Quantcast

Suggestion on Fork replacement.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have a 2001 Trek 8000. It's a great bike and I would love to replace the fork.

How exactly would I go about finding out how much travel the fork has and what work would be a good replacement. It's a 2001 Judy TT.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
stosh said:
I have a 2001 Trek 8000. It's a great bike and I would love to replace the fork.

How exactly would I go about finding out how much travel the fork has and what work would be a good replacement. It's a 2001 Judy TT.
Either 65 or 80mm --> http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/forks/judy/2001/01RSJett_JudyTTOwnersManual.pdf

So don't go more than 80mm and you will be fine.

If you really have to know, put a zip tie on the stanchion and go ride it and then measure how much travel.

acs

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
stosh said:

I think you posed this same question way back with your 18,974th post. I told you that you should replace it with the new fox 100x, which is a steal at only three times the value of your bike.

If you're serious though...pop a zip tie on the stachion tube and get some mad air. Land hard and measure that distance. It's probably around 3". A good replacement would be a reba, or similar 4" travel fork.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Wumpus said:
Either 65 or 80mm --> http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/forks/judy/2001/01RSJett_JudyTTOwnersManual.pdf

So don't go more than 80mm and you will be fine.

If you really have to know, put a zip tie on the stanchion and go ride it and then measure how much travel.
yep yep. If it's an 80mm, I think you could get away with a 100mm fork without wacking things out too much, if you were looking for a little extra travel.

Any mid-grade fork from the big 4 is going to be an improvement over what you've got. For the price, I really like the look of the new Rebas (though I'm yet to ride one). With the R7s coming out, you might be able to find some good deals skarebs, though I don't know when the R7s are going to be hitting dealers. A black would be a good choice for us bigger guys who might be harder on our gear. Fox forks clearly kick ass, but you'll pay through the nose for them.

Keep an eye on the buy and sell forums... not much XC stuff comes through there (especially suspension), but every now and again there's a good deal.

Also, be sure to check the steerer. I've got a Judy TT from about the same time with a 1" steerer. If your's in a 1"er, that will severely limit your options.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
yep yep. If it's an 80mm, I think you could get away with a 100mm fork without wacking things out too much, if you were looking for a little extra travel.

Any mid-grade fork from the big 4 is going to be an improvement over what you've got. For the price, I really like the look of the new Rebas (though I'm yet to ride one). With the R7s coming out, you might be able to find some good deals skarebs, though I don't know when the R7s are going to be hitting dealers. A black would be a good choice for us bigger guys who might be harder on our gear. Fox forks clearly kick ass, but you'll pay through the nose for them.

Keep an eye on the buy and sell forums... not much XC stuff comes through there (especially suspension), but every now and again there's a good deal.

Also, be sure to check the steerer. I've got a Judy TT from about the same time with a 1" steerer. If your's in a 1"er, that will severely limit your options.
I'll have to go and measure the steerer when I get home.

Also with a good push I can bottom the fork out so I'll measure it to be sure about the travel.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
Also with a good push I can bottom the fork out so I'll measure it to be sure about the travel.
My judy is pretty soft was well... probably the biggest reason I never really liked it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
My judy is pretty soft was well... probably the biggest reason I never really liked it.
yeah that and there isn't much travel.

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
Hold off for the new manitou xc fork, the one replacing the skareb. Looks awesome, lighter, stronger, and plusher.