Quantcast

Sunday cruiser size choice

knowayback

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
Jim C wants us to pick 2 lengths of toptube for the new Sunday Model C 24 frame.

Thus I implore you to get on over to www.sundaybikes.com am post up your preferences - theres also some nice new pics of the bike.

Personally I reckon they need one 21.5 for those under 6ft and a 22.5 for those over, or 22.5 for those with bad backs and 21.5 for those without!

I really hope these go into production and at least one size is 22+...

Also please ask for shorter stays, a wave downtube and a brakeless option...!

If enough of us comment we may have a say in the look and feel of the final frame....
....that's if we agree.............LOL!:imstupid:

knowayback

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
At least just show some support if nothing else we might get new 24 Odyssey/G-sport rims & tyres if they think theres enough of a market

dhallilama

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
i'm seriously hoping they go into production as well... from the sounds of it, i'd be happy with a 21" (though i do like a compact bike)... but i'd buy a 22" tt. really, top tube length isn't the only factor in how a bike feels... i dig the geo on Sunday's BMX bikes, so i trust the model-c will be good.

i just hope there is enough positive feedback to offset the internet boy wankers that feel the need to spout their negative feelings towards anything other than a 20". if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. piss off.

i've given plenty of positive feedback... to the point where i worry about being viewed as a stalker :) ... i'm just very stoked that a modern geometry 24" is FINALLY on the horizon. as far as i'm concerned, there is absolutely nothing to really compete with the model-c at the moment. what other 24s are out there? there's the MTBMX group (trail-or-park, fall guy, etc)... and there are traditional/old geometry cruiser 24s... a scaled-up modern BMX: perfect!

btw... good job spreading the word :)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
honestly, i hope it's some small company etc. who makes the ultimate street bmx cruiser we've been talking about and promote it real hard, with team riders who ride the bike. video clips with full street, ramp, and dirt parts etc. i can't think of a bmx company ever doing that. Union Street, Tonic and those guys do.

bmx companies in general offer cruisers as after-thoughts, either old-guy race bikes or a bike "to ride to the store on." (i remember the Volume Sledgehammer advertising specifically saying that).

Jim C says on the website: "It was fun just dorking around on it and it was even more fun when you realized everything was possible on it"

at least Jim C made the point about "everything possible on it." that's what other bmx companies have not been pushing. and he's an innovative dude. so a Sunday cruiser would be cool. but there's no need to jump in and try to make him design a bike that is completely different than what he has in mind (which is basically retro old school cruiser geo).

. . . . . and i don't know why dude below brought in mtbmx. Sunday is not going that direction.

bp said...
so i guess this is my question. judging by the pictures, you are wanting this bike to be more of a free-ride bike. like the mountain bikers trying to ride big wheeled bikes like bmxers (not hating).

question is...are you trying to make a bike for bmxers to cruise to the store on? or are you trying to cross over to the free-ride community? if that is the case i would not ask bmxers what they want out of this frame. i would go to the mtb forums.

10/15/08 11:51 AM

toby said...
21.75 & 22.25
shorter stays buy keep it BMX
Longer tt is definately more applealing as the whole reason i wanna ride 24 is cos i feel too cramped on a twenty, but do NOT want a mtb - the clues in the word "mountain"
I ride street & park not mountains.
hope you do a black colour...
Will definately buy one if theres a 22" tt

10/15/08 12:40 PM

toby said...
"question is...are you trying to make a bike for bmxers to cruise to the store on? or are you trying to cross over to the free-ride community?"

How about just making a legit freestyle orientated 24 - you do not need suss forks or slack head angles for street/park/trails.

