Quantcast

Suck It Up Princess!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This toasts me. What do people think the Marines do for a living??? Freaking idiot!

By KIM CURTIS, Associated Press Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. - With his sister carrying his duffel bag and his mother holding his hand, a 20-year-old Marine reservist surrendered to the military Tuesday and declared himself a conscientious objector.

Wearing camouflage fatigues, Lance Cpl. Stephen Funk turned himself in at the locked gates of the Marine Corps reserve center where he was assigned, weeks after refusing to report when called up to active duty.

"Ultimately, it's my fault for joining in the first place," said Funk, who didn't show up when his unit was deployed to Camp Pendleton. "It wasn't as well thought out as it should've been. It was about me being depressed and wanting direction in life."

Funk said he's attended every major San Francisco Bay area anti-war rally since finishing his military training last fall. He insisted his decision had nothing to do with the war in Iraq (news - web sites).

Those applying for a conscientious discharge must submit a detailed letter explaining how their feelings have changed since joining the military. Then there are interviews with a military chaplain, a psychiatrist and an investigating officer. The final decision is made by top military commanders.

Applications for conscientious discharges always increase during wartime. There were 111 granted during the 1991 Gulf War (news - web sites). Only 28 were granted last year, military officials said.

"The Marine Corps understands there are service members opposed to the war," said Capt. Patrick O'Rourke, spokesman for Funk's unit, adding that he hadn't received Funk's application yet. "He'll be treated fairly."

Funk, who grew up in Washington state, enlisted when he was 19 and living on his own for the first time. He said he caved in to pressure from a recruiter who capitalized on his vulnerability.

"They don't really advertise that they kill people," Funk said. "I didn't really realize the full implications of what I was doing and what it really meant to be in the service as a reservist."

Funk said he began doubting his fitness for military service during basic training last spring when he felt uncomfortable singing cadence calls that described violence and screaming "Kill, kill, kill."

Funk's father, Robert Funk, enlisted in the Navy reserves and was called up to active duty in 1970 to serve in Vietnam. He said he wishes his son hadn't joined in the first place.

"I don't think he realized how close we were to getting involved in this conflict," Robert Funk said from his home in Everson, Wash. "I thought his views didn't line up with military service and he should wait and really look at it."

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Well I can't argue that. :monkey:

I still think he should have been smart enough not to enlist if he wasn't clear about the mission of the Marines. :rolleyes:
How smart were you when you were 19 SM? Actually probably better if you don't answer that question;) :D .
Don't worry though seems like there's plenty of people on RM who'll be "dying" to take his place.:D :p

Longarm500

Chimp
Mar 25, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
This toasts me. What do people think the Marines do for a living??? Freaking idiot!

"They don't really advertise that they kill people," Funk said. "I didn't really realize the full implications of what I was doing and what it really meant to be in the service as a reservist."

This kid is obviously an idiot or a liar!! Either that or the education system has failed him.....imagine going through history classes and not knowing that the military kills people....they just all died of a myocardial infarction in WWII and Vietnam....really? Oh my gosh! How is that possible???

Screw that.....send his anal orifice to a new fort.....Leavenworth!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
It is more than a little bit surreal though.

I went in with open eyes knowing that I could be deployed to combat but did I ever think that it would actually happen. Not really.

Even when the company commander gave us the news, I didn't really believe it. It wasn't until he put the piece of paper in my hand that it sunk in. But even when I saw the deployment order for Saudi Arabia, all I could think of was Jim Brown in the Dirty Dozen. One of the best running backs ever and he couldn't even make it out alive was the thought, how in the devil am I going to make it.

Didn't get anyone or myself killed and didn't get lost. So not bad for a lieutenant but I was still scared $hitless the entire time. But never so bad as when I saw it in ink.

He might not really be an objector (just too scared) but I can promise you don't really know until you see it in ink.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I remember sitting across the desk from a marine recruiter back when I was about 18-19. For those of you who have done this, you know it's hard as h=ll to say no. They just grind on you until you give in. I'm sure it works most of the time.

