Quantcast

Sticky pedals for urban abuse?

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
Whats the weapon of choice for everyone out there riding urban, I just destroyed my gussets after only about 2 months of urban riding and need some tough replacements. These will be subjected to some sketchy pedal grinds, stalls and bails to asphalt/concrete. I'd also like to keep the price reasonably low, so probably around $40 or less?

Thanks

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
spend 12 bucks on some twisted PC's and see if they do the trick. mosh pedals with sealed bearings can be had for under $30 and feel really good. if you spend money on a pair of non plastic pedals, and do pedal grinds, then get some grind plates for them off danscomp or wherever.

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
yeah the odyssey jim c pedals rock for under 100 bucks. im running atomlabs now and i dont think i would buy anything else

Aug 13, 2007
nh
kona Jack ****s or crank brothers 5050x or speedplay dirilliums the speed plays are alittle pricy but are wicked good

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
Yeah I was looking at teh PCs but I dunno about the grip. I was thinking about getting a guy I know to just fab up grindplates, well see. Btw lots of sealed pedals can be had for under $100, check danscomp. Those mosh pedals lok solid.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
mosh sealed - cheap - ftw! I had a set for years, totally indestructable and light to boot.

when I suggested the dx peds I didn't see that you were grinding on them. definitely not a good choice. my bad.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
dude just check out the pedal section of Dans comp. There are A LOT of tough sealed bearing pedals for under $60.00. Check out the Animal Hamilton's. I pedal grinded the hell out of mine for 5 or 6 months. If you do a ton of pedal tricks check out the Riff Raff's. I never tried them, but they look like the will hold up just fine.
http://www.danscomp.com/465069.php?cat=PARTS
Yea I was looking at the animals, those riff raffs are awesome though, I hadn't seen those. Yea I've been checking mostly danscomp for pedals, I actuall like alot of em, 'specially the shadow conspiracy ones, maybe thats just bc shadow conspiracy is trendy though, heh.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I'm a huge fan of the Jim C's. I have run a lot of pedals and done a lot of pedal grinds. My Atomlabs wore down fast, which when you drop $100 for a set of pedals its not that cool. The Jim C's are sticky (or less if you remove pins) and very thick so you can grind on them a lot and not have them wear through. I would also suggest you spring for the sealed version. Maybe you will spend $55-60 but they won't rattle around like loose ball versions (and I am speaking from history of working in a shop and seeing that on cheap bikes, not necessarily the Jim C's, they might be fine, I just always have bought the sealed). I am still riding a pair from 3 years ago and they are awesome.

Mikey_C

Chimp
Jul 19, 2007
I'm a huge fan of the Jim C's. I have run a lot of pedals and done a lot of pedal grinds. My Atomlabs wore down fast, which when you drop $100 for a set of pedals its not that cool. The Jim C's are sticky (or less if you remove pins) and very thick so you can grind on them a lot and not have them wear through. I would also suggest you spring for the sealed version. Maybe you will spend $55-60 but they won't rattle around like loose ball versions (and I am speaking from history of working in a shop and seeing that on cheap bikes, not necessarily the Jim C's, they might be fine, I just always have bought the sealed). I am still riding a pair from 3 years ago and they are awesome.
huge fan of j c's have the same pair on 4 different bikes, still roll smooth(bmx park bike and FR bikes) i used to recommend them to customer..the bmx guys are harder to convince cuz they lack the trendiness of animal/shadow/flys.

ive seen a ton of animals blow up, the sealed versions.

atomlabs have that c-clip issue, every pair i have seen develop play

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
I just checked 'em out, those jim c's look really nice, sounds like the verdict is its worth the extra $30 for the sealed verson? Also I assume you guys are talking about the aluminum version and not the mag ones.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
If you're gonna do a lot of pedal grinds and what not you'll be wearing your pins down every few months. Few more weeks after that you'll probably wanna ditch em for new ones. I'm a big fan of the Primo Tenderizers which are strong and cheap at 20bucks. And going sealed is a waste of money if you'll be replacing them often.

Mikey_C

Chimp
Jul 19, 2007
If you're gonna do a lot of pedal grinds and what not you'll be wearing your pins down every few months. Few more weeks after that you'll probably wanna ditch em for new ones.
thats why they have replaceable pins..so they wear down and u replace them so u dont need new pedals just more pins(jc's come with 2 sets)
I'm a big fan of the Primo Tenderizers which are strong and cheap at 20bucks. And going sealed is a waste of money if you'll be replacing them often.
sealed are smoother and will last longer...

al vs mag just a matter of weight and $ is the weight savings worth the cost..that for u to decide.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
If you're gonna do a lot of pedal grinds and what not you'll be wearing your pins down every few months. Few more weeks after that you'll probably wanna ditch em for new ones. I'm a big fan of the Primo Tenderizers which are strong and cheap at 20bucks. And going sealed is a waste of money if you'll be replacing them often.
I only grind on one side of the pedal and take the pins on that side out before I start.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I usually try to just grind on one side of my pedal as well, but I still keep a few pins in them (like I have 2 in the front). If your doing concrete ledges then they will wear faster (I usually stick to parks and marble, but thats up to you).

And Magnesium is light but I have heard that friction and Magnesium is a bad thing. Lots of sparks, softer metal, burning feet and worn out pedals. I suggest AL, plus you'll save a bunch on the price.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Wellgo LU953s can be had for under $20/pair. They are grippy as hell and you can file the cages to make them sharper or smoother. When you destroy them, you can easily afford to replace them.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Wellgo LU953s can be had for under $20/pair. They are grippy as hell and you can file the cages to make them sharper or smoother. When you destroy them, you can easily afford to replace them.

Those might be super sweet for trail use, but they wouldn't last a minute on street or in parks. I used to ride Crupi squares when I first started racing BMX. Those things were awesome for grip and coming from a clipped-in back ground I liked them. As I have gotten better at riding flats I have found I want something much more solid and much less cruel to my shins. Don't get me wrong, if you like them, more power to ya, I just don't think thats what our boi is after.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Odyssey twisted plastic. Super cheap, grip very well and extremely light. Like 9 bucks. Even if you went through a set every two months in a year you would only spend 54 bucks!

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!1

You want pedal grinds, long pins, and a really well formed pedal...

New JimC's are the shiz. I love mine, the tread on my circas is near death, litterally bald in a few spots, but these pedals give my shoes a bit more life. The JimC's have been known for their strength as well, non sealed go for around 40 i think?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I just got a set of twisted PCs b/c my wellgos took a sh!t (I'm going to rebuild them with better bearings eventually b/c they're still awesome peds). Really impressed with the PCs. Definitely grind friendly at $11 a pair!

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
you can get nyc freeride lenosky signature pedals then the lenosky pedal grind plates

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Why because Aluminum / or Magnesium is so strong?
Let me put it this way... do you ride plastic cranks? What about bars?

I'm saying that there are 4-5 key things on a bike that if they fail, its usually catastrophic and could cause a lota lota pain. Pedals being one of those... I don't feel like finding out if a plastic pedal will hold my weight dropping steps/riding hard....

But hey, thats just me. Many people use them with great successsss.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Let me put it this way... do you ride plastic cranks? What about bars?

I'm saying that there are 4-5 key things on a bike that if they fail, its usually catastrophic and could cause a lota lota pain. Pedals being one of those... I don't feel like finding out if a plastic pedal will hold my weight dropping steps/riding hard....

But hey, thats just me. Many people use them with great successsss.
200 lbs will be fine.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
yeah i get you but the axle isn't plastic.

go w/ your gut. if you're weary, don't run em.

i dont think lenosky rides for them anymore