10/15/08 12:43 PM

Anonymous said...
Ideally 21, 21.5, 22 & 22.5

But if only 2 - 21.25 & 22.25

This is obviosly not intended as anything like a mtb or mtbmx (which IMO are the most confused bikes ever! It's like they can't take the plunge and be proper big BMXes so they settle for HUGE gaps between tyre and fork and downright odd looks)

If you ride a rigid, singlespeed, 24wheeled "mtb" with 1 or no brakes - it's not really a ****in mtb is it. This is exactly why we need a bike like the model C mtbmxes are getting ever closer to this - a company like Sunday needs to step up and say "For ****s sake lets do this properly" and make a XXL BMX - stop ****ing about with all this wishy washy slack angled, lowBB bull****.

We need a proper 24 with proper 24 forks and BMX geo - cept bigger.

Also people need to get over all this cruiser bashing and put function b4 bloody fashion

Anonymous said...
one 21+ and one 22+
personally i'd want a 22.5, but will buy anything 22+
Really looking forward to getting one of these, finally someones doing it!
however cos of my height i'll have to leave it if theres nothing over 22

Also just wanted to say;
I care nothing for wheel size - they all have their merits, but...if you ride suss and discs on park, street and trails - your an idiot - leave our **** alone. A place for everthing and everything in it's place...

sorry, but i had to get it off my chest

Anonymous said...
1 - 21.5 and 22.5

2 - already have a 21.25 BMX

It seems silly to me to give a big wheeled bike the same length toptube as 90% of modern 20 frames, and in fact shorter than alot.
In terms of dimensions cruisers should start where 20's stop, i know of 3 22"(macneil deuce deuce, dk r/t, urie dog)20 frames and 3 21.5" 20 frames (mutiny vape, fit lurch, subrosa09) and god knows how many 21.25s
(and if your less than 6ft just stick with a 20 if u wanna keep a short wheelbase, let us tall guys have our bikes - we're seriously badly catered for in the freestyle world)
theres no way i'd wanna ride 24" wheels with less than 22" up front - and I really do wanna ride 24s - especially with the high bb and tight head angle
cheer for giving us some input jim

10/15/08 6:50 PM

Anonymous said...
21.5 and 22.5

Short stays!

I don't care about the mtb or mtbmx being like bmx non-sense. I have a 20 and I have an xc mountain bike. I would like a decent 24" cruiser too. There isn't a decent one yet, I hope you will have the first. Put me on the list if it works out!

Last edited:

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
Figure out the most popular "front center" (effective TT) measurements on your 20" models and copy that. I'm not sure what the demographic is you are going after; anything shorter that 21" will most likely have toe overlap issues with your seat/head angles. That's a big CPSC no-no on completes.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I'm pretty sure Jim C could get busy on anything. Seriously.

I've ridden a few super high BB bikes..BMW park Bike, Namaiki, and a custom creation. It ain't my taste, but to each their own. I also like terry cloth shirts, the films of Terry Gillian, nearly everything the by the Brian Jonestown Massacre. There's no right answer to bike geometry. Just what feels good. To you.

no, what i meant was they promote 24"s as an all-around bike that is actually designed for the purpose of street, skatepark and jumping.
It's true...I've always promoted the Fall Guy an an all-around bike. Touring, DH racing and triathlons.. Fall Guys are perfect for anything.

Lately, between gas prices and the tough economy, I've been pushing the Fall Guy and Howie as commuter bikes. It's a bit of stretch to imagine commuting on a Fall Guy, but it's worth a shot.

Here's a regular dude just getting from Point A to B on his Tonic.

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
DIMENSIONS:
Top Tube 21 Rear End 15.25
HT 74.5 ST 71
BB Height 13.75"

As it is now, it's not much better (for me) than the "race" cruisers. The only improvement is the chainstay length.
BB is WAY TOO HIGH
TT is WAY TOO SHORT
:D

Ideal, (in my opinion) would be:
Top Tube 22
Rear End 15.25
HT 74
ST 71
BB Height 12 (max)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
http://www.sundaybikes.com/v3/products/plus-4/

I’m not a tall guy at all, in fact I’m 5’6” would I be able to ride this bike?

