Quantcast

Stony Pump Track ground breaking

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
The MMBA has been working with Stony Creek Metro park in Michigan for a few years now on trying to get a Freeride Skills Area. Just over the Winter we got our Stunt drawings arciticually approved by an engineer. Since then we had to go thru a little politics, but today we moved our first dirt. Dan and myself meet up with the Dave and Rhule (Stony Creek maintenance).

The plan was to get all the dirt moved for the entire pump track, and a few features that are going to be in the actual stunt trail. We meet up at 8 am and quickly got to work.

Here is the first dirt moved around 8:30 am.

Here we are an hour or so later, moving along very nicely.

A view from the other direction, looking from the vehicles.

Dan and Rhule (I hope I'm spelling his name correctly)

I'm happy

So we wrapped up the pump track area a lot faster than I had expected. Then we moved over to a couple other spots to dump dirt for berms and jumps in the trail. We finished up with that right at noon. So Dan and I ran up to Little Ceasers for a $5 pizza re-fueling :D

Once we finished with lunch we took to the hand tools and started to put a basic shape in a section of the track.

We decided to call it a day after shaping the one section. But we did go around and flatten out all the hills a little bit.

Here's a panoramic of the pump track.

And a shot of the area from my truck leaving.

Here is the concept drawing for this area. Minor changes in the pumps, but overall still the same.

So overall it was a great day. We are planning to have a Trail Day Sept. 22/23, I just need to run it past Mike M. The trail day will include a few hours of dirt moving and shaping. I think we should get it all done in one day, then just a few days of mother nature to help set everything up.

So if anyone from Michigan is reading this, send me a PM and I'll let you know about our trail days. Or head over to MMBA.org