.

Because Newark, Kennedy, and La Guardia airports are expected to soon be jammed to capacity, the agency is considering purchasing or helping to develop a fourth airport.

After considering a series of smaller airports around the region, the agency settled on Stewart, which is 70 miles from midtown and is currently for sale.

"We're not going to allow any opportunity to expand that capacity go by," Chairman Anthony Coscia said.

Over the next 90 days the authority will consider a variety of options, from purchasing the remainder of the airport's 99-year lease to working with the new Stewart owners to help alleviate the traffic at the big three airports.

"Giving the Port Authority an opportunity to run Stewart Airport could be a win-win for all New Yorkers," Sen. Charles Schumer said.

Located on a former Air Force base on state-owned land larger than Newark and La Guardia airports combined, Stewart services 400,000 passengers a year.

It has the potential to one day handle as many as 10 million passengers a year, said William DeCota, the Port Authority's aviation director.:disgust:
In the site below you could support an acre, buy a pin etc. to support the coalition to keep the land open. I do not belong to the coalition below, I have made a donation to help. If you want more information on the issue, visit the website below.:clue:

Send them a donation to help with their legal costs in defending the preservation of the forest and surrounding airport buffer zone:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~sparc/

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
They better not touch any of the singletrack! I'll lay naked in front of the bulldozer again.
It would need to be a pretty BIG airport expansion to touch the single track.It shouldn't touch anything good.

Plus there is a road between Stewart and the Single track that they just put a huge interchange off of 84 to get to, so they wouldn't have done all that work to just go and rip up the road.