Oh yeah easily, I’m 5’8” and I can ride it no problem. I’ve done pretty much every trick I can do on my 20” without the length and size being too much of an issue. We offer two sizes 21.25” and 21.75”, so you’ll probably want to go with the 21.25”. Other than that this bike will work just fine for you.

Back in the day I was totally into BMX, but I’ve been out of it for so long. I’d love to get back into it and ride since so many parks are opening up everywhere, but I’m nervous about how small and twitchy 20” BMXs ride today. Any help you can give me?

Well, I totally understand your feelings. When we first started riding the Model C 24” bikes, we took it to this awesome 7ft mini. The Model C rode really well no problem, but when I switched back to the 20” that’s when I had a shocking realization. There was such a difference going from a 24” to a 20”. I was blown away.

So here’s my suggestion, ride a Model C 24”. You won’t have to worry about the bike being too small or twitchy. The bike is still agile like the 20” and there’s a good amount of room, so you don’t feel cramped. Its way more stable in the air plus it actually has a functionally seat. The learning curve is about the same as a 20”. It’s still a BMX bike and not a hybrid MTB, so you can still say you ride BMX too.

Finally, someone comes out with a good 24” BMX, but I’m from MTB and I only ride a 22.5” top tube. How much do you think a 0.75 inch shorter top tube will affect me?

To be honest, MTB top tubes are measured differently, so it would be incorrect to use the same method to judge frame sizing. The range of top tube lengths in BMX is only about a ½ in. The most popular sizes are between 20.5” and 21”. MTB top tube range can be more dramatic than BMX’s ½ in. The Model C is not designed to fit any suspension forks or any thing similar only Sunday Morning 24.1 forks. MTB and BMX guys are all about the same size, so if it fits us then it will fit you.

Recently, my son started to ride BMX and since I rode along time ago, I thought we could easily do this together. I’m just worried about getting hurt and actually not looking like a lame dad in front of my kid. I’ve heard the Model C is stable and a little safer than a normal 20”. Do you think it will work for me?

Well, I’m definitely not going to say that there is no way that you are going to get hurt on this bike because it is totally possible. But if you’ve ridden in the past then you have some knowledge and understanding of BMX bikes. This is exactly the same as a 20” BMX just scaled up to 24”. However, scaling up to a 24” will make it more stable and less uncertain than a 20”, so you’ll have a way better chance of making it to work on Monday morning in one piece. The best part is you can do father and son lines at the skatepark!

What do you think about younger riders getting this bike? Wouldn’t they just get a 20 instead?

Yeah most likely they will get a 20”. When you get under the spell of a 20” BMX its hard to break free. This bike doesn’t discriminate on style, size, height or age. It really has that feel of a 20” BMX bike, but you are riding a bigger bike. Same tricks, same style and same feel just on a different bike. Young people fit into the type of person who will ride this bike. All you have to be is just into BMX. It’s that simple.

I feel cramped on a 20” BMX bike due to my height. I’m looking for more room and I think I need something bigger than a 21.75”. I fear that this size would not offer me enough room. Is it enough room?

Well, this bike with the higher handlebars and longer front end will provide lots of room and make it feel longer. The extra height off the ground will make it feel roomier. If it gets too long then you start to loose some of its agility. Our goal was to make a larger bike that performed almost like a 20”, but provided some of the features that a 20” might be missing. I’d think you would be fine on a 21.75.

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
anyone know how long of a tt I would need on a cruiser? my Aitken is 21" and feels way too short, my mob is 22.5 with low bars and an S&M Pitch26 fork and feels just about right although my cruiser could be slightly shorter..

