Quantcast

Sunrise ride

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
OK - I'm bored so I'll share.

If you've never ridden at sunrise, make it a goal this spring/summer, because it is awesome.

Last night I got all my gear ready so that when I woke up at 5:30 all I had to do was get dressed, eat quickly, and go. Here's my ride:

I'm at the trailhead at 6:00 sharp, it's still dark but I start the climb. For 6 miles I climb up singletrack. The smell of the milk thistle and oak scrub surround me as the sun starts to slowly show on the horizon. To my right is some lake and I watch as the boats launch one by one. I'm all alone up here, just me and the singletrack. I can see steam coming off my body as it mixes with the cool dawn air.

I've reached the top - it's now time for the DH...6 miles of fun. I'm riding on my new Fox RL80 so I take the time to pick "bad" lines so that I can test it, but it's smooth. I pass three guys just starting up, they seem surprized to see me.

Hah, I got the best part of the morning...sunrise.

Happy Friday!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Heidi

If you've never ridden at sunrise, make it a goal this spring/summer, because it is awesome.

Last night I got all my gear ready so that when I woke up at 5:30 all I had to do was get dressed, eat quickly, and go. Here's my ride:

I'm at the trailhead at 6:00 sharp, it's still dark but I start the climb. For 6 miles I climb up singletrack. The smell of the milk thistle and oak scrub surround me as the sun starts to slowly show on the horizon. To my right is some lake and I watch as the boats launch one by one. I'm all alone up here, just me and the singletrack. I can see steam coming off my body as it mixes with the cool dawn air.

I've reached the top - it's now time for the DH...6 miles of fun. I'm riding on my new Fox RL80 so I take the time to pick "bad" lines so that I can test it, but it's smooth. I pass three guys just starting up, they seem surprized to see me.

Happy Friday!
very nice!! rides like that are always fun. let me know hwo you like the fox fork, we are supposed to be riding those this year!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by indieboy
very nice!! rides like that are always fun. let me know hwo you like the fox fork, we are supposed to be riding those this year!!!
I know you could care less about my opinion but I have been riding an 80RL for a year now. A Very nice fork, super stiff and buttery smooth. It feels like it has more travel than other 80mm forks. Definately worth the extra weight when compared to a SID or MARS. The only problem is the paint is extremely easy to scratch or wear through.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Heidi

Happy Friday!
:thumb:
Sweet Heidi!!

I LOVE those early morning rides.
I've got this problem where I can't sleep past 7:00 on weekends, so in the winter, I am often out riding as the sun is just coming up. Best time of the day!!

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Yes!!!! Sunrise rides are awsome!

In Moab a couple years ago, I was waiting in the slickrock parking lot for it to get light enough to ride. Two miles in, I stopped and sat down and watched the sun rise. Awsome.

Bonus feature: No one rides that early so the trails are almost empty.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Westy
I know you could care less about my opinion but I have been riding an 80RL for a year now. A Very nice fork, super stiff and buttery smooth. It feels like it has more travel than other 80mm forks. Definately worth the extra weight when compared to a SID or MARS. The only problem is the paint is extremely easy to scratch or wear through.
Mine is a brand new 2003, 3rd ride only and it rocks! I agree, feels like it has more than 80 and it's smooth.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ah... sweet! I am usually always an afternoon or evening rider but I get a similar experience in the Capital forest on a morning ride when you break the fog at about 2000 feet. Below that level is cool, misty and damp - you get a real sense of isolation. When you break through the fog it's instant tree tops and bright sun - fog fills the valleys as far as the eye can see. You feel like you are on top of the world when you reach the peak but it's only 2,600 feet. :)

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Ah... sweet! I am usually always an afternoon or evening rider but I get a similar experience in the Capital forest on a morning ride when you break the fog at about 2000 feet. Below that level is cool, misty and damp - you get a real sense of isolation. When you break through the fog it's instant tree tops and bright sun - fog fills the valleys as far as the eye can see. You feel like you are on top of the world when you reach the peak but it's only 2,600 feet. :)
That is what I am talking about! Moments like that are just the best.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
All these rides sound great!

I miss riding home from work over the I-90 bridge in the wee early morning hours just as the sun stated to come up and make its beauty reflected off the water. wish I'd taken a picture...

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by spincrazy

I miss riding home from work over the I-90 bridge in the wee early morning hours just as the sun stated to come up and make its beauty reflected off the water. wish I'd taken a picture...
I'll take one for you next week. ;)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You're going to be in Seattle next week? I miss that deep, dark blue sky light they have there.
No, will Mission Bay here in San Diego do for you? I'm just aiming to please you know.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

You miss the I-90 bridge??? Things must be rough in NY! :p

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Serial Midget
You miss the I-90 bridge??? Things must be rough in NY! :p
No, I miss riding my bike from Alkai (west seattle waterfront) to Bellevue (a little past Factoria) and back (riding home over the bridge at sunrise). I was working til 4 am and later/earlier at the time.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

why would i care less about your opinion? :confused:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
No, I miss riding my bike from Alkai (west seattle waterfront) to Bellevue (a little past Factoria) and back (riding home over the bridge at sunrise). I was working til 4 am and later/earlier at the time.
Haha... you can't Alkai beach anymore; Starbucks has taken over the bicycle lane. :monkey: Bibs misses it bad. :(

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Just joking around. The truth is I don't care about your opinion.

J/K:D :dancing:
*adding you to the list who don't listen to me*
ok that makes about........um........pretty much this entire site now. mission accomplished :D

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Here on the dry side, August can get pretty hot and nasty. I"ll hit the Riverside trails at six or so. Wildlife, calm serene... I find it's almost a meditation to be out on the trail so early. It's also amazing how hot it can already be that early in the say when it's going to hit the high 90's later on.

geargrrl

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
i got in two pretty bike rides on Tuesday. We had a tease of warm weather here. It hit 27 degrees for the day and 21 in the evening. I did a mid morning and a dusk ride.

I tried out my new: mx comp fork, sram 9.o rear derailleur, sidi srs and storm litesystem.

Holy crap I feel like spring just exploded after finding this thread.