Quantcast

Stripping out of my Boxxers

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
The 4 axle bolts at the bottom of my Boxxer forks are all but stripped out(I have one left). I am assuming I need these, how should I go about fixing it? My first thought was to just tap it out to the next size and use a larger bolt; any problems with doing this? Is this a common problem? TIA

... and since this is my first post, I'll add a bunch of Smilies for good measure :( ;) :cool: :confused: :monkey: :angry: :devil: :dead: :o: :( :) :devil: :devil: :dead: :monkey: :rolleyes: :cool:

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
If possible, use a helicoil insert. The result will be stronger than the original. I had good luck replacing some stripped threads on a White Brothers fork crown this way.:)

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Ok.. now I'm wondering if I should just tap it to the next size up, which seems easier and cheaper. Or should I do the helicoil which seems stronger.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Grimey
Ok.. now I'm wondering if I should just tap it to the next size up, which seems easier and cheaper. Or should I do the helicoil which seems stronger.
Basically the same thing, but helicoiling allows you to use your old small bolts, which insures clearance for the bolt heads.

I would helicoil.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
you can use both methods there should be no prob, im sure this time around youll know how easy it is to strip the threads an you wont have the same problem again.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
They were stripped when I got the fork. Well, I did strip one...:rolleyes:

So, I want a 4m x 9m helicoil?