Took me probably about 3-4 times of not committing before I had the balls to tell him flat out, "NO" and stand by it through his debating and pressure.

In the long run, I'm glad I did. I thought as DRB mentioned that I might go to war, but it's the late 80's. That won't happen.

At least this guy did his protest here and honestly is trying to get out and not over there by throwing a grenade or something.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
"They don't really advertise that they kill people,"
They may not advertise it but it is pretty damn obvious. Marine recruiters can be extremely agressive, in high school I had one call me or knock on my door several times a week for months. But you have to be a complete idiot to sign your life away for 4 years and not do a little research. This guy is either stupid or just chicken sh1t.

Don't they have jobs specifically for objectors? He could have been licking toilets clean instead of going AWOL.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by Westy
They may not advertise it but it is pretty damn obvious. Marine recruiters can be extremely agressive, in high school I had one call me or knock on my door several times a week for months. But you have to be a complete idiot to sign your life away for 4 years and not do a little research. This guy is either stupid or just chicken sh1t.

Don't they have jobs specifically for objectors? He could have been licking toilets clean instead of going AWOL.
Have you ever gotten a deployment order for a combat zone?

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
wow, the sentiments expressed here sound a lot like how i'd imagine the Iraqi military to be run. basically, "even if you made a mistake, you don't have a choice, you have to get out there and kill." aren't we allegedly fighting for freedom? the freedom to choose one's own destiny is very important, in my opinion. he made a bad decision, none of you have ever done such a thing?

i support the troops, but bring them home before anyone else is killed.

ben.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
If he "made a mistake" then have him refund all our tax dollars spent on his training/education.

Once that is done he is free to move to the GayBay and participate in the vomit-in of his choice.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
The difference is that Hussein is conscripting people under threat of death or threatening to kill their families. This little pansy signed up under his own free will and is now attempting to back out of the commitment he made to serve. He was fine with the concept of "being a Marine" when it was paying his bills, tuition, and getting him laid. But now the time has come to stop playing Marine and be one.

IMO the Corps should give him a BCD and let him try to find a job with that on his record.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Damn True
He was fine with the concept of "being a Marine" when it was paying his bills, tuition, and getting him laid. But now the time has come to stop playing Marine and be one.
I came pretty close to joining OTC or going to one of the academies when I was in highschool. Lots of pressure from my guidance counselor, friends joining the forces, desire for structure discipline and fraternity, as well as my own pride in my country. I considered the possibility of war, but my 17-year-old mind only thought of it as something that would be "good for me." Mortality (their own or that of others) is an abstract that all youths have trouble conceptualizing.

If it weren't for my family taking me aside and explaining that I might be asked to fight a war I didn't believe in and kill others I was told were my "enemy," I would most likely be in the middle east right now. They explained to me that their are ways to serve my country, possibly to a much greater extent, without handing away my free will. Not everyone has a family that's either that close, or willing to put forth that kind of effort. In retrospect, joining would have been a terrible choice for me, and I may well have ended up in this kids shoes.

I'm not sure how old this kid was when he enlisted, and I agree that he shouldn't have joined to begin with, but I question those of you that are high and mighty enough to believe you knew what it meant to sign away your life when you were his age.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by ohio
I came pretty close to joining OTC or going to one of the academies when I was in highschool. Lots of pressure from my guidance counselor, friends joining the forces, desire for structure discipline and fraternity, as well as my own pride in my country. I considered the possibility of war, but my 17-year-old mind only thought of it as something that would be "good for me." Mortality (their own or that of others) is an abstract that all youths have trouble conceptualizing.

If it weren't for my family taking me aside and explaining that I might be asked to fight a war I didn't believe in and kill others I was told were my "enemy," I would most likely be in the middle east right now. They explained to me that their are ways to serve my country, possibly to a much greater extent, without handing away my free will. Not everyone has a family that's either that close, or willing to put forth that kind of effort. In retrospect, joining would have been a terrible choice for me, and I may well have ended up in this kids shoes.

