Quantcast

street/park frames

N

nbrocks

ok well, im looking around for a new frame, i do mostly street riding, not much jumping and i go to some skate parks occasionally, im looking for a frame that is 24" specific (unless you can talk me out of it) i saw the dobermann pinscher but its 26/24", but I cant seem to find anything thats anything like those frames around that price range that is 24"... also i have seen "the moon" by 24 cycles but havnt been able to find them in any shops and dont know a thing about them, but they look good, and i would be interested in a nemesis project street fighter if i could get one for about $500-$600 area, again, i dont know for sure how much they are. so help me out what do you think would be good for me thanks

N

nbrocks

can you run disc brakes on the union street ones? i know you cant on the fall guy

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
No, not on the Molly. It's 990 only.

Also be sure to check out the Nemesis Project DeathMobile at www.nemesisproject.com It's 24", V-brake, 110mm 14mm hub, Spanish BB, etc. w/ custom paint for $500.

I'm in the same boat as you. What I've gathered is the Tonic and the Molly are the closest to a BMX you can get without it being a BMX. They're steep, short, and low. The Molly is a bit longer in the front, and is 990 brake only.

The Nemesis is super low, and like the other two it's BMX rear hub. It's V-brake only. It's a bit taller in the seat tube for a more MTB feel.

IMO discs are weak for street. You smack 'em on ledges and they're expensive and unreliable compared to V-brakes. Most street 24" bikes will be V-brake.

If you're set on discs, check out the Nemesis Project Secret Agent. It's more MTB than the others; it's disc-only, has a derailleur hanger, and is of course 135mm spaced, again for $500.

Another (cheap) option is to get a complete Specialized P. Street and sell the fork, to get a lighter one. You can pick 'em up for about $400 right now from your local dealer because Specialized is blowing 'em out. Definately not as cool as the other bikes, but has similar features (BMX rear hub, V-brake only, Euro BB, street-ish geo, 24" specific).

At this point I'm leaning towards a Molly or a DeathMobile as I need a slightly bigger bike than the Fall Guy. All 5 of the bikes I mentioned would be solid.

FYI the Dobermann can be run w/ 26", 24/26", or 24" wheels.

Another option would be an Evil Sovereign or DOC w/ 24" wheels. It'd ride nice with the short stays and low BB, as the BB was too high IMO on my DOC w/ 26" wheels. It's disc-only if you actually want that for some reason. The DOC is $450, the Sovereign a few Franklins more.

Hope that helps, and let me know what you decide.

One question, how tall are you?

N

nbrocks

im pretty small, 5'6"...about the discs, i just bought a new set of bb7's and it would be a shame and a pain to get rid of them, so id like a dic brake frame, and you said that the p-streets were like 404$??? i was talking to the lbs and they said that they were 1125$, i was a little blown away by thatbut im thinking that 400 is a little low, but if you know a shop that has 'em for 400 let me know cuz i could just get it and have 2 bikes, and about the nemesis project frames where do you buy them, directly from them? also i have 2005 fox vanilla r130, and when i decide on a frame i'll probably want to lower it, so do you know how to do that too or do you think i should just buy a new one or would it be fine like that?

N

nbrocks

and im looking for something that i could just pretty much move my parts on the 125 to the new frame without buying any new things (hubs or bb's) so would all my stuff fit on the nemesis project, cuz for 500$ thats pretty good and that was with the custom paint or was that a different bike

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hey, you should go for the Nemesis Project Secret Agent. Discs, 135mm wheels, and it has a Euro or Spanish BB depending on your preference.

I don't know what the specs are on your bike, but if it's got an 1 1/8" HS, a Euro BB, and regular hubs which it most likely does you can run the SA.

You order direct from the website, and you can get pretty much any color you want for free. All for $500. It's on of the more MTB-style 24" street bikes, which it sounds like you want.

I heard somewhere on RM the P. Street was that much now, but it was probably wrong. Your local shop blows, FYI. That's a crazy price, blowout or not. My shop sells 'em at low-retail pricing for $999.

On the Secret Agent I'd lower you Vanilla to 80mm of travel, it'd be perfect that way.

