Quantcast

Sugar or wolf, downhill open?

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
does anyone know about the trails at sugar or wolf and are they open yet for downhillers, are the trails any good, and how tolerent are they of bikers , do they let us on the lifts, any info would be great thanks.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sugar always opens around June or so. Yes, they run the lifts, or should I say, the little hamsters run their wheel which eventually gets you to the top of Sugar. I once read through War and Peace before I got to the top.
As far as the trails that all depends on who you ask. Most of the faster racers love it. Once you find you flow on their trails they are a blast to ride fast. But if your style is more of a watcha me HUCK it 4 life bro. Then you will hate it.
As far as Wolfe, we can only ride their on race weekends, and hopefully there will be one.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
stubby said:
does anyone know about the trails at sugar or wolf and are they open yet for downhillers, are the trails any good, and how tolerent are they of bikers , do they let us on the lifts, any info would be great thanks.
Great trail with very little threat of mole-station.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Jeremy R said:
Yes, they run the lifts, or should I say, the little hamsters run their wheel which eventually gets you to the top of Sugar. I once read through War and Peace before I got to the top.
Banche and Stoneysnake love that lift. :D I think it was 2 years ago but they drove down to Sugar had to sleep in the car and only got 1 practice run in because the lift is so slow. Ask them about it sometime.

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
If your lucky you could get a shuttle to the top in a car/truck which only takes about 10min compared to 30. Thats the best way to do it!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
CharlieM said:
If your lucky you could get a shuttle to the top in a car/truck which only takes about 10min compared to 30. Thats the best way to do it!
and in the process get us all banned from the mountain by the property owner's association that owns that private complex you cut through to do so.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
profro said:
I think he's talking about Sugar. Its it possible to do that at Sugar without breaking the rules?
Yeah Sugar. nope..those condos at the top are private property...you know...that sign everyone ignores asthey drive right by it that says "Private Property: Guests Only"

As for Wolf...if you set foot in there and try to shuttle without me being with you...you better be bullet proof. They ain't got no tolerance fer them there tresspassers buoh! :)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
bizutch said:
Yeah Sugar. nope..those condos at the top are private property...you know...that sign everyone ignores asthey drive right by it that says "Private Property: Guests Only"
Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs,
F%*&^#' up the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign!?

Who gives a turd.
You are not supposed to go 56 in a 55 either.
If those 90 year olds will not let me hop out of the back of a truck and ride out of their parking lot, then they can kiss my azz, and wash out the taste with some Ensure. :thumb:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy R said:

Who gives a turd.
If those 90 year olds will not let me hop out of the back of a truck and ride out of their parking lot, then they can kiss my azz, and wash out the taste with some Ensure. :thumb:
Sweet! :p

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Jeremy R said:

Who gives a turd.
might you take the time to think of that lovely conversation you and I had with Gunter that day in the parking lot when he advised us:
"We've been so kind as to allow you access to our mountain via our lifts when we really don't make any money out of it...only out of a love for bikes. If you continue to do this, we would be forced to ban you from the mountain. Thank you."
not an exact quote but the direct point of the conversation...I didn't take it too seriously at the time..but after spending some time getting him to allow me to cut trail on the mountain... I'm going to be concerned with posting a shuttle online for every tom, dick and Cecil to go breaking the rule that I and a select few are privilige to.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bizutch said:
might you take the time to think of that lovely conversation you and I had with Gunter that day in the parking lot when he advised us:
"We've been so kind as to allow you access to our mountain via our lifts when we really don't make any money out of it...only out of a love for bikes. If you continue to do this, we would be forced to ban you from the mountain. Thank you."
not an exact quote but the direct point of the conversation...I didn't take it too seriously at the time..but after spending some time getting him to allow me to cut trail on the mountain... I'm going to be concerned with posting a shuttle online for every tom, dick and Cecil to go breaking the rule that I and a select few are privilige to.
Shhhhh, they're listening..........

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
bizutch said:
Well, Tom and Dick do not deserve a 30 minute ride to the top of Sugar after having driven 5 hours to get there. Well, Cecil on the other hand, maybe we can slow them down a little more. :blah:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
profro said:
Why include this... :rolleyes:
He is just pretending that he and few people are the only ones that know about that shuttle, when everybody and their mama uses it.
Its pretty much common knowledge up there. Most people figure it out as they sit on that lift watching the leaves change color and wondering if there is not a better way.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
well, then let me re-phrase it since you think you're right and I'm wrong.
If Gunter catches you and he's not on a first name basis with you, you stand a good chance of either being banned, arrested or both because he is a very strict owner. Is that a better way to put it?

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
just get some type of baja truck and shuttle right up the middle of the mtn...that way you'll have fun going up and down...and it'll be like a 3 min shuttle run

btw a baja truck is gonna set back about 100,000$

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
santacruzed said:
so is it or isn't it legal to shuttle ur self up?
At Sugar, it is illegal for you to shuttle the mountain. It's just like during ski season...if somebody drove you to the top and you skied down, you could be arrested. if you have not purchased a ticket from them thus signing a waiver of liability, you are tresspassing and have no legal rights to sue, etc. :D
At Wolf, it is the same rule.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
santacruzed said:
ok so at sugar u just have to wait till the weekends that the lifts are open?
Yeah, it is normally sometime in June when they start running them.
And you will get to top sometime in July. :D
No, seriously, sometimes they run faster than other times.
Somebody told me a few years back they were clocking it at 18 minutes,
but last year, it was easily 25 on the way up. It is convenient to use the lift though.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
stubby said:
can you please help me i dont give a crap about the freakin lifts, i want a place to ride you pu**ys., except for the people who dont care about riding a long lift. as santacruzed said its better than pushing, so does anyone know where to ride around here DOWNHILL i dont care about lifts or pushing it, as long as i can ride.
Bottom line is from July 4th weekend through Labor Day weekend you can ride the lifts all day for $20 at Sugar (weekends only). All info is at www.skisugar.com

Even as slow as the lifts are, you can still easily get 10+ runs in a day which will leave you plenty fried and content you got your money's worth.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
I know BKquill and Taz will likely be there opening weekend. I'll be at a BMX race but will hit it one of the weekends shortly thereafter.