Quantcast

Stuck Boxxer stealth maxle

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I have seen plenty of threads about stuck maxles but way less lately. I have probably been hamfisted?

My locking nut is stucked. It doesn't move at all, even when I increase the lever to 60cm (about 25"). I bent my allen key trying to undo the locking nut...

The fork is pretty new, 2020 Ultimate and I even removed the front wheel 30 minutes ago...

Any suggestions?

Picture of the axle
RockShox-Maxle-Downhill-MTB-Boost-Front-Thru-Axle-black-20-x-110-mm-158-0-mm-70619-259582-155...jpeg

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Aerokroil, canokroil, or pb blaster. Or automatic trans fluid if you've got nothing else.

Heat it with a heat gun, gently now....
Or even your ol lady's hair dryer.. that won't hurt anything,
Tighten and loosen
Sometimes a soft drift punch and a good whack with a hammer from the top of the fasteners head helps unlock the threads as well.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Thanks guys!

We went slightly all in with my buddy, who also owns a portable lathe, by the way... :brows:
IMG_20200811_220216_989.jpg

This was after trying an impact wrench which did absolutly nothing and after using a 1m lever which rounded the hex imprint of the axle.

Anyhow, I am good for buying a new axle even if the bigger part of this one is still usable.
20200811_202701.jpg

And yes, I will use more grease this time! :D

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Thanks guys!

We went slightly all in with my buddy, who also owns a portable lathe, by the way... :brows: View attachment 148572

This was after trying an impact wrench which did absolutly nothing and after using a 1m lever which rounded the hex imprint of the axle.

Anyhow, I am good for buying a new axle even if the bigger part of this one is still usable.
View attachment 148573

And yes, I will use more grease this time! :D
I personally prefer antisieze for threaded components

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Get an axle with a captive steel washer, like this one, instead of the Maxle.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
also clearly your buddy is an analog milling machine not a lathe! he would have to spin the workpiece (bike) against the tool in order to be a lathe :pirate:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Word. That little steel washer makes a whole world of difference.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
It doesn't seem to exist for 20mm axle...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
The only time I had to go to the eye doc was after I ported a set of iron heads. So much iron shavings, safety glasses didn't cover it had material all over my forehead, arms and chest. I got a sliver in the eye just from falling in or I may have even wiped it in...
SUCKED.....
I've had similar stuff kind of go away but it was killing me when I'd blink the next day. I had to go to the doc..
What a relief to get that shit out.
Aluminum is usually big chips that don't have the aero to travel far and fast they fall before they get any meaningful distance from the machines. Steel and iron, make evil little burning missiles, travel so much further due to the density.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
True that!
I once got something in my eye although I wore safety glasses :pilot:
Yeah I was the same, was putting a roofing screw in and a little chip went straight over my glasses and hit the eye.
Dr didn't get it all out so I got two rounds of dye and poking, afterwards I went out and bought some blind person sunglasses as the slightest breeze on my eye would have tears zooming down my face.
Went to an optician earlier in the year and they asked about the little scar, I'd never had an eye test since I was a kid, it is properly impressive nowadays.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Yeah I was the same, was putting a roofing screw in and a little chip went straight over my glasses and hit the eye.
Dr didn't get it all out so I got two rounds of dye and poking, afterwards I went out and bought some blind person sunglasses as the slightest breeze on my eye would have tears zooming down my face.
Went to an optician earlier in the year and they asked about the little scar, I'd never had an eye test since I was a kid, it is properly impressive nowadays.
Y'all need to get some grease and a torque wrench ;)
That's not an 80 count, it's 8 @ the collet end. ☕