I'm not sure how old this kid was when he enlisted, and I agree that he shouldn't have joined to begin with, but I question those of you that are high and mighty enough to believe you knew what it meant to sign away your life when you were his age.
Oh PLEASE!!!

This shurker has a MUCH MUCH MUCH greater chance of choking to death on a piece of Kentuckey Fried Chicken than actually getting hurt/killed in combat...

But if he made a mistake... all I ask is that he refund the taxpayers money spent to train him.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001

I knew EXACTLY what I was getting into when I joined the Coast Guard at 19. I have a step-father who is a Marine, an uncle who was a submariner, my Grandfather flew in the 25th BG in WWII, and my step-fathers best friend spent 20 years in the USCG. I made my choice because I wanted to spend my time training for and actively saving lives in Search and Rescue, aid's to navigation, and drug interdiction. I understood that in times of war the CG falls under the command of the CNO and as an aviator I would most likely be re-assigned to a USAF or USN combat SAR unit as many of the senior officers who I worked with had during Viet-Nam. Furthermore I understood that there were clear and present risks associated with my job and that it was my duty to place the lives of others ahead of my own life.
I understood that the missions of the Coast Guard would and did many times require me to enter into countries in which we were not "welcome" for drug interdiction. I willingly accepted these missions and others including tow assignments to Persian Gulf deployments.

This guy is a disgrace to his family, his country, and to the uniform of the United States Marines.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Millions of men and women made the same commitment he did - the difference is that the vast majority stand up to their promise. You cannot expect to sign up for military service, get trained and educated and then walk away when the going gets tough.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Don’t have much sympathy for this guy. The difference between being a soldier and a mercenary is soldiers don’t pick their battles, they commit from day one.

An aside, and a little thread drift - as long as we are concerned about commitments between our government and our individual troops. Our government has a problem living up to their obligations to the vets. The wait for new patients at the Boise Veterans Hospital is over a year long. The response to gulf war syndrome has been pathetically lacking. We’ve got some bills to pay that are long overdue.

We can bash on this guy, and rightfully so, but let’s not forget the guys the V.A. and Congress has left high and dry.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Millions of men and women made the same commitment he did - the difference is that the vast majority stand up to their promise.
Is it possible that some of them stand up to their promise only because of the intense pressure and criticism they would face if they actually followed up on their anti-war beliefs and quit? Do you think what this kid is going through right now is so easy?

I won't claim to respect the choices that he's made, but I'll try to understand them.

As for DT's comment that he's an embarrassment to his family... seems odd that his embarassed mother is there beside him, and his embarrassed veteran father went on record supporting his decision...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

IMO the Corps should give him a BCD and let him try to find a job with that on his record.
Why should they give him a very nice carbon fiber downhill bike?:p

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by N8

But if he made a mistake... all I ask is that he refund the taxpayers money spent to train him.

He's the one who deserves a refund... That "KILL KILL KILL" stuff didn't work on him.

I'm totally private joker. Until I get hit in the gut and start crying.

Who does the research and background work for the military? Analyzing other countries' militaries and strategy and intel......Can you join to do that sort of stuff?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Is it possible that some of them stand up to their promise only because of the intense pressure and criticism they would face if they actually followed up on their anti-war beliefs and quit? Do you think what this kid is going through right now is so easy?
I have no problem with anti-war beliefs but I would find them suspect in situaltions like these. How can you go through bootcamp, especially Marine bootcamp, and not realize what you are being trained for. Living up to your obligations and dealing with the choices you make is life. Bummer if he changed his mind and saw the anti-war light. You cannot go through life being a mama's boy - eventually you have to be a man and live up to your obligations. Military service is not about personal freedom.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
BCD= Bad Conduct Discharge
It is a dishonorable discgarge and cannot be removed from your military service record or upgraded. If one recieves a General or General under dishonorable conditions on can appeal to the VA for an upgrade though they are rarely granted.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by patconnole
He's the one who deserves a refund... That "KILL KILL KILL" stuff didn't work on him.
Then he shoulda puss-ed out in boot camp before the the Taxpayer shelled out too much money on him.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Once again,

