Quantcast

Super D - Weaverville

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Over the long weekend Derek and I went down to Weaverville, CA to ride and then race a Super D. Saturday was cold, foggy and drizzling when we got to the event. The 12 Hour race was in full force. That's the race Derek and I were going to do but had to cancel after injuries. So, we planned to preride the Super D race course Saturday and then race it Sunday morning. The registration said we could pedal up to the top of the course if we wanted to preride it, but that driving wasn't allowed since we would have to drive up the same road the 12 hour racers were riding up for the first 3 miles. No problem, we decided we'd pedal up. It was a 7 mile climb according to the map. The scenery was really different then anything I've ridden in.

It was the hardest 7 mile climb I think I've ever done. After the first mile of flatter trail, it became steep and steeper with no flat spots and around 2,500 to 3k of climbing shoved into the remaining 6 miles. Once we reached the top I was a bit skeptical because as I peaked off the side of the cliff it went pretty much straight down with lots of rocks and ruts. I dropped my saddle, zipped up my thermal vest and started down. For the first mile or so I was behind the saddle with my sternum actually resting on the seat. That's how far I had to get back to keep from going over the bars!

Here is the starting before we climbed...I felt like I was in Costa Rica or something with the interesting scenery.

Top of the climb - start of steep decent down into the depths of the earth.

Fast flowing singletrack further down at the bottom.

Once I made it through that the course opened up into a fast twisty singletrack through the trees...plenty of mud and puddles to splash through as well. It was a bit over a 6 mile descent with LOTS of pedaling. We finished in time to take hot showers at the High School, make ourselves some sandwiches and wash it all down with some good beer while we watched the racers come in for laps of the race. Ahhhh, it was good to not be racing.

Camping in the rain was interesting. All night long it sounded like we were in a giant popcorn popper as rain pelted our tent. Race day arrived and after a treacherous shuttle ride up the same trail we had somehow ridden up the day before, it was time to race. My legs were really tired from the ride the day before, my calf hurt, and I just wanted to play it safe. Off I went through the steep chute, huffing and puffing, pedaling hard and pushing on. The last part of the 6 miles has more ups then I remembered and my legs were completely dead. It was all I could do to keep moving and I was tired. Sadly, there were no other females doing the race so I was really racing just against myself. Guess what, I won!

Campground views:

Whiskeytown Lake

Pretty flowers.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
7 mile climb and only 6 miles of descent - that isn't fair!

Holy moly 7 miles of straight climbing - our east coast trail rides sometimes aren't even seven miles long in total!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Dang, the trails looked really nice out there. When I did the LeGrange Classic DH 2 years ago, it was unbelievably dusty/loose. From the pictures, it looked like the start of the Super-D course was a 1/3 of the way down the DH course. That section is really really steep/scary and fast.

Great write up and pictures. Are you going to the LaGrange later this year? If so I will be out there. =]

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Dang, the trails looked really nice out there. When I did the LeGrange Classic DH 2 years ago, it was unbelievably dusty/loose. From the pictures, it looked like the start of the Super-D course was a 1/3 of the way down the DH course. That section is really really steep/scary and fast.

Great write up and pictures. Are you going to the LaGrange later this year? If so I will be out there. =]
Yep, the start of the Super D uses the bottom of the DH course. And yes, I'm thankful it was damp conditions or those chutes would have claimed lives! Not sure about the LaGrange race...it's a long drive.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Way to kick ass on that first place finish! :D

Very cool pics! But your sleeveless jersey doesn't match the monkey jersey. :disgust1:

HA! That is my winter thermal vest. That thing is the best clothing item I ever got out of a sponsorship. I wear it for skiing too.