Quantcast

Sunday Elite custom build

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Well, I couldn't wait any longer for a Factory frame so opted for an Elite. The bike built up relatively well with only a few minor issues. I will be putting the bike through its passes tomorrow and will post a follow-up and mini review once I have more time on it. I am still waiting on some bits to polish her off but it's 90% done. I will be running a 36T e.thirteen for rocky tracks but will run this 38T for smoother tracks, like our local hill is. Bike as seen here is 42lbs.

Thanks to Todd & Alex from Iron Horse, the lads at Shimano, Krispy from Go-Ride, John from e.thirteen and Darren from Push for their help with my sled. And as always, thanks to Acadian for his help and insight.

Here are some pics of the initial build. Giddy up!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...hotness.

The new "Magnum Silver" color really has some depth to it... and nice parts spec too.

One thing though - I'd be careful running a Comp 24 up front unless you cut the tread to "open it up" a bit. Comp 24's at the limit up front tend to wash out or break traction without warning at times. A comp 16 might be a better choice.

BTW - are you running tubeless?

...I wonder if anyone else is getting an Elite?:think:

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
S.K.C. said:
...hotness.

The new "Magnum Silver" color really has some depth to it... and nice parts spec too.

One thing though - I'd be careful running a Comp 24 up front unless you cut the tread to "open it up" a bit. Comp 24's at the limit up front tend to wash out or break traction without warning at times. A comp 16 might be a better choice.

BTW - are you running tubeless?

...I wonder if anyone else is getting an Elite?:think:
Thanks,

Yeah, I like the color too. I would have preferred a Factory but... meh, life goes on. I am after the ride quality more than anything and I see no reason that this frame won't handle the same way as a Factory. It would have been nice to lose the extra pound but I can live with that. I also like the Comp 24 cut. I cut the front but like the rear as is. I find it has a more progressive feel like that. I even run it flipped in some situations, but rarely cut it.

I am indeed running tubeless.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
very nicely done, was shocked when i saw the weight i thought it would be much lighter.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
julian_dh said:
very nicely done, was shocked when i saw the weight i thought it would be much lighter.
Its shocking when someone tells the truth about their bike weight on RM isn't it! :rofl:

Bike looks good man!, I am loving mine and that looks like a solid build, should rip for sure, and once you get used to how the Sunday rides I am sure you will be even more stoked on it!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Looks really good. Is that a 16"? It looks pretty short in the pictures.

julian_dh said:
Me too, I was expecting a lower figure also.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
There must be some weight crazyness going with people claiming who light their bikes are. That weight seems spot on my US frame with Boxxer WC, TI spring etc is 41 with pedals.

Sweet build buy the way except I can only recommend 165mm cranks on the Sunday.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
CBJ said:
Sweet build buy the way except I can only recommend 165mm cranks on the Sunday.
Agreed! Those are 165mm cranks though by the way.

Great first day of runs!!! Bike had zero mechanical issues. It really is a unique bike and I liked it immediately. It’s stiff and incredibly consistent through it’s travel. It took no time to get used to how to ride it for 90% of the terrain but will take some time to completely master I think. I was surprised a few times by how it reacted to mid sized hits. I still need some saddle and set up time to make the most of this bike. It took the big hits well, pedaled like a champ and felt very neutral in the air. I really need to get the 36T ring and guide tho. I smoked the guide a few times where I wouldn't have expected to. Love the bike, more to follow...

Pce,

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Nice built you got there! Definitely different from any other elite I have seen! I like the integrated stem as well. These rock.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I just got done building up my Sunday Elite yesterday, and took it on it's first ride last night. I'm taking pictures of it now, and will be posting them up soon!

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I had a low budget for this build, but I also got lucky and got some good deals so it's spec'd pretty well I think. I like it a lot, even the '02 Boxxer WC, just replaced the seals in it so it's nice and plush. There are still a few things I need to get, but it's almost done. I took it for it's first ride yesterday so i'ts a bit dirty. :) I'm running a 40t chain ring, and will probably get a 36t or 38t for rockier coarses. I'm planning on getting either an 06 Boxxer Team or a 888RC2X in a month or so. I'm loving the Juicy Seven's, they're just about broken in from riding them on my BigHit the past few days, very powerful, great modulation and compliment the Sunday's performance quite well. Overall, I'm very happy with the bike, it definately corner's like it's on rails, sprints between switchbacks like it's supercharged, and flattens rock gardens. Thanx goes out to Von at Go-Ride and Kerry at Beyond Bikes for being ultra helpful with getting the frame and parts to me in time to build the bike for this weekend's Cal State DH Championship race.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Most definately! I'll be riding it on saturday's too! :) lol Actually I plan on riding at least 4 time a week! get ready for the US MTB Nat' Champs at Sonoma.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
How far in the crowns does everyone like to run their forks? DW, I know you had a 40, did you run them flush? Most guys seem to run them all the way down, just curious what everyone thought about it.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
FastTimes said:
How far in the crowns does everyone like to run their forks? DW, I know you had a 40, did you run them flush? Most guys seem to run them all the way down, just curious what everyone thought about it.
Take the spring out and compress the fork so it uses all of its travel. I like to set mine up a 1/2" above that mark so everything clears but the front end is nice and low/agressive.

Dan

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Alex966
when getting a new fork, please remember if you go with the new 888 you'll need a new brake caliper adapter. the boxxer is it's own thing.
go with the boxxer team, i love my new WC. (also 2002, the red ones, there was only one boxxer anyway)

beautiful bike btw..

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
rockymt21 said:
Take the spring out and compress the fork so it uses all of its travel. I like to set mine up a 1/2" above that mark so everything clears but the front end is nice and low/agressive.

Dan
Thanks rockymt21, that's how I initially set it up as well but have since dropped 'em 10mm more to slacken it and raise the BB a bit. Seems ok but I just noticed that a lot of guys are running them all the way down and wondered how they liked it that way and why.

Lennox

Monkey
Mar 27, 2003
Toronto, Ont. Canada
Sweet ride dude.. i was droolin when i saw it in person. Such a nice day up at Blue on Friday :) I'll have to take a closer look next time. I love that frame.

ps... im Steves buddy (red truck) ... See ya later!

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Lennox said:
Sweet ride dude.. i was droolin when i saw it in person. Such a nice day up at Blue on Friday :) I'll have to take a closer look next time. I love that frame.

ps... im Steves buddy (red truck) ... See ya later!
Yeah, I think everyone was drawn to it. It's the first one I have seen there and I think that was the case for most guys too. Definertely a great bike for Blue!