Im going to side with Damn True. This twerp signed a legal document, a contract that said he'd serve his country for four years. He broke not only the law, but the simple code of Honor, Courage and Commitment that binds Marines.
He should be brought up on charges of insubordination for attending peace rallies and undermining the decisions of his commander. He should be brought up on charges of Unauthorized absence for not reporting, he should be charged with conduct unbecoming of a Marine. He should recieve a bad conduct discharge, and stay in Ft. Leavenworth until the current conflict is over with and maybe longer. We are at war, and if everyone got the idea that they could just say they were a consciencious objector because they;re too afraid to fight and honor their name, it would cause problems for the military. These problems we dont need.
Im sickened that this sleez bag graduated from Marine basic training, and i hope they make an example of him.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by patconnole

I'm totally private joker. Until I get hit in the gut and start crying.

You totally have no idea.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The whole conscientous objector thing just doesn't work as well for me in a volunteer army. It makes sense in a draft, but not right now.

On the other hand, if you don't know what the armed services do when you sign up, you're too stupid to be given a rifle. As far as I know, you can drop out at boot camp, can't you?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The problem is the little bastard probably was collecting some Montgomery GI Bill bucks too...

Maybe he only wanted to serve in the Peace Time Marines.

Puss

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
He'll be damn lucky if he dosen't wind up charged with sedition in addition to being awol.

The media are painting him as "couragous" for standing up for what he believes in. There is a 19 year old girl with two broken legs, a bullet hole in her belly and most likely 12 days of sexual abuse who can tell him what real courage is. She joined to get bucks for college. She was called to serve. She did so proudly, valiantly and with great honor. She is ten times the man he is.

I want to break that little pansies kneecaps. Contientous objector my ass. He is a coward.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
...and most likely 12 days of sexual abuse...
Now DT you know this is pure speculation and sensationalism on your part. Is demonizing the enemy still official gov'ment policy? Just the facts ma'am, just the facts. I think they stand on their own.

EDIT: :thumb: on your other observations though. :monkey:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

The media are painting him as "couragous"
I hadn't seen the media coverage yet. I was assuming he was getting a berating. If that's not the case then I withdraw my comments. The only way his objecting would represent any conviction in my mind given the ill-timing of his decision is if he was being attacked from all sides and he still stood by. If they're rolling out the red carpet for him, that's a shame.

Like I said before, I can understand stupidity without having any respect for it, i.e. joining without thinking through... I'll add that quitting when the going gets tough doesn't fall under stupidity, it falls under cowardice.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Well, I certainly hope that isn't the case. However the female helo pilot that was shot down in Gulf War v1 was raped daily. I can only imagine what this poor girl endured.
DT - I think you may be confused on Rhonda Cornums sexual assault - one event - groping. Despicable and a war crime it wasn't daily rape.

Her Story in Time

I am happy that this soldier will be back with her family.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I hadn't seen the media coverage yet. I was assuming he was getting a berating. If that's not the case then I withdraw my comments. The only way his objecting would represent any conviction in my mind given the ill-timing of his decision is if he was being attacked from all sides and he still stood by. If they're rolling out the red carpet for him, that's a shame.
What I got from the news on TV was that the 'poor little boy' signed up education and opportunity and not war. had he known that he might be called upon to help fight a war he would have never enlisted. The recruiters pulled a fast one on him and took advantage of his kindly and trusting nature... blah, blah, blah...

That is why I was toasted - In my eyes he is not standing up for what he believes in so much as trying to get out of a serious personal obligation. It is wrong to use the military for personal gain and then shirk your obligation.