Quantcast

Sun MTX & Nokian NBX DH 2.3 ride report.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all,

I ve just returned from a quick spin in the local woods to try my new wheelset and tires. Out of a mistake , the lbs gave me Nokian NBX 2.3 DH tires instead of the normal NBX 2.3. The differences are basically a 4ply casing (or 4 cord layers in the sidewalls, 6 under thread), 1000gr each, and a durometer of 55 instead of, 750gr and durometer of 60 on the normal NBX. The good news is that i didnt notice any difference given that i added 1lb on each wheel, now i am either dumb or whatever.

The other good news is that i could ride up and down on steep stuff that was impossible given my old Roll-X tires, and i really noticed the quality of engagement and pawls on the Hope hubs... the clicking sound they make is just awesome. Also on the rims....very stiff, and they gave the tire an excellent profile with no side deflections on corners. Ok i am no proper downhiller like most of you guys, but i am 210lbs and i can put a lot of stress on stuff during trailriding.

I just hope that the 55 DH durometer on the nokians will last for a season... but i ll just stick to them... i might try the normal nbx when these wear out.

Other things to report... i was dumb enough to forget ETA on my fork, while trying to decend some steps...and i thought...damn these are difficult... after some minutes i realized my bad...and switched the fork on full travel... :D:D:D:D (z1).

All in all, money well spent for me... the wheelset/tires gave me a lot of confidence... but i still need to chop another inch of my seatpost coz i have balance problems on steep stuff... and to get a 90mm or 70mm stem with a 2" rise bar. (now i got 110mm stem with 1" rise bars).

Thats all.

Yannis

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by math2014

I just hope that the 55 DH durometer on the nokians will last for a season... but i ll just stick to them... i might try the normal nbx when these wear out.
I go through 3 pairs of tires a year...I don't think I would expect any tire to last doing dh (especially since you do the long ride on concrete as well)

Other things to report... i was dumb enough to forget ETA on my fork, while trying to decend some steps...and i thought...damn these are difficult... after some minutes i realized my bad...and switched the fork on full travel... :D:D:D:D (z1).
I have had eta for 3 years...still haven't used it...haha I must be the only one. I don't pounce on my fork so it doesn't hinder my climbing at all