It seems the Nemesis SA would be ideal for you, but if it were me I'd go for something BMX. All preference. Just sayin'.

Here's a pic of some Secret Agents (the polished is a bit more money than paint FYI):

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
By the way, PM Mr Tiles. He's selling that polished frame, I think. He got a Molly instead for more BMX-ish stuff.

N

nbrocks

do you know how to lower a vanilla fork? or who would do it?
pm me or somethin

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Cut the spring and install a spacer so the fork can't rebound all the way.

And another pic of a sweet Secret Agent.

N

nbrocks

yeah i was looking up pics of them, they are nice, i think ill probably go with one of them, im gonna wait till the end of the season before i do though

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Bicyclist and Ninja posted all the info you need as far as what brands to look at first (and to purchase from IMO).

Your first post mentioned you ride mostly street and want 24" wheels. If you are doing a lot of street riding I'd re-think the disc brakes. I know it can be done but I think the rim brake route is better, w/ 990's being my fav.

Also, maybe go w/ a different fork - something 20mm. The Manitou Jumpers or the Marz conversions from Nemesis work really well - the USB guys run pegs on the Manitous - so that's a nice option. The Fox is a nice fork but I would worry about it lasting riding street. Or go w/ a steel rigid if pure street is your game.

If you want a good, durable, cheap(er) street ride - I'd say sell the parts you have and build it up right the first time. USB, Tonic, or a Nemesis should be able to get built complete for $1500. Using some BMX parts (rear hubs, cranks, can keep the cost down for sure.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Thanks for the plug Bicyclist - I sold the nemesis a few days ago. It went fast, I knew it would b/c it is a primo frame.

I got the USB because it is a little more bmx. I'm riding a lot of park now and it's was the way I was evolving toward - bmx that is. Running 990s in place of disc at first bothered me, but now I really like the 990s. The modulation is awesome for manualling, i.e. when you feather the brake, it doesn't slam the front end down like my old bb7s. I know you can get disc brakes to modulate but I still like the 990s better for what I'm doing.

The good thing is there are some really good frames to choose from and they all have their niche uses, the differences are really minor though.

N

nbrocks

well i just bought some new 24 inch s-type wheels and some new avid bb7's in the last month and i dont really want to sell the bike and just buy all new things... but what would you recomend for rims that you can run rim brakes on and what kind of hubs, ill check around for some prices but if i do anything like that i would start in the winter or late fall when im done riding so i can have it ready for the spring, right now iv got the 2005 125 pretty stock other then the fox vanilla fork, the new wheels, new brake set with levers, if i could sell it for the same price a new build would be id do that, but i dont think i could get 1500 for it, so yeah wheel and brake recomendations?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
rhyno lite XLs are good if you are smooth rider. I recommend profiles for hubs. They make pretty much any hub configuration you'd need. Spendy but worth it in my opinion.

N

nbrocks

well i just realized if i go with the secret agent it is just disc brake, no v-brakes, and i e-mailed brad and he said that the secret agent was $700, thats a bit more then the $500, and its another 100$ for the custom paint... so im not sure, but it seemed like that was what i wanted, a more mtb style street bike. so anyone have cheaper ideas possibly?

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
I myself am building up a street bike/dj bike and I was thinking Evil Doc with 24's and hayes hfx 9's also get both a 26 and 24in front wheel so i can ride some of the rougher trails while I am at it. Pretty standard build, any ideas with the 24 26 in thing? also lwith a dj2 or 3

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, a DOC is too slack with the same size wheels. If you did 26 front 24 rear it'd ride so slack.

For a street rig for tech stuff look elsewhere, great DJ/4x bike though.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, trust me. I rode one on street for a while. It's not very good at it, even with a really low fork like I had and a great street build (ss, rear brake only, BMX-ish). It was way too slow. It felt at home on mellow lips and non-tech tricks.

I think it'd be a blast on a 4x course. Maybe not the best race bike but my point was it's at home on mtb jumps and terrain, not street/BMX stuff.

