Quantcast

striping paint

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
Hey everyone,
I am looking to repaint my frame and was wondering if I could just use sand paper to take of the paint or if I had to use a paint thinner/remover. The frame is aluminum.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
I just stripped two aluminum frames. On one, I used some auto stripper in an aerosol can, then power washed. (All bushings, BB, headset removed) Did this a few times to get all the paint. It left no swirls, nice clean frame. I actually clear coated this frame. The second, I sanded the frame, but noticed the smallest of textured swirls under the paint, probably from using a rough paper and not going finer as the paint got sanded. No biggie, but not perfect.
In retrospect, I would use the stripper w/ power wash, prime and paint, then ride it like its stolen (and if it is - you're gonna wreck your ass!)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Use a chemical stripper. You can buy them at the local tru-valu and there is no need for a power washer. Purchase the correct one depending on how many layers of paint said frame has.

T

The Misfit

Remove anything that isn't frame.

Gel type chemical paint removers are probably your best bet as they will stick to all surfaces and don't run off. Be sure to allow the stripper to have the recommended time to do its job, usually hours. A second application may be needed. Don't smoke...

After stripping use an ultra-fine grit sandpaper to remove any leftovers and then use mineral spirits to remove all traces of the chemical primer followed by a good cleaning with soap and hot water. Don't touch the aluminum with bare hands after cleaning. Put the frame in a safe, dry place for 24 hours to allow drying.

T

The Misfit

Priming:
Apply two coats of the most expensive high quality oil based primer you can find. This primer creates a barrier between the oxidized aluminum and the finish paint.

Painting:
Your finish coat should consist of a 100 percent acrylic enamel exterior paint or a polyurethane. Buy the most expensive paint you can find. It usually contains the highest volume of acrylic paint resin. A higher volume of resin translates into a longer lasting paint job. Follow the paint manufacturers instructions for application and multiple coatings. Several light coats lead to a better paint job than a couple of heavy coats, take your time.

Don't use latex paint, just about every latex paint, including primer, contains ammonia. When ammonia comes into contact with oxidized aluminum it creates a gas. This gas can cause small bubbles to form beneath the paint film. This creates poor adhesion which in turn leads to premature paint failure.

The key to getting a lasting and quality paint job is the surface preparation.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
The Misfit said:
Remove anything that isn't frame.

Gel type chemical paint removers are probably your best bet as they will stick to all surfaces and don't run off. Be sure to allow the stripper to have the recommended time to do its job, usually hours. A second application may be needed. Don't smoke...

After stripping use an ultra-fine grit sandpaper to remove any leftovers and then use mineral spirits to remove all traces of the chemical primer followed by a good cleaning with soap and hot water. Don't touch the aluminum with bare hands after cleaning. Put the frame in a safe, dry place for 24 hours to allow drying.
"Exterior"? "Latex"? Are you talking about using house paint on a bike frame? :rolleyes:

After you strip the frame take it to a powdercoating shop. If you're real nice, and you talk to the right guy, you should be able to get the frame powdercoated for less than $30. Just ask them what color they are spraying and if they're not to busy, maybe they could take a minute and do your frame at the same time. Don't ask for a special color, be open to what they offer. Most places are spraying black often.

You could do the same thing at a place that anodizes too. Just be sure there's no steel inserts or parts attatched to the frame.

You could skip the stripping by sandblasting the frame. Be careful of the bolt holes, pivot holes, inner headtube, and bb.

It's easy to spend $50 at the hardware store on supplies, why bother?

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
Is it the Imperial? If so the paint has always been the weak spot on the evil frames. I'd recommend going to the powder coater and get it professionally done it will be worth it in the long run. How's the frame treating you?

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Don't mess with chemical strippers or sanding. Have it blasted. USUALLY the price for powdercoating includes stripping as well. Its part of the prep process.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If it is a new expensive frame like a kona you have to take it to a liscenced kona stripper/painter to avoid voiding the warranty.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Potroast88 said:
Don't mess with chemical strippers or sanding. Have it blasted. USUALLY the price for powdercoating includes stripping as well. Its part of the prep process.
Please DO NOT Blast your frame. That will aid in structural fatigue.

Use Bix, its a water based stripper. I used it on my 7075 Al proflex.

Have fun.