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
anyone know how long of a tt I would need on a cruiser? my Aitken is 21" and feels way too short, my mob is 22.5 with low bars and an S&M Pitch26 fork and feels just about right although my cruiser could be slightly shorter..
i think somewhere around 22" or even up to 22.5" would be good on a 24" bmx cruiser for you if you know you already like a 22.5" MOB and you feel like a 21"tt aitken is too short.

here's a cruiser with 22.5"tt:

from vintage bmx:
http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=27023466

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
from Sunday website:
http://www.sundaybikes.com/v3/

The Sunday 24″ Model C was introduced at last September’s Interbike to a mix of fanfare and uncertainty. The biggest controversy was its geometry with its much higher bottom bracket and shorter rear as compared to other 24″ cruisers available. It took a lot to explain the ideas behind it as you might have seen in the Model C video edit in March and there’s even an FAQ about the Model C. The goal was to make a 24″ BMX bike that could do all the tricks a 20″ could do. Before the Model C, cruisers were race orientated and the thought of doing tricks on it didn’t really exist. Others in the industry claimed that since they were “a former top cruiser racer” that the Model C wouldn’t work. They basically said we didn’t know what we were doing. Sorry to say, but we’ve been approved by riders through out the world and from companies like We the People and Fit who’ve adapted the Model C’s geometry for their cruiser completes. It has been a great year since the last Interbike and I know it will be another great year with the introduction of our complete Sunday Model C next spring. So, not only can you get a high end frame and fork that is required by a skilled rider, but you will also be able to get started on a 24″ without spending too much money. Check below for some photos of the Model C since last Interbike.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
yall feel 'shook up' or what !?

The geometry that shook up the cruiser world is now
offered as a complete bike. The Model C utilizes
a full chromoly frame, fork and handlebar. So, you
get a durable bike with amazing geometry, but now
you get to experience the Model C at a great price!

Sunday Parts: Front Load Stem,
Seat Clamp and 25T 6061 CNC Sprocket.

Odyssey Parts: 10t V3 Cassette Hub,
Aitken Tires, Twisted PC Pedals,
Evo II Brakes, Monolever, Linear Slic Kable,
Team Grips and Aitken Pivotal Seat.

Colors: Flat Black or Vanilla

http://www.sundaybikes.com/v3/complete-bikes/model-c-complete/

"The goal was to make a 24″ BMX bike that could do all the tricks a 20″ could do. Before the Model C, cruisers were race orientated and the thought of doing tricks on it didn’t really exist. "

. . . . the thought of doing tricks on cruisers didn't exist ????? then why did so many companies offer 24"s with 14mm axles, and even gyros. or even reach back in time to the Haro Backtrail, Mosh 24", We The People Avenue, Homeless Fatty, Standard Trail Boss 24, and Brooklyn Machine Works 24".

Last edited:

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
Been riding my Model C for over a month now. I'm 5'8" and the 21.25" works perfect for me. I can't imagine needing anything more than the 21.75" that Sunday is offering. I could understand this if you had a race mentality. Longer top tubes and lower bottom brackets are great for racing. I don't thing this is who Sunday is trying to cater to.

I have handed my bike over to 20-30 kids that normally ride a 20". The response was unanimous. They all loved it and said it rode just like a big 20". All had smiles on their faces and all couldn't believe how easy this bike was to ride.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Been riding my Model C for over a month now. I'm 5'8" and the 21.25" works perfect for me. I can't imagine needing anything more than the 21.75" that Sunday is offering. I could understand this if you had a race mentality. Longer top tubes and lower bottom brackets are great for racing. I don't thing this is who Sunday is trying to cater to.

Fast forward a bit, and the Wave C is offering some of what we talked about . . . longer top tube and shorter rear end. . . .

More geo options is a good thing.

http://www.sundaybikes.com/catalog/frames/plus-4/wave-c/

Specs
◦TT Lengths: 21.25″ or 22″
◦CS Length: 14.6″ slammed
◦BB Height: 13.75″
◦Angles: 74.5º HT, 71º SA
◦Standover (C-To-C): 9.75″

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Liquid still seems like a better choice. Wish I had one I could test ride....

IMO, 24's should have a short back end.