Go for it if you want but that's my .02.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
consider a DMR rythem, thats what i use... it is going to feel more like a mountain bike than any of the other bikes that were suggested, but it has disc tabs and regular spacing.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i ride street. i went from a DOC to a Tonic Fall Guy. best move ever - i'm loving it. DOC is waaay long + way slack in the front. once you ride something as sharp and crisp as a Tonic (and i'd imagine Union), you will never go back.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
You CAN run disk brakes on the P. Street. You have to get an adapter for the rear, but the fork is disk brake capable, atleast I think that's what the disk mount looking things on the fork are for. I think you may have to replace the hubs (or whatever the disk attaches to) to run disk brakes, but I'm not sure. Of course, adding disk brakes will only increase the weight, and it's already one of the heaviest hardtails out there. If you can find one, get one of the identiti frames. They make some awesome frames for $300-$400.

mikeG

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
Menlo Park, CA
Take a look at the Black Market Riot ( i think that is the name of the less expensive frame). I personally ride a MOB and love it. I DJ more than anything but I do ride street about twice a week and I have been happy with it.

Good Luck

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
A Union-Street is $500-- custom paint will just get scratched off.. sell your discs and you can fund a rear wheel.
Our custom powder coat is guaranteed for a full year against scratching , it doesn't "scratch off " if your powder does your vendor is ripping you off by not prepping the metal surface correctly .

My personal bike has been looking perfect for well over a year people still ask me if it's new .

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i got my frame powdercoated a little over a year ago. its been scratched up but not to the raw metal. a good powdercoat should scuff not scratch off to bare metal.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
stoked said:
I got my frame powdercoated a little over a year ago. its been scratched up but not to the raw metal. a good powdercoat should scuff not scratch off to bare metal.
There is a test to check the hardness of powder coat , you should be able to dent the material and NOT have the powder flake off !
Metal prep is the most important step in a lasting powder coat finish.

We polish ALL the pieces to our frames before welding , this gives the weld cleanest surface possible for better penitration and weld purity ,most other builders dont take the time to polish off the coating on their straight guage tubes ,not to mention POLISH every piece !

This give the frame a nice smoooth base , then they get blasted with a very fine medium ( NOT sand of garent ! ) this also makes a big differnce in why our frames always seem to have a mettalic look to them .
The True-Temper OX platiunum / Supertherm tube sets we use for the front triangle take on a almost reflective look once blasted with this very fine medium .

The one thing I hear from ALL our frame customers is that their new NEMESIS PROJECT frame is smooth all over .. their last bike wasent smooth anyplace .
I have also hard this about the overall ride feel of my frames people swear by them , so much so that this year we have been bust muilding more frames for repete customers than new ones .
Quite a few customers who bought a StreetFighter last year , placed orders for Secrect Agent's and DeathMobiles this year !

Heck we even have 4 people waiting for our new MTX bike ... which has no set relese date :happydance:

Who paints your bikes?
We use one of the best powder coat vendors in the business
MAAS brothers powder coating , they paint frames for Steelman , Ventana and Arlin NESS motercyles .

Most of the colors you see on our bikes ...
Glow in the dark green , Dried Blood , Million Orange , Corvette Sumer Red etc are all custom mixed colors that MAAS will NOT paint for anyone else , so if you wnet in aand said I saw this color I saw on a Nemesis Project bike on this frame can you do this for me , They wont !

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Steelman, now those are some cool CX bikes!

Sounds like a great painter, I'd definately like to see some work.

p1ridrnc42

Chimp
Aug 11, 2006
ive got a pretty good recomindation....ive got a P street for sale...really cheep....gives you a good starting point for street and dirt....only $375....put some marguras(have no clue how to spell the name) there friggen strong brakes that will mount on the bike instead of a disc....ive heard of a lot of problems when it comes to disc brakes and street...look into it...let me know i need to sell this thing

p1ridrnc42

Chimp
Aug 11, 2006
dobermanns are sick...i ride street with a guy who just built one...he loves it...really solid, smooth bike

N

nbrocks

ok, thanks for all the input guys, i think im looking at either a dobermann or a black market mob...one last thing, say i were to get with v-brakes, what are some good ones, the only non disk brakes iv had have been pretty bad, so yeah thats the main reason im a little cautious about it

N

nbrocks

oh, and first of all does any one know if you can even run v-brakes on a sun mtx rim?