Quantcast

Suck It Up Princess!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio
Educate me, brother.

I learn from my mistakes, so fill me in on where I went wrong...
You made a derogatory statement toward a situation about which you obviously know nothing. Learn from it.

There's a book out about all of the Medal of Honor recipients and their stories. I highly recommend you take a bit of your time and browse through the anecdotes of 19 year old boys jumping on grenades to save their friends lives, or running through mine fields to try and help an already dead comrade under a hail of gunfire.
No, it may not look as cute as posing with some third world children, but it takes alot more guts, pride and intestinal fortitude.
If you had any idea, you wouldnt laugh.Link to the Book

Edit: added link

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Learn from it.
Uh, isn't that exactly what I said I would like to do?

"...obviously know nothing" hmmmm... why is it obvious? why do you necessarily know more about it than I do? Because you read a book? Because you have a uniform? Have you ever thrown yourself on a grenade?

By your logic, I could easily turn your statement around and say "what do you know about posing with 3rd world children?"
They happen to be my students... and I never said it was better, I just said it was different and it was the way I chose to serve. Have you ever been a 20-year-old father to 30-some orphans that live in their own sh!t, because there's no one there to tell them not to? OOOhhhhhh, well then you obviously know nothing about it.... *sarcasm*

Like I said, I wasn't laughing at the service, I was laughing at the DESCRIPTION...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Uh, isn't that exactly what I said I would like to do?

"...obviously know nothing" hmmmm... why is it obvious? why do you necessarily know more about it than I do? Because you read a book? Because you have a uniform? Have you ever thrown yourself on a grenade?

By your logic, I could easily turn your statement around and say "what do you know about posing with 3rd world children?"
They happen to be my students... and I never said it was better, I just said it was different and it was the way I chose to serve. Have you ever been a 20-year-old father to 30-some orphans that live in their own sh!t, because there's no one there to tell them not to? OOOhhhhhh, well then you obviously know nothing about it.... *sarcasm*

Like I said, I wasn't laughing at the service, I was laughing at the DESCRIPTION...
I dont want to get into a "who's more cultured argument," because i dont really care, but yeah, ive spent some time with 3rd world children. And i know Marines who have died in the line of duty. I dont myself have to die to see evidence of greatness amongst my ranks. Laugh all you want, but the fact that i wear a uniform and you dont makes all the difference in the world. Laugh on friend. Go laugh at Jessica Lynch's family while you're at it.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
And i know Marines who have died in the line of duty.
Do you want a medal? I'd be suprised if we didn't all know someone who has served and died...

Go laugh at Jessica Lynch's family while you're at it.
There seems to be a reading comprehension problem here...

Once again, I am NOT mocking the service, I'm mocking the rhetoric. Now I understand that you helped write a lot of it, but don't get your camo panties in a wad... I'm not belittling your fellow grunts. I'm belittling the awkward self-importance. Many people have served their countries and humanity in many different capacities... I don't see the need to start a pissing match to prove whether or not a uniform makes one version better than the other.

ok ok

you two stop pissing on each other

as a neutral here, i see you are essentialy both saying the same thing and missing each others point.

i see that ohio is saying that he was poking fun of the religon of the rehtoric, not the spirit of the service

i see burly saying that to be in a mind set to with out hesitation be ready to give your life or be maimed for life to protect your team and your country is the spirit of what he is saying

you both agree, but one is wearing berkenstocks and the other camo boxers and pissing on each other while both wanting to clarify your respective points.

for what my opion is worth, i think you both get it. walk away.

and burly thanks on the link, i will read it. :)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by BarbaRosa
walk away.
I can't help it, sorry. I get way too much pleasure out of getting him all riled. I should know better...

Also, I don't wear birkenstocks. My sandals were handmade, custom to my feet, by an 85-year-old homeless man working out of a wooden box on the streets of Capri. (you think I'm joking....;))

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I can't help it, sorry. I get way too much pleasure out of getting him all riled. I should know better...

Also, I don't wear birkenstocks. My sandals were handmade, custom to my feet, by an 85-year-old homeless man working out of a wooden box on the streets of Capri. (you think I'm joking....;))
I bet you wear Capri pants too.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I bet you wear Capri pants too.
Actually...

my standard summer wear is a pair of cargos cut off below the knee... great for riding and they cover up all the old skating and biking scars on my knees (insert oral sex joke here).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

The scary thing is... I know you are not joking! :eek: :eek: :eek:

BTW My Birkinstocks were custom made to my feet by some well paid German matrons with homes and health insurance to the tune of $140.00. Oops... of topic!