Quantcast

storing tools

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
so i need to store my tools for over 12 months... it sux yes, but the military is too tight to transport them back home with me while the missus goes to korea for 12 months :(

i got the park ak 32 tool kit, plus lodsa other sh1t.... can anyone recommend some kinda prep for the tools before they go into storage ? i don t want them to be rusty and reamed when i get em out next time... i was thinking a liberal coating with CRC or wd40 and then stuffing a couple of oily rags in the box...

i ve already had offers by friends to look after the kit, thanks but no thanks... this puppy is goin into storage...

any advice appreciated...

later

partsbara

This may be a little overboard, but you might try putting them in plastic bags with lots of oil wiped on them. When I was in the military I got issued a tool box that was brand spankin' new and each tool was all oiled up and sealed in it's own plastic bag. Sometimes the Snap-on guy sells me tools like that, too. It's an awful lot of trouble, though.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by edoz
This may be a little overboard, but you might try putting them in plastic bags with lots of oil wiped on them. When I was in the military I got issued a tool box that was brand spankin' new and each tool was all oiled up and sealed in it's own plastic bag. Sometimes the Snap-on guy sells me tools like that, too. It's an awful lot of trouble, though.
Yeah but replacing a bunch of bitchin Park tools is a WAY bigger pain!

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
I have doen this a couple of times when I was in the Military and living by the ocean (salt air). I took double baggeed with some heftys, then poured about two cups of 90 wt gear oil in the bags. Then I put about ten to fifteen lbs of tools in, released as much air as I could tied them off and stored. They kept for nine mounth this way. Big tools like by bench grinder just got WD and a plastic wrap. Clean up was a snap, I bought (had on hand actually) two gallons of carb/parts cleaner in gallon cans (avail at most auto part stores) dumped them in a rubbermaid tub and set the oily tools in there. Some dish gloves and rags and my tools came out like used. The only reason I like 90 wt oil is that it is thick and won't slide off the tools if its hot, or if they somehow get a little wet (you never know) and it is so cheap. Good luck and enjoy Korea. BTW, keeep an eye out for tools over there on the black market, many are made there anyway and you can pick some hella deals.