Quantcast

Sugar race

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay now that registration problems are solved. does anyone know of a good cheap hotel that they have stayed in before and would reccomend it. i know its off topic but i thought it would be better to do it in here then start a new thread. thanks in advance. :thumb:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Nomad - maybe try the Pineola Inn, right off Hwy 221, near Linville (828-733-4979)...Dunno how much, but it *looks* like it should be pretty reasonable...Also, there's a campground off of Hwy. 105 heading into Boone...I think it's $16 a night, and they have showers and bathrooms...Wanna say it's Grandfather Mtn. campground, but don't know for sure...

Now on another subject concerning the race, did anyone else notice the flyer says Sport and Beginner classes only race from the 3/4 station, and apparently do not hit Lizard's Lane? Last year, I raced Sport and we went through Lizards, just like the Experts...However, I was told that the Sport women didn't race through Lizards last year...Weird...

Anyway, I'm glad I'm racing Expert now, but it kinda sux for the Sport guys and gals IMHO...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
^^
Nah, I'd rather just bitch and moan about it on RM... :thumb:

Seriously, should I also let Kim know as well? I'm also thinking about telling her that if we aren't allowed to ride the new upper section, Butch will forego his traditional post-race run autograph session... :)

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
The campground is called grandfather campground. Its actually has nice facilities. Its only 8-10min from the lifts.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
jackalope said:
Now on another subject concerning the race, did anyone else notice the flyer says Sport and Beginner classes only race from the 3/4 station, and apparently do not hit Lizard's Lane? Last year, I raced Sport and we went through Lizards, just like the Experts...However, I was told that the Sport women didn't race through Lizards last year...Weird...

Anyway, I'm glad I'm racing Expert now, but it kinda sux for the Sport guys and gals IMHO...
I'm also hearing rumors that there is no practice on saturday. according to the flyer, there is no time. how can they do that? if no practice, then me and the boy no racey. seems like a liability issue to me as well.

last year, sport men did the same course as Experts and beginner ran the HT course that has those hellacious uphills.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
There are lots of things about this race that are wierd. It seems as if they are running the same event as 8 years ago. No practice on Saturday, the race is on Saturday, the pros go off at 10:00, while the Mighty Mites go off at 2:00?!?!?!?!?!? Seems like they need to update their schedule. It really don't like anything about this race other than its a race. I think I know why racing is dead in the Southeast. Check out a race put on by the Cycle Cyndicate out in the Rockies and you'll know what a great race is like.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
So if I race sport, I'm not going to hit Lizard Licks or whatever it is? So I'm come out of acne alley or the babyhead graveyard and then were do I go? Straight down the slope? I'm not being a smarta$$, but this is only my 2nd race in the world of MTBing and I'm just wondering. I would like to go through licking lizard, but the more I can get on the gas, the more of advantage I think I would have. All those years of doing sprints with a BMX bike just might payoff! But seriously, I would have a hell of a lot more fun hitting loving lizards lane. Is this one of those things that no one really knows about until we get there?

Brian

Sep 30, 2004
Hey,

i'd love to try this race would it be outta the question to try it on a Stock specialized P2? I mean does anyone run Hard tails out there?

Cause it looks like a blast!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
thanks guys for all the info. i would stay at the campground but one guy out of my crew has crazy sheltering parents and wont let him camp. we dont even know if there going to let him stay the night. :mumble: :mumble: . so looks like a hotel for us. thanks for all the great info.

ohh and about the sport classes, the last time i looked at the courses and stuff they said that sport and expert were racing on the same trail. i dont know if this has changed or not. it also said that there were going to be practice runs open at 8:00 am on saturday then the experts would start off at ten. i dont know if that has changed but thats just what i saw. hope thats what it is keep the fingers crossed and the wheels pointing down the mountain. :thumb:

think1up

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Where are you guys getting this no Lizzard's Lane for Sport from?

Check brochure. And according to the brochure, there is no practice on Saturday.

Attachments

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
GD-it...My bad on the whole Sport - Lizard Ln. thing...Saw the 'Sport F' excluded, and didn't realize it was the ladies...I still think it sux for them, but I guess it's no different from last year in that regard...

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Nope, I'll be working for the man. Is there practice on Saturday and what up with the upper super xtremeo section?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
spoke80 said:
Nope, I'll be working for the man. Is there practice on Saturday and what up with the upper super xtremeo section?
Well, I don't know about Saturday's practice, but there has never been a real Saturday practice anyway. The race starts at 10:00 with a 30 minute lift ride. Sugar has never been worth doing unless you can get in some runs on Friday.
And the upper section is closed.
They are about as clueless as possible when it comes to this event.

Same flier for 10 years.
Same course for 10 years.
Same AA battery powered lift for 10 years.
Same mindset about not making changes for 10 years.

Yet somehow they want to have a National.
Well, I don't know the way Nationals are going it might make perfect match.

Southeast riders who are fed up with this nonsense should plan to take a trip to the September race at Diablo. It is worth the drive, and it will show us all how it is supposed to be done. Even non-racers should go for the riding alone.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just did two races out west and had a tremendous experience. Snowmass was a national and well... it was hurried and very busy trying to get in all the practice you need during the allotted time while trying to get a rear wheel and a shock rebuilt. However the following week I did the Full Tilt at Telluride. The top half of the course was built the week of the race and the bottom half was the old World Cup course, which basically zig zags down the slope. The course was the same for all classes with go-arounds to the difficult sections. There was plenty of practice on Friday, Saturday and one hour before the race on Sunday afternoon. The lift lines got a little out of control due to the gondola and the number of racers, but the promoters adapted and offered an additional pro/semi-pro only practice for one hour Saturday afternoon. What a diiference that made. The results were prompt and the racing went off without any stupid delays. I paid $60 to race and thought every minute was worth it. To boot the course was maintained as it got run in. As problem areas occured course marshalls were there with shovels in hand to fix the problems. One addtional thing I thought was cool was that in sections the course tapping was 60 feet wide allowing for mulitple lines to develop. It was cool to see how personal riding styles dictated which line you took.

How many ways is that different from Sugar?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
profro said:
I just did two races out west and had a tremendous experience. Snowmass was a national and well... it was hurried and very busy trying to get in all the practice you need during the allotted time while trying to get a rear wheel and a shock rebuilt. However the following week I did the Full Tilt at Telluride. The top half of the course was built the week of the race and the bottom half was the old World Cup course, which basically zig zags down the slope. The course was the same for all classes with go-arounds to the difficult sections. There was plenty of practice on Friday, Saturday and one hour before the race on Sunday afternoon. The lift lines got a little out of control due to the gondola and the number of racers, but the promoters adapted and offered an additional pro/semi-pro only practice for one hour Saturday afternoon. What a diiference that made. The results were prompt and the racing went off without any stupid delays. I paid $60 to race and thought every minute was worth it. To boot the course was maintained as it got run in. As problem areas occured course marshalls were there with shovels in hand to fix the problems. One addtional thing I thought was cool was that in sections the course tapping was 60 feet wide allowing for mulitple lines to develop. It was cool to see how personal riding styles dictated which line you took.

How many ways is that different from Sugar?
yeah...cause the race that you put on at Windrock is gonna be so awesome right?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
bizutch said:
yeah...cause the race that you put on at Windrock is gonna be so awesome right?
That is the EXACT reason why I haven't put any races on as well as why Joey hasn't allowed any either. He, as well as the rest of us were very dissappointed with how the past Windrock races have gone off.

Racers putting on races usually is a bad idea. I think it works well for little races like Dark Mtn and ETSU where the atmosphere is chill. but at Windrock and Bigfoot it didn't work out so well.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Wow, where's the stoke!

All i'm hearing is negative hog wash. I'll be at the rock or mo-town for Saturday.

Go for a ride!

go on now....get....shoo.....scat!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Lets plan a rental car together if you are flying. I'm going to fly in Friday night, ride on Saturday/Sunday and fly out on Sunday night, possibly Monday morning.

Vermont = 5 hrs of practice with no Alpine or Dominion
Diablo = Way too much practice plus all the runs down Alpine you can handle

Diablo > Vermont

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
profro said:
Lets plan a rental car together if you are flying. I'm going to fly in Friday night, ride on Saturday/Sunday and fly out on Sunday night, possibly Monday morning.

Vermont = 5 hrs of practice with no Alpine or Dominion
Diablo = Way too much practice plus all the runs down Alpine you can handle

Diablo > Vermont
No doubt, I think the Dominion/Alpine combo is what is making up my mind.
I still dream at night that I am dragging my bar through Alpine. :drool:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Jeremy R said:
Ben, you should go man! Those races are non-Norba, so no license is required.

Let me dip into my enormous bag of excuses:

1. Work (no time off)
2. School
3. I'm a lame ass
4. refer to 1-3

From what I get from Doug Diablo sound